Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Movies

Some new Diablo III clips were released at BlizzCon 2008, there are a three clips showing off new newly unveiled Wizard class, one is on ActionTrip and AtomicGamer, another is on ActionTrip and AtomicGamer, and there's a Wizard effects trailer on ActionTrip and AtomicGamer. Finally, there's also a Skill Runes trailer on ActionTrip and AtomicGamer.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 12, 2008, 03:09 LittleMe

Wallshadows, no I wasn't a D2 player at all. I didn't like Diablo II. The RPG elements were weak, among other things. Even Diablo I had a short life with me. However D3 looks like it might be a huge improvement and I do like a good dungeon crawler.

Its not a complaint exactly. Its just that modding adds a lot to PC gaming and your reasoning that mods will mostly ruin the gameplay also means that people like me can't have mods to improve the gameplay as we would like.

The ability to mod a game doesn't mean it will be ruined. Stop making straw-man arguments, please. The contrary is true. WoW's UI mods add a lot, for example.

It seems to me that since they are doing in-game transactions to generate income means that they want to control the whole game to maximize income from it. It's like DRM, i guess. Too much control of a game is a bad thing because no game or developer is perfect. Community inspiration goes a long way to move the industry forward.

In any case, no D3 modding means our hands are tied and we must kneel to the Blizzard bureaucracy. Is that a complaint or an observation?

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 11, 2008, 12:05 beigemore

I don't think modding specifically means maphack. There are a lot of single player mods for Diablo II that add tons of different skill sets and character types. People were hoping they'd be able to have mods of this type for Diablo 3 so they could play them on a secure battle.net server, kind of like how you play mods for Quake 3 or Half-life 2 where they have a completely different kind of game but still use the anti-cheating features of the base software (ie, punkbuster and vac).

You can have a mod without having maphack.

8. Re: SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 11, 2008, 11:31 AcidDrone

DIABLO GATE LONDON

IT BEGINS 2010

7. Re: SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 11, 2008, 11:17 Wallshadows

Well that's ass backwards because one of the great strengths in PC gaming is modding. This is a negative to buying the game and I don't believe them when they say they frown upon modding because other games do allow modding and still have cheat protection.

Its simple, we can have the game start using a dedicated mod folder, like BF2 does with Project Reality or FH2, etc... Looking at mod support as a luxury or an non-essential feature is a big mistake!

Stop complaining. You were never allowed to use Map Hacks in previous Diablo titles, so why were you expecting it to change in the third one? You're comparing this game with other titles that are no where near each other in genre. Would you want a game where you could download a mod pack which had godly items? Would you want a game where you could download a mod pack to make you invincible with unlimited money? If they gave up to modders than Diablo would cease to be Diablo.

Also, who says that third parties won't make some anyway?

You're the type who spent all their time in Diablo 2 Open B.Net or you were farming Meph, Countess, and Andy on closed?

6. Re: SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 11, 2008, 08:41 osage no onna

"We kind of have to"

Oh, I know, poor Blizzard, might have to file for chapter 7 any day now.

It's sort of standard procedure to fund one project with the proceeds from another, so that's a pretty sorry excuse.

5. Re: SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 11, 2008, 01:42 LittleMe

Well that's ass backwards because one of the great strengths in PC gaming is modding. This is a negative to buying the game and I don't believe them when they say they frown upon modding because other games do allow modding and still have cheat protection.

Its simple, we can have the game start using a dedicated mod folder, like BF2 does with Project Reality or FH2, etc... Looking at mod support as a luxury or an non-essential feature is a big mistake!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

4. No subject Oct 11, 2008, 00:34 beigemore

Oh, and they're going to split it into 5 different games, with one game per character class.

edit: wow, didn't read the first comment.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2008, 00:54.

3. SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 10, 2008, 23:16 Paranoid Jack

"Blizzard on Battle.net Subscription, Diablo 3 Modding
by Nick Breckon Oct 10, 2008 7:58pm CST tags: Diablo 3

Diablo III director Jay Wilson said today that the company does not have a great desire to charge a subscription fee for the upcoming revision of its multiplayer client Battle.net. However, the developer did note that Blizzard will likely monetize unknown features of the game.

"We are going to monetize features so that we get to make them," said Wilson. "We kind of have to."

Wilson noted that whatever the content would be, it would have an appropriate value to users.

Fans of map hacking and other Diablo II modifications have little to look forward to with the sequel, as Wilson shot down any talk of mod support.

"We don't have a lot of plans to do that. It would make our lives so much harder" he said, adding that despite the fact that he and many other designers got their start in modding, the team takes a strong stance on what they call the "hacking" of their games.

Wilson also used the panel to reemphasize the trading aspect of Diablo III, saying that no items outside of specific quest rewards will be bound to players."

Saw that on ShackNews

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2008, 23:16.

2. No subject Oct 10, 2008, 22:21 Xero

LoLz.

Currently playing: Skyrim

1. No subject Oct 10, 2008, 22:13 NKD

Wonder if Blizzard will make you buy a different copy of the game for each class.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo