Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox 360 Blu-Ray Rumors Resurface

The rumor of the day is on X-bit labs where they have revived speculation that a Blu-Ray add-on is in the works for the Xbox 360, which has been denied several times in the past by Microsoft. They say "market sources" tell them a joint venture between Samsung and Toshiba called Storage Technology Corp has been contracted to create an external Blu-Ray drive, saying the price point for such a product is rumored to be in the range of $100.00-$150.00. They also have an informative recap of the background of the MS/HD-DVD versus Sony/Blu-Ray divide and speculation about when such a product might be unveiled.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Blu-Ray Oct 9, 2008, 00:53 Smoove

I was going to get a drive for the PC but found out I'd need a new video card for the HDCP, which would mean upgrading my aged PSU.

Or you could get AnyDVD HD and just skip the HDCP crap altogether.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Frankly I think it's overpriced, but it does work as promised for me.

On a side note, I imagine we'll see at least one standalone Blu-Ray player at or under $200 on Black Friday. You can already find them around $230 (specifically the Samsung BD-1500, although the Sony BDP-S350 is around $260).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Blu-Ray Oct 8, 2008, 19:48 mag

The rule of rumors is: If they ignore it, it's false. If they say "no comment," it's pretty likely. If they deny it, it is absolutely true.

5. Re: Blu-Ray Oct 8, 2008, 15:51 nin

Still, I don't have much faith in the rumour.

Na, it's come up time and time again, and each time it's shot down...

If it happens, that's cool, but I'm sure as hell not waiting for it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Blu-Ray Oct 8, 2008, 15:41 DG

I'd jump on this, but for the noise the 360 makes. I'd find that too off-putting.

I was going to get a drive for the PC but found out I'd need a new video card for the HDCP, which would mean upgrading my aged PSU.

Still, I don't have much faith in the rumour.

3. Re: Blu-Ray Oct 8, 2008, 15:25 kimbambaman

I too would be VERY happy to see a BD drive for my 360, and at that price point would be an instant buy for me. Unfortunately, I really dont see this happening. IMO, its far more likely MS would integrate BD into its next console.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

2. Re: Blu-Ray Oct 8, 2008, 15:17 Quboid

It would be great to see and a heck of a lot cheaper than a blu-ray player separately. DVDs aren't really large enough for games now anyway. Hopefully it would be quieter.

A major plus for the PS3 is the blu-ray drive and MS would be foolish to ignore this.

- Quboid

- Quboid

1. Blu-Ray Oct 8, 2008, 15:08 Tumbler

I'd love to see a BD drive for $150 or less on the 360. That is a price point i can live with. It'd be awesome if they allowed the drive to read HD-DVD discs as well.

I want a drive that plays both for $150 on my 360.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo