Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers

New WHQL-certified version 178.13 ForceWare reference drivers are now available for NVIDIA GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, and GTX 200 graphics accelerators, offering performance and compatibility improvements. There are new drivers for Windows XP 32-Bit, Windows XP 64-Bit, Windows Vista 32-Bit, and Windows Vista 64-Bit. Thanks Ant and FiringSquad.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2008, 16:01 Snapdad

LOL!

I don't care about them, really. Just that my own experience is satisfying. And it is.

However, I just had my machine lock up for the first time ever and i'm thinking that this driver has something to do with it. Further experimentation will take place and I may just have to roll back a rev or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2008, 23:06 Creston

Well, that settles it. NKD and I are now the Horde™

Make sure that you come when summoned this time, dammit! Do you think it's fun to stand out here in the fucking rain, chanting and carrying on?!

The rest of the horde seems to have abandoned you.

Creston

29. Wow. Sep 26, 2008, 10:22 Ant

"Removed Full-screen video mirror controls from NVIDIA Control Panel" in release 178 on page 8 in http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/178.13/178.13_WinXP_GeForce_Release_Notes.pdf ...  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2008, 02:29 Snapdad

Well, that settles it. NKD and I are now the Horde™.

Awesome.

27. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2008, 02:01 NKD

*sees nobody*

Given that the WinXP compatibility mode should, theoretically, have no effect on graphical performance, any problems relating to Vista are having to do with how shitty the game runs in DX10 mode.

WinXP compatibility mode isn't needed for anything but very old games, and anyone who claims it has given them a performance boost in Vista is just worshipping at the altar of Placebo.

Playing in DX9 fixed the performance issues for me, well, to the extent that the shitty engine allows.

But, for me personally, I've been using Vista 64 for over a year now and nothing made in the last 10 years has given me any significant trouble. In fact, I run into more problems with having a quad core processor or a modern video card than I do with Vista. Beyond that, I find things like DOSBOX work quite well.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 02:02.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

26. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2008, 02:00 Snapdad

No, i'm not in a horde, but more of an army of one.

I can't really say i've had problems gaming with Vista 64.
Game problems... whatever that means, happens in all kinds of configurations and OS's.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 02:01.

25. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 23:20 Creston

"all you have to do is goto the icon for warhead and change it to WinXP SP2 compatability setting. "

*looks around for the "There are no game problems in Windows Vista!!!11!!!!" horde.*

*sees nobody*

Creston

24. Re: ... Sep 25, 2008, 23:17 Creston

I update to every new release the same day and haven't had any problems.

Do you replay a lot of your old games? I do, and most new drivers will fuck up one or more of my older games in some way. Not all of them, but quite a few of the drivers do.

Their "optimizations" are usually just shortcuts which fuck something up for older games.

Creston

23. ... Sep 25, 2008, 23:09 theyarecomingforyou

Constantly upgrading your video drivers is asking for shit to stop working, imo.
I update to every new release the same day and haven't had any problems. I figure I might as well benefit from all the performance improvements / fixes immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: warhead/wars update... Sep 25, 2008, 22:55 Creston

Looks like my old ones were 16x.x.x series. Quite a bit outdated. I don't often enough update my vid drivers

There's really no point to updating your video drivers all that often anyways. I recently installed the 175.19 drivers, but up until that point I had been running the 163.xx for over a year without any problems.

I tend to stick with a driver until a new game just refuses to work with it. In the last case, Mass Effect had some issues with the 163, so I went to the 175 which were the newest ones at the time.

Constantly upgrading your video drivers is asking for shit to stop working, imo.

Crysis Warhead runs fine at Enthusiast level for me with the 175.19, though strangely I have some sort of skytexture issue when I switch it to Gamer mode. (parts of the sky just turn into a hollywood "blue screen" for lack of a better word.)

Creston

21. Digital Vibrance, Gamma, fubar Sep 25, 2008, 22:54 Bluesfanboi

Windows XP Pro SP3, 8800GTS, CRT.

Digital Vibrance is much less effective, and only has three settings now. Also the gamma and brightness are too high, it is difficult to get the color ramps where I want them and where I had them.

As it stands now due to the muted colors it looks like I am using an LCD screen instead of a CRT. Gross, Fix.

Update: Fixed- uninstalled then ran Driver Cleaner Pro, Re-installed, Digital Vibrance fixed. I think either the anti-malware/virus settings on Comodo prevented a file deletion/update (has not before but who knows) or there was a bug uninstalling the 177.83 betas.
This comment was edited on Sep 25, 23:26.

20. warhead/wars update... Sep 25, 2008, 22:27 Snapdad

I knew that when I got home from werk that i'd be updating my drivers... Looks like my old ones were 16x.x.x series. Quite a bit outdated. I don't often enough update my vid drivers... lol!

Slapped these new ones on there launched steam. Steam showed that both warhead and wars were not currently installed. Weird, I thought... so I installed them again, and it said they updated... whatever that means.

At any rated, I decided i'd try out a couple things. Started a new game and bumped res up to 1600x1280 (native for me) and also flicked off AA. Had AS set to 4x forced via the nvid ctrl panel. Set the advanced startup settings via steam to include -dx9 flag. So far, so very, very smooth with all settings set to gamer except shadows... those are a notch down, whatever that call that... slips my mind atm. We'll see how she does once I get to frosty polar-land. As an aside... took off the -dx9 flag and resumed gameplay, and noticed a bit of choppiness... me thinks i'll be playing in dx9 mode, since visually I didn't notice a heckuva change, other than the slowdown.

19. Re: Sep 25, 2008, 21:02 Rseman

I got the same problem at one point Quboid, with regards to the system has not been modified, running Vista Ultimate 64. After a couple of tries and no success, I went to Device Manager and manually updated the drivers from the NVidia folder it creates on C. Everything worked okay doing it that way, even the PhysX.

18. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 20:35 MuzixMon

Snapdad;
This is what worked for me:
I didn't have to lower any of my settings at all, all you have to do is goto the icon for warhead and change it to WinXP SP2 compatability setting. After doing that the game ran in DX9 instead of DX10 and worked 100x's better.
Hope it works for you.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

17. Re: Problem Sep 25, 2008, 20:19 Lit_Reflex001

"Warhead ran terribly on my system, it looked much worse than other games. It doesn't matter how great your game looks with everything turned up, it's how good it looks on current hardware that really matters and Crysis Warhead looked poor. If these installed, maybe it would be better but on a 2x3.2Ghz Core 2 Duo system with a Geforce 260, I expected so much more."

In case your wondering if your processor is having a problem, don't worry: the only reason your getting such poor performance is because your running off a generic software video driver.

I upgraded from an Athlon64 3500+ to a Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz 1333 FSB, still using my Radeon X1600 Pro. I ended up still not being able to use anti aliasing and was still stuck in 1024x768, though I was able to raise the detail level.

CPUs are incredibly secondary to gaming performance; more so than people realize.

Once you get a driver working, I expect you will find yourself running Warhead in Very High detail with smooth frame-rates. With my current Geforce 9800 GT/Core 2 Duo 2.66, 2 GB DDR2, I can run Crysis in a hybrid Very High/High detail (textures, shaders, water at max) with decent performance until the last 2 or 3 levels.

My PC basically is exactly what Crytek had in mind for lower budget High Detail performance (the CPU/Mobo are EXACTLY what they recommended for the initial Crysis PC) in Crysis... so you should be able to run Warhead pretty nicely in Very High.
This comment was edited on Sep 25, 20:21.

16. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 20:19 Bludd

Digital vibrance doesn't work for me with these drivers

8800 GTX, XP32SP3

15. No subject Sep 25, 2008, 20:10 Lit_Reflex001

I haven't tried any games yet, but the colors seem washed at higher brightness levels (due to nvidia's gamma wizard fucking up my gamma), and digital vibrance is completely non-functional.

I'm running XP Pro X64 with a 9800 GT.

14. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 19:23 Kedyn

Warhead seems to be running a little better for me on my 8800GT with the new drivers. Then again, I do use Windows XP 32 bit.

13. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 17:21 Unknown Soldier

The TS client used was irrelevant (I tried a couple including the old MSTSC), it was the RDP service on the machine that wasn't working. It was still listening on 3389 but one of the DLLs wouldn't load with the nvidia driver present. There's a big thread about it on the nvidia forum if you're interested.

But like I said, it's fixed in the new driver.

12. ... Sep 25, 2008, 17:17 theyarecomingforyou

Ah, so I'm not alone. I got to the frosty polar part and the game crawled to a slideshow. I had to turn settings down severely to get it to run acceptably.
I didn't have any problem myself, though I'm running an HD4870 - it ran just as well as the rest of the game. I got some slowdown on the train but other than that it was fine. I've said it before but I didn't find the graphics that impressive for the most part, not in comparison to Clear Sky - performance wasn't as good either. However, the snow levels were decent and the tunnels were very nice... the lighting really being shown off there.

I'm trying to install for a Geforce 260 on a Vista UK 64-bit system and I have the appropriate driver downloaded. However, when I install it says the system was not modified.
Are you definitely running SP1 and the latest updates? That's about the only thing I can think of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo