Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Denies Milking StarCraft II

Edge Online has a Q&A with Blizzard's Bob Colayco about the revelation that StarCraft II will be released as three different products. Bob flatly denies that this is a pernicious effect of the Activision Blizzard merger and also decries accusations they are trying to milk the science fiction RTS franchise: "Activision doesn’t really factor in, because ultimately the people calling the shots on how this game is going to turn out is the StarCraft II dev team. This trilogy decision was really made by that team. Effectively, what are we really talking about here? We’ve always done our RTS games with one expansion pack. So now we’re releasing two. Is it really that weird?"

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. No subject Oct 14, 2008, 16:29 Mr. Tact

I agree with everything you just said Prez.

I would add that I'm going to give Blizzard the benefit of a doubt and guess they could actually deliver enough content to justify three $50 expenditures. What remains to be seen is if they actually do.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 16:02 Prez

Well, not every expansion is created equal, so standard pricing is kind of hard. I see EA's expansions for the Sims as complete ripoffs, so I don't buy them for my daughter. Valve's expansions (you can call the episodes but it's really semantics) were priced differently, but The Episode 2 package with Portal and TF2 was an infinitely better value at 40 bucks than Episode 1 was at 20 bucks. Then there are the expansions for the total war series, which are 30 bucks and provided up to a hundred more hours of play time. I have spent about 70 hours on the Teutonic and Crusades campaigns alone for TW Kingdoms. It would be hard to pinpoint a price for the SC 2 expansions without seeing the amount and quality of the content.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 11:55 Krovven

WTF are people expecting the part 2 & 3 games to be $20? From what I remember

I don't think people are expecting them to be...but more of that's what they think would be reasonable. Unfortunately, I think we are all aware it's pretty unlikely.

Anyways, I'm not going to speculate any more without more information on the plans for pricing until Blizzard actually announces something.

----------------------------------------------------
The Witcher, GRID, WipeoutHD, NHL 09

PSN= Puscifer73 • Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

38. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 11:55 Tumbler

These days it seems the average price for an expansion is $30 anyways.

It's $40 actually. And it's reasonable to assume that they will add something to these "expansions" that make them more than just the other races campaigns.

I'm curious to hear the release schedule for the other campaigns because timing will be a huge factor here. With how long it's taken valve to complete episodes you could be waiting a year for a campaign expansion... And after spending a year playing the game how many people are going to rush out and buy some singleplayer campaign missions?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. No subject Oct 14, 2008, 11:41 wolve

WTF are people expecting the part 2 & 3 games to be $20? From what I remember, the Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne expansion was $30 at release (probably same for D2 expansion). These days it seems the average price for an expansion is $30 anyways.
Personally, I think the 2nd and 3rd parts will be $40 - $50 considering they will be standalone games.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 11:43.

36. No subject Oct 14, 2008, 11:10 Mr. Tact

It just occurred to me what this all reminds me of. When Blizzard announced World of WarCraft. Everyone and their mother was beating up Blizzard. "They've never done an MMO, they don't know what they are doing." Blah, blah, blah. If you liked StarCraft, I would pretty much bet the farm that you'll end up loving SC2 and you won't care it came out this way. Ok, so much for calm thinking.

Let the rant continue!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Message 3 Oct 14, 2008, 10:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Given the amount of content they say each expansion will have, I'd be ok with it if they charged 50 for the first and 20 for each expansion. I just don't think that's how it will turn out. Activision's annual exploitation wouldn't allow that, right? They gotta feed the beast.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

34. Re: Message 3 Oct 14, 2008, 10:34 InBlack

And selling an AAA title for 20 bucks is a realistic option?

Yeah....right....

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Message 3 Oct 14, 2008, 10:25 everyone

No, I'm not milking the cow. I've split the information for your own good. Otherwise you wouldn't comprehend it.

C'mon, Blizzavision. Either sell the first game for $50 and give away the two mission packs for free or sell each "game" for $17 (up to $20 MAX).

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 10:26.

32. Message 2 Oct 14, 2008, 10:23 everyone

Otherwise I wouldn't be able to finish it in time (although I never told you a date).

31. Message 1 Oct 14, 2008, 10:22 everyone

I'm awfully sorry, but I have to split this message into three postings.

30. Re: What's the deal???? Oct 14, 2008, 08:54 Overon

The motives are really simple to figure out. You wait for the pricing. How much for the first game and then the 2nd and then the 3rd? Also how will multiplayer be handled if you do not have one of the other games? You answers those questions and you can tell if they are milking it or not.

29. What's the deal???? Oct 14, 2008, 08:14 UConnBBall

Effectively, what are we really talking about here? We’ve always done our RTS games with one expansion pack. So now we’re releasing two. Is it really that weird?"

Um yeah but expansion packs are announced AFTER the game is released!

-UConn

28. Single player game Oct 14, 2008, 07:50 monkay

SC1's longevity lies in competitive multiplayer. Unless every episode brings something new to the multiplayer, I don't see much appeal of this for the hardcore group(mostly fans in Korea and China). A lot of people don't have the patience or just don't care enough to play through all the missions for one campaign, let alone all for the 3 races.

That said, I don't doubt the power of Blizzard fanbois. Even if the difference between each product is only in single player, I suspect Blizzard will still see huge success for each release.

27. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 06:53 InBlack

I agree with all of the negative comments here, Blizzard screwed the pooch with this one, its negative feedback that this company has been careful to avoid thus far.

Even if the game ends up awesome and gets priced accordingly, I think that this negative publicity will end up tarnishing the Blizzard name.

I for one think that the game/games are going to be great but they should have stuck to the intertwined mission formula.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 05:35 Prez

This is probably the only way from here on out that a non-MMO will ever be green-lit by Activision/Blizzard, so I guess I had better get used to it. I suppose I will once the first campaign comes out (assuming it rocks).

I don't get people's obsessions with having single player campaigns from every race. Instead of 10 terran missions, 10 zerg missions, and 10 toss missions, you get 30 terran missions with the first installment of SCII.

But that's not what I want. At all. I can't be the only one who absolutely loved the brilliant intertwined race storylines of SC and Brood War, can I? I don't see how I can play 30 missions of Terran and not be bored halfway through. The variety and the stark differences of the races kept the original SC fresh and exciting throughout.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 05:39.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. No subject Oct 14, 2008, 05:07 Zzet

Supporting the official anti knob-slobber movement since October 2008!

24. Re: 5 sec. PR Damage Control Q&A Oct 14, 2008, 01:28 Wowbagger_TIP

20 bucks each? Dream on. I bet the first is full price and the next two are at least 40 each.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2008, 01:09 Cyanotetyphas

right on, Ludomancer

What all the apologists in this thread are missing is that Blizzard will be taking a single property ($50) and making it into three SKUs in a short period ($150) that you WILL be compelled to buy to completion due to the pedigree. This is a smart move that is working beautifully for Half Life, IMHO, but it is definitely not to our advantage as consumers. Remember that hours to complete doesn't scale to hours of effort put into making it. I'm all for long campaigns but right now it looks like Blizzard gets to ride an established franchise for three games with a third of the work (assets, gameplay design, etc.).

PS NERD RAGE ARGH

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

22. 5 sec. PR Damage Control Q&A Oct 14, 2008, 00:35 Kxmode

Edge Online: So how much will one product cost?
Blizzard: $19.95

Fans: $20 x 3... $60. Cool. Thanks Bliz!

Milking rumor over!

Really. It's that easy. No amount of happy PR talk is going to negate the fact that if they charge more than $19.95 they're milking. Period.

By the way I think it ridiculous to charge $40 for a second WoW expansion.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2008, 00:44.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo