Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Silent Hill: Homecoming PC Delay & Controls Issue

There's a thread on the Silent Hill: Homecoming Forums as well as GameSpot Forums and GameFAQs (and presumably elsewhere) about the lack of a inverted control option for your camera view (there is apparently an option to invert your aim, but not the general camera view). The 360 is mentioned in those threads, and a post on IGN indicates this is a problem for the PS3 as well (thanks Bob). Also, in spite of the fact that Konami announced the survival/horror sequel was available on Steam on Tuesday when the console editions shipped (story), the game has not yet appeared there, and now a post on the Steam Users' Forums from Valve's Mike Dunkle saying: "Silent Hill Homecoming for PC will not become available until later this month. Please stay tuned for more information."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2008, 01:42 Jerykk

I think the trend for all horror games will inevitably skew towards action, since that's the genre with most mainstream appeal. It's happening with RPGs, strategy, platformers and pretty much every other genre so I doubt horror will be any different. RE aside, it seems like the only high-end horror games that are non-action oriented are coming from Japan.

I really wish somebody would give Frictional games a big budget so they could make a truly great horror game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2008, 23:12 Entr0py24

Overon, I mostly agree with you, Japanese horror games are at their best when they're tense, creepy, and you're made to feel your character is doomed. However they're certainly not all like that, look at the Resident Evil games (with the exception of the first one). They're just gory action games with shambling monsters, there is no real sense of menace or anxiety.

It really is a shame that Konami seems to have grown tired of their success, and disbanded the Silent Hill team.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 23:13.

10. Re: No subject Oct 2, 2008, 17:22 Overon

Looks like another crappy console port. I'm sooo tired of them.
Not just a crappy console port. A crappy console game. Silent Hill is from the Japanese school of survival horror. high tension, high scare and creap factor, low combat. Yet this sequel is developed by a USA developer with the USA school of survival horror: lots of action combat and little of the aspects of the Japanese school. I think the Japanese school is superior for survival horror. But this game fails in its design philosophy.

9. No subject Oct 2, 2008, 15:33 DI-MeisterM

Looks like another crappy console port. I'm sooo tired of them.

8. Re: Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 14:38 Ping

> Pull back go up, push forward go down.

What about your windows desktop? Does the cursor go up if you pull the mouse back?
Maybe it's just your brain tumor

7. Odds Oct 2, 2008, 13:05 Cyanotetyphas

So whats the over-under on whether they support their product, or cut and run?

Oh Silent Hill, my poor red headed step child.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

6. Re: Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 11:34 Overon

Is this the delay that will make the game have higher reviews on gamerankings/metacritic?

5. Re: Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 11:12 Quboid

It seems to be like left-handed people, some just need it that way and others can't stand it.

I think it depends on how you visualise it. I see it as controlling the front of my character, so mouse down = look down (taking mouse back as mouse down). Perhaps "inverties" (you know, like lefties) see it more as controlling from behind, where mouse down = camera down = camera angle up = look up. There's no correct or incorrect, either for FPS or 3rd person or any other type for that matter. Pretty dumb not to feature it as AAG it makes it quite unplayable for a fairly large number of players.

if (preferences.mouse.inverty) {
mouse.y.value = 0 - mouse.y.value;
}

Is that so hard?

Quboid

- Quboid

4. Re: Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 11:07 Cutter

I do as well. Hell, tons of people do which is why it's an option in most games.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 10:56 nin

Who the hell inverts the mouse

The Y axis? Me, on just about any FPS...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
Piracy: When it's easier for a publisher to blame it's losses on theft than to make a quality product.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 10:49 InBlack

I do, I always have. Since I started using it back with Duke3d....Yeah and flight-sims were the reason I started doing it in the first place, it seemed natural for me. Pull back go up, push forward go down.

On a side note, I think Silent Hill is a total piece of shit and have no intention of playing it.

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Wut? Oct 2, 2008, 10:37 necrosis

Who the hell inverts the mouse? I did not know Silent Hill was a flight sim.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo