Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mosby's Confederacy Announced

Tilted Mill Entertainment announces Mosby's Confederacy, a game mixing turn-based strategy and real-time tactical combat to recreate the exploits of Confederate general John Singleton Mosby, "one of the Civil War's most interesting and dynamic leaders." Here's word on the game, which is due later this fall: "Missions and their objectives are randomized, so you'll need to approach each game differently, carefully planning your strategy for success. You draw your soldiers from local towns, then through hard won battlefield experience transform them into fighting men – scouts, cavalry, rangers and riflemen. Between battles you'll invest in local towns, so they can serve as field hospitals, stables and munitions caches, helping to keep your forces fit and able to fight, and remain confident and supportive of your ongoing efforts, by willingly supplying men to fight for your cause - and as the war rages on this becomes increasingly challenging."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2008, 18:58 Kxmode

As far as that being in the game, just because a certain topic is unsavory does not mean it should be excluded from the game; to the contrary, a mature and objective representation of such things can add much educational value to the game and give cause for inflection. These are things that games can aspire to do but so often don't.

Like making a FPS from the German perspective during WWII?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2008, 23:44 Prez

The Conferderate went to war with the north because they wanted slavery. I'm sure that part won't be in this game.

Well, there was more to it than that. While slavery was indeed the main focal point, the true motivator the South's secession was for state's rights. Southern states believed that the Federal government was over-stepping it's bounds and interfering in what they believed should be decided in the State government - Slavery being the biggest single issue.

As far as that being in the game, just because a certain topic is unsavory does not mean it should be excluded from the game; to the contrary, a mature and objective representation of such things can add much educational value to the game and give cause for inflection. These are things that games can aspire to do but so often don't.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. No subject Oct 7, 2008, 17:20 Kxmode

The Conferderate went to war with the north because they wanted slavery. I'm sure that part won't be in this game.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

6. Re: This year? Oct 7, 2008, 16:51 Prez

I know this sounds shallow, but I'm waiting for screenshots. I didn't see any on Blue's link.

When considering wargames, screenshots give a good impression of just how visceral or abstract the game will end up being. I have played enough wargames involving huge swathes of land represented by tiny tan or green hexes occupied by small nondescript squares representing hundreds or thousands of soldiers to last several lifetimes.

Combat Mission has ruined me for abstract wargames.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2008, 16:52.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. This year? Oct 7, 2008, 09:41 Bet

Hoping they meet that release date, will look forward to playing it. Should be interesting, 90% chance of me picking it up on premise alone.

Dying for a WW1 strategy game lately, especially after Blue posted a link to that really annoying (but still took 2 hours of my time) Warfare 1917 flash game yesterday. This should fill part of the void that Company of Heroes and Combat Mission can't, though.

Hm...time to break out WW1 medic. I think I have an addiction to annoyingly controlled WW1 games

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2008, 09:42.

4. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2008, 08:44 CJ_Parker

I rather play risk?

I rather you shut the fuck up?

3. No subject Oct 7, 2008, 08:14 uhohzombies

Yee-haw! The South will rise again?

2. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2008, 03:52 Jackplug

I rather play risk?

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2008, 03:55.

1. No subject Oct 7, 2008, 00:40 NKD

Cosby's Monfederacy?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo