Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OpenGL Freed

Linux.com reports that SGI has relicensed OpenGL, saying that up until now the software licenses for the graphics library first released in 1999 were never accepted by the Free Software Foundation or the Open Source Initiative. Now after rewrites of both the SGI Free License B and the GLX Public License, OpenGL is truly open, a development the FSF calls "one of the greatest given to the community by a proprietary company." The background on this is pretty interesting, as the problem with the licenses has apparently been an "open secret" for some time now. Thanks Ant and Slashdot.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. No subject Sep 20, 2008, 21:46 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 21, 11:26.

================================================
"Whattadya wanna hear, that I'm your bitch? Fine. You came in
here, took it to me, and now I'm your bitch. Happy now?" - Creston
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: ... Sep 20, 2008, 15:39 Enahs

Are you kidding? A normal CPU has nowhere near the parallel processing power of a modern GPU. There is no way that they could provide competitive graphics with a software based approach.

If you are serious, please provide some proof...

Even though I did not say it, it is true...sorta.

The hardware is evolving to completley programmable. I.E. the graphics card hardware while designed for gaming but the developer is not constrained into a single API.

See:
CUDA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA)
Already available. Not totally there yet, but heading in the direction.

There was a recent post by Tim Sweeny (lead engineer of the Unreal series of engines) that stated generally the same thing:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=91396
Maybe it will happen, probably. Carmack has been saying similar things recently as well.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 15:43.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. Re: ... Sep 20, 2008, 15:30 Hazard

Developers are fast heading over to software based rendering, with Crytek and Epic both indicating they are pursuing that direction for the next generation engines. My understanding is that that means APIs like DirectX and OpenGL will become less relevant.

Are you kidding? A normal CPU has nowhere near the parallel processing power of a modern GPU. There is no way that they could provide competitive graphics with a software based approach.

If you are serious, please provide some proof...

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

4. Re: ... Sep 20, 2008, 03:30 monkay

Unless the hardware vendors catch up to that(providing their own APIs and etc), there's no way any sane developers would write their rendering engine from scratch without using any existing APIs.

3. ... Sep 20, 2008, 00:06 theyarecomingforyou

Developers are fast heading over to software based rendering, with Crytek and Epic both indicating they are pursuing that direction for the next generation engines. My understanding is that that means APIs like DirectX and OpenGL will become less relevant.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

2. Re: Wishes Sep 19, 2008, 21:09 Propagandhi

Can't use DirectX on the Wii, PS2, PS3, PSP, or OSX. A company which integrates direct x anywhere other than the periphery of its codebase is fuckin itself..  
I eat pasta!

1. Wishes Sep 19, 2008, 20:40 Ludomancer

I wish OpenGL would become a popular API again. The industry really shafted itself with DirectX, letting it become a closed standard and then watching as Microsoft used it to force people where they wanted. (Vista)

I guess the powers that be behind OpenGL are slightly to blame too though...

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo