Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, so as I mentioned last night, we have the return of a fun feature from the past today, it will probably go live later this morning. Speaking of fun, I have that root canal today on this tooth that's bothering me. It's just a one-root dealie, so it should be a cakewalk for someone who has had as much dentistry as I have. I sound like I believe it right?

One-Root Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Waveland Catch.
Stories: Cops arrest armed scooter driver. Thanks Devicer. Preventing a scoot-by.
Large pushy pig traps Australian.
Science: Antidepressants may harm male fertility.
Solar wind is at a 50-year low.
Image: World's largest wargaming table art installation.
Media: Max Payne Featurette - The Beginning. Thanks Digg.
The Internets Are Down.
Formula 1 car vs. Normal cars.
Follow-ups: Japan hopes to turn sci-fi into reality with elevator to the stars.
Wolves make dog's dinner out of domestication theory.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2008, 02:03 CreamyBlood

I'd really like to 'buy' a T-shirt.

Of course I'd like a demo first to make sure it fits properly, is in a colour that agrees with my personal style and accentuates my features.

If I can't try it out first I might have to torrent it, just to be sure

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 26, 2008, 01:44 Creston

Where do you think guys like Shaun White and Dave Mirra get their money from? I guess they are sellouts too.

My favorite quote regarding "sellouts" has always been from Snoop. "Nigga, they could put a Bud Light ad on my ASS if they paid me!"

I'd happily walk around looking like a blowup NASCAR doll if it meant I never had to work again.

Creston

35. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 26, 2008, 00:54 PHJF

They aren't sellouts, they're entitled to do whatever they want with their abilities. But I don't care to watch Red Bull Dave Mirra at the Mountain Dew Summer X-Games at Slim Jim Park presented by Scion.

Extreme sports grew as a form of rebellion, and some still are to an extent (university police yell at skateboarders all the time). Ten years ago, when I got what I did, that rebellious construct was just starting to really come down. The first X-Games were in 1997, and the first Tony Hawk was released in 1999.

It's the simple nature of anything in America, upon going mainstream, to be raped by capitalism. It's nobody's fault, but that doesn't make me any less jaded.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 22:41 Krovven

BMX, snowboarding, and paintball

Skateboarding took off more than the others for one simple reason...anyone can jump on a skateboard and do it pretty much anywhere. It's also the cheapest of the sports you mentioned. $20 can get a kid a craptastic skateboard at the mall. A decent one $100 and up.

BMX is much more limited in suitable locations, but rise in popularity in the 80's, but was overshadowed by Skateboarding.

Snowboarding...seasonal sport.

Paintball...uhhm, have you seen what paintballing as become? indoor/outdoor arenas made up of blow up air bags as cover. People sit behind cover and just keep shooting until they hit an opponent.

All 3 of these have corporate sponsors just like skateboarding. The only reason skateboarding has gone to much higher public and corporate success is due to the ease of accessibility, not because it was obscure. Not to mention it's far more entertaining to watch than either of the other three sports.

Sponsors go where the spectators are and that's skateboarding. But don't kid yourself if you don't think those same sponsors are all over the other sports too. Where do you think guys like Shaun White and Dave Mirra get their money from? I guess they are sellouts too.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Sep 25, 22:51.

33. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 22:21 Kxmode

Amen Brother PHJF

Edit: acronym confusion, sorry

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Sep 25, 22:23.

32. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 21:51 Warhawk

You aren't alone - I have one of those as well - never bothers me much so I just leave it alone.
Is yours infected though? I went for ~4 years ignoring it, infected, but it wasn't that bad. I'd just have a little bloody discharge on my boxers.

Since surgery, however, it's been a lot worse. Shoulda just left it alone, I guess.

It was once or twice in high school, but the clueless idiots I saw in the hospital for it back then apparently didn't realize what it was.....

Other than a little irritation/itchiness on occasion (pretty rare), hasn't really bugged me for years, I guess.....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

31. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 21:47 PHJF

he is the greatest skater of all time and has made the sport what it is today.

Which is what? The benefit shared by x-sports is in not being (as) commercialized. I got into BMX, snowboarding, and paintball when I was young because I didn't want to waste my life in the supersaturated sports provided by the school and community. Sports like skateboarding became popular *because* they were obscure. Now it's becoming just another commercial haven, plastered with superstars and advertisers.

30. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 21:21 xXBatmanXx

There was a time when this guy was my hero! Now he's the epitome of corporate sellout.

The guy is like 40. You expect him to make money from Skating appearances for the rest of his life?

Plus, his name as been on skate gear, clothing, shoes, games etc since the 80's. If you are only just coming to the conclusion that he has sold his name all over the place, where have you been the last 20 years?

I have nuttin' but respect for THawk - regardless of your feelings of "sellout". He put in his time, traveling the globe skateboarding didn't pay shit for many many years. The idea behind skateboarding was always sponsers - he is the greatest skater of all time and has made the sport what it is today.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. No subject Sep 25, 2008, 21:04 strich

woo! headers are back!!!!

who's making them for you blue? is walter back on the payroll?

man almighty, at this rate, we might even get some t-shirts in the next century!

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

28. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 20:41 Krovven

There was a time when this guy was my hero! Now he's the epitome of corporate sellout.

The guy is like 40. You expect him to make money from Skating appearances for the rest of his life?

Plus, his name as been on skate gear, clothing, shoes, games etc since the 80's. If you are only just coming to the conclusion that he has sold his name all over the place, where have you been the last 20 years?

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

27. Re: Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 20:31 PHJF

You aren't alone - I have one of those as well - never bothers me much so I just leave it alone.

Is yours infected though? I went for ~4 years ignoring it, infected, but it wasn't that bad. I'd just have a little bloody discharge on my boxers.

Since surgery, however, it's been a lot worse. Shoulda just left it alone, I guess.

26. Tony Hawk Sep 25, 2008, 19:50 Kxmode

http://www.tonyhawk.com/where_images/BBHJ08.jpg

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

25. Re: Cops arrest armed scooter driver Sep 25, 2008, 18:47 xXBatmanXx

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a .38 Taurus have 6 rounds and not 4? I was watching cops and I think they had a similar situation and the perp had only 3 bullets in a revolver.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/products-revolvers.cfm
5, 6, 7, or 8.

Maybe he only had 4 rounds in it? Who knows - but then again, even our local rag doesn't know shit from shineola - you know that.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.
This comment was edited on Sep 25, 18:52.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 17:52 Mr. Tact

my pilonidal cyst is back

Oh, gah!

Warning to others, do NOT Google that.
Wiki it instead, very antiseptic.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 17:11 Warhawk

You aren't alone - I have one of those as well - never bothers me much so I just leave it alone. Every once in a while I think of having it removed, but never get around to it....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

22. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2008, 16:15 complicity

Oh, gah!

Warning to others, do NOT Google that.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 16:16.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

21. No subject Sep 25, 2008, 15:30 Tanto Edge

Elevator to the Stars...
Tom Hanks Washroom : Penthouse
Bruce Willis Balconey : 37th floor....etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

20. Off the Pigs! Sep 25, 2008, 15:08 Cutter

"He is a bald pig [weighing] about 80 kilos [176lb]," he said.

"I wouldn't like to see the pig go as a pet anywhere because he could become a potentially dangerous animal."

Rangers say the pig will be captured and taken to a piggery.

A piggery? Hahaha! I don't think Jules Winifield would have thought this was "one charmin' motherfuckin' pig".

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19. Re: ... Sep 25, 2008, 14:39 shul

ehans, actually I tried using it, didn't get the hang of it and dropped the whole thing... how was I supposed to use it?

18. Re: wooo Sep 25, 2008, 12:04 shul

same EXACT email as I wanted to write

Yay!!! Logos are back.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo