Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Open Red Alert

Open Red Alert is a remake of the original Red Alert using the public source from the RTS. Files from the original game or the demo are required to make this work. Thanks Ant.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Art assets etc. Sep 22, 2008, 07:01 InBlack

Kind of off topic, someone already recommended this in another thread.

Freespace 2 Open Source Poject.

I just finished it a couple of days ago and all I have to say is WOW! Its a big download but its worth it if you are a space sim fan.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Art assets etc. Sep 21, 2008, 20:27 Prez

What are the improvements of this project over the original RA? I can't find anything about that on their page, which sucks.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Art assets etc. Sep 21, 2008, 18:38 Shadowcat

No, you're still wrong

Red Alert (the first one) was released for free. Which is to say, the art and other assets were released for free, along with the original executable.

With the source code being available, people can / have made an "Open Red Alert" which creates a NEW executable with which to play the game (which as mentioned is conveniently also freely available).

(EDIT: Actually, it sounds rather like the source code in question is a brand new reimplementation of the game from scratch, rather than a port of the original source code.)

Why do this? For the same reason that playing Doom using one of the modern source ports is more enjoyable for most of us than playing Doom in its original 320x200 pixelated un-glory.

People can potentially now make cross-platform versions of the game (Mac, Linux, PalmOS even), they can make sure the game is stable on newer hardware and operating systems, they could provide for high res graphics. There are all manner of things that can be done with the source code.

If you're happy playing the game with its original executable (as most people probably will be), then don't bother with Open Red Alert, but that doesn't mean the project is pointless

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 18:45.

3. Re: Art assets etc. Sep 21, 2008, 16:29 Fuzzmatang

My bad. I wasn't seeing the point of this project earlier because I forgot Red Alert 2 was the one that was released for free recently instead of the first one.

I was thinking that since you can get the actual game for free anyways, why bother with an open source version. Anyways.

2. Art assets etc. Sep 21, 2008, 16:20 Bludd

It's the same if you want to play Doom using an engine written based on the source code that was released: you need the assets and maps and etc.

1. No subject Sep 21, 2008, 13:59 Fuzzmatang

So it's like...I need Red Alert to play this open source Red Alert? Huh?

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo