Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's been discussed and announced already, but I was still surprised to see the BlizzCon PPV event on my DirecTV listings yesterday. I am very curious how many people bought that... I wonder if they will release any figures on how many viewers that has attracted.

PPV Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Jackal Hunt. Far Cry 2-based game (with prizes).
Sift Heads 4.
Link: 9 ESRB Ratings That Should Exist. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Is The Big Lebowski a cultural milestone?
Rap fan pays fine rather than listen to classical music.
Making math uncool is hurting America, report says.
Science: Hawking- If we survive the next 200 years, we should be OK. Larry Flint is right!
Pint-Size Eco-Police, Making Parents Proud and Sometimes Crazy.
Media: Michael Bay presents- EXPLOSIONS!
Clutzy Reporter + Sandcastle Sculpture = Angry Artist.
Wedding Ring Exchange FAIL. Thanks burd
The Funnies: The Gelatinous Cube - If Rock Band was realů

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Mad Libs? Oct 12, 2008, 12:58 deadgoon

On the subject of smiley powa, that "Congratulations, you've won!"-ad + windows exclamation sound, is like having Karate Kid in your living-room, and is definitely worthy of some Pimp -action. Time reinstall an adblocker and Whip that sucker before I become even more of a ticking Mickey and accidentally Thumbsdown or Cowboy someone

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 11:42 peteham

As luck would have it, now that it knows its days are numbered, it seems to have gone into hiding. I'll try to remember grabbing the url next time I see it though, if there is a next time - assuming that's the details you need

24. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 11:09  Blue 

Congratulations, you've won!"-ad + windows exclamation sound

I haven't seen that one -- if you could provide some details I should be able to get it killed -- there aren't supposed to be any ads making noise. Earmuffs

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

23. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 08:48 peteham

On the subject of smiley powa, that "Congratulations, you've won!"-ad + windows exclamation sound, is like having Guitarist Singer Drummer in your living-room, and is definitely worthy of some Stab -action. Time reinstall an adblocker and Flush that sucker before I become even more of a ticking Bomb and accidentally Knife or Rifle someone Bawling

22. Bah Oct 12, 2008, 04:11 Dan =0)

So, after having a few beers with gals next door (and some of their friends, and bfs, while playing beer-based card games), I've got this quick news to report:

1. One of my old roommates got married today. Lots of disco music, and music from the 40s-50s-60s eras. Nothing really modern aside from some "cha cha" rap thing that's relatively popular I guess, and takes somewhat from the electric slide (the "dance" itself), I think...

2. My cousin from CA came over for the week, my mother called me about it only on Friday afternoon, saying that he would be over Sat. afternoon (of course, I'm at a wedding), and she doesn't have any of his contact info, so I could arrange something prior to that event...

3. A friend of a friend of mine passed away after a decision to pull life support was made.

4. I got a phone # (from one of the girls, of course).

So yeah, really weird weekend/day for me so far. I've got Monday off, which is nice.

Hope everyone's staying warm (if it's cold where you are). We've been blessed up here with rainless moderately warm/cool weather (50s-60s).

Probably the most coherent post I'll ever make while buzzed slightly,

Dan =0)

PS What's this about a "bear mount"? Sounds kinky....

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

21. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 02:23 nin

Oh God. No.

Please add an option in 'User Admin - Message Board Settings' to disable the Smileys. Thanks.

I gotta agree. I certainly appreciate Frans' work here, but I can't help but think that that particular feature will be only used by a select few (Enahs excluded) to annoy the hell out of everyone else.

Guess we'll see how long it takes...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 02:12 CreamyBlood

Oh God. No.

Please add an option in 'User Admin - Message Board Settings' to disable the Smileys. Thanks.

19. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 02:03 WarPig

Given me the power to annoy you!

You were born with that power... leave poor Frans out of that one!

GO SEAHAWKS!

18. Re: Research results Oct 12, 2008, 01:50 banddirector

Thanks, guys, appreciate the comments ....

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

17. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 12, 2008, 00:01 Kxmode

Speechless

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

16. Re: Research results Oct 11, 2008, 22:59 Enahs

Exactly. This has been shown over and over. First AGP, the we had AGP 8X....~1-2% difference. Then we had PCIe and then 16X PCIe, again ~1-2% performance difference.

That BUS is not where the latency comes, unless you are out of video card memory (or maybe for SLI mode).

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Research results Oct 11, 2008, 20:46 Creston

An Nvidia GTX 260 or 280 card, designed to run optimally on a PCIe v.2 slot, will still run well on a "regular" PCIe x16 slot. According to an unnamed source at BFG technologies, the performance hit using the "regular" type slot should only be about 15%, depending on mobo and processor. Your mileage may vary.

That sounds a bit dodgy to me, to be honest. There's really little difference between a PCI-E and a PCI-E 2.0 slot except that PCI-E 2.0 can handle double the memory throughput per second of the PCI-E. The other 2 main "features" is that PCI-E 2.0 can detect if the entire bandwith is being used or not, and if not, it'll automatically scale down to PCI-E specifications to save power.

You really need to be pushing extreme graphics applications to even get to the limit of PCI-E today. There's no game that reaches that limit. Not even Crysis.

So a card might be "optimized" for PCI-E 2.0 but that means absolutely nothing. It's probably just marketoid words to make a card sound more snazzy and hopefully sell a few extra units.

In gaming applications, you'll see no difference in running the card on a PCI-E slot or a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

So you think there's *less* of a hit when using v.2?

I'm convinced there's no hit at all.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2008, 20:47.

14. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 11, 2008, 19:14 Enahs

Oh Frans, what have you done?

Given me the power to annoy you!

Trollbashing Zombie Witch Xmastree Wall2 Thinking2 Smooch Nahnah Headscratch

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2008, 19:15.

- W. C. Fields

13. Re: Smiley Powaah Oct 11, 2008, 19:14 nin

Oh Frans, what have you done?

12. Smiley Powaah Oct 11, 2008, 17:13  Xymph 

Cheers  

-- Frans

11. Re: Research results Oct 11, 2008, 16:59 banddirector

When did you ask that BD?

It was early in the day when there were all the well wishings going on for the 12th birthday of BluesNews, so I kind of expected a limited response.

I call 15% performance hit BS

So you think there's *less* of a hit when using v.2? In other words, using a v.2 slot gives you a negligible performance gain?

The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

10. Re: Research results Oct 11, 2008, 15:05 nin

Yeah, I missed that, too, BD...sorry!

9. Re: Research results Oct 11, 2008, 15:01 Enahs

I call 15% performance hit BS unless you are over using the memory and there is a lot of texture swapping. Or maybe if you are doing 3D editing and have to get everything back out of the video card.

- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Research results Oct 11, 2008, 14:44 Malacai

Yeah, but does it come with a Polar Bear mount?

7. Research results Oct 11, 2008, 14:42 banddirector

Well, since none of you schwags was willing to help me out the other day, I did my own research on video card speed and PCIe (x16) vs. PCIe v.2, and here are the highly unrefined and generic results:

An Nvidia GTX 260 or 280 card, designed to run optimally on a PCIe v.2 slot, will still run well on a "regular" PCIe x16 slot. According to an unnamed source at BFG technologies, the performance hit using the "regular" type slot should only be about 15%, depending on mobo and processor. Your mileage may vary.

So there .....

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo