Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online's Cut Content to Return for Free

1Up reports that the cities and classes cut from Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning during development (story) will be added back to the game as a free update in the future, according to Mythic's Mark Jacobs: "What I've told the users point blank is that we want to give it to you as part of subscription content. We don't have a schedule penciled in for when that will be coming, but we're going to release it without any additional charge to players."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. I wonder why they did it? Sep 19, 2008, 21:11 Paranoid Jack

Most likely the numbers are not matching. I know I get the pre-order cards from GameStop without ordering all the time. I'll later return to pay for the future delivery. But then I'm a preferred customer there. They know I won't take a promotion item on a game I have no intention of buying. The guy who gave me my CE code card months ago wanted to give me a chance to see what the game had to offer after we talked about the negative comments from supposed beta testers on the Net. He basically sold me on the game by giving me those codes.

I got one for the CE and the SE later only putting down money on the SE because the CE orders had already been stopped. I told the managers and half the guys in there to call me if they had any CEs come in that weren't picked up.

And they just got three in this mourning. So I jumped on it. I love the game and won't regret the purchases anymore than I regret the WoW CE purchase four years ago. Or the Diablo II CE years before that. I loved them all for better or worse.

Anyway, seeing how this store got in three more copies of a supposedly sold out CE I'm betting the numbers were off. My guess is that a lot of people got their pre-order cards and were hoping to play the Closed Beta/Open Beta/Early Access and then go pick up the game a week or so after launch... if at all.

Hell, I've done it myself on several games. I pre-order and something last minute changes my mind. Like all the negative PR for Spore just a week or two prior to release. I never picked it up just moved my pre-order money to another title.

So hopefully those of you who haven't yet picked up your copy and want to continue playing will actually find a copy waiting for you at the store. Of course they will have a steady stream of copies trickling into stores for months to come.

This mourning my friend was told if he hadn't called first thing this mourning before driving out to pick-up his copy later today that it may have been sold. The store manager had already told employees to sell the copies not yet paid for or that had not already been arranged for pick-up today.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: additional charge Sep 19, 2008, 17:45 Fion

As in I know full well what EA did to UO and why it pertains to every single MMOG they are involved with.

Next time try figuring out what we are talking to before talking out your arse.

25. additional charge Sep 19, 2008, 17:29 Kxmode

How much is player's time worth?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

24. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 16:54 PropheT

With EA, far more then you realize.

As in, you don't really know but it's EA so it can't be good.

I wouldn't be surprised if the name Mythic is just replaced with EA in about a year. That's what they did with Origin, Bullfrog, Janes and a few other companies they acquired. They kept the name for a couple of years, then dropped it.

That's why EA-Mythic just recently changed its name back to just Mythic, right? That seems to be the opposite of what you're suggesting.

23. Re: More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 16:22 Inexorable

The grace period of playing without a box and accompanying CD-Key was supposed to last until the 22nd, as indicated by the WAR website. However, it was changed to expiring this morning just a few days ago. Of course, the references to the 22nd have since been scrubbed from the website.
This comment was edited on Sep 19, 16:34.

22. Re: More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 15:24 Endo

"I noticed this as well. My account is now inactive until I get the retail box in the mail from my pre-order."

Yeah, that's why I did Game Stop. Picked up my copy yesterday over lunch.

But I agree, it does seem wrong to not extend the head-start period for at least a few days to cover shipping of the retail copy.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 15:24.

21. What does UO have to do with WAR. Sep 19, 2008, 15:14 Hanneth

EA bought out Origin Systems Inc. a long time ago and UO was made after that merger. EA bought out Mythic more recently.
EA merged what was left of Origin with Mythic causing anyone working on UO that wanted to keep their jobs to have to move into the old Mythic studio. This has caused minimal work on UO to be done for 9 month.
The DaoC, WAR and UO teams now work together and give each other ideas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the name Mythic is just replaced with EA in about a year. That's what they did with Origin, Bullfrog, Janes and a few other companies they acquired. They kept the name for a couple of years, then dropped it.

20. Re: More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 15:09 Fion

Cynical? Have you followed UO's history?

What does UO have to do with WAR?

With EA, far more then you realize.

19. Re: More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 14:25 Tumbler

They have locked out all those still playing on the CE/SE pre-order codes. Only those who bought from e-retails will be given access in the next couple hours to continue playing with out the boxed DVD card code(s). Somewhat strange unless they noticed a huge difference between the number of pre-order codes given out and those actually ordered and/or picked up. Most companies give a week or at least five days.

I noticed this as well. My account is now inactive until I get the retail box in the mail from my pre-order. A silly decision in my mind. I would hope they offered a few days overlap, now i have to wait ot play the game...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 14:01 Mikus_Aurelius

Yeah, I was playing on a server that was pleasantly full the last couple days. No queues but med-high population in the afternoon. Knowing whether my server turned into a ghost town would inform my decision of whether to go drop the other $45 to keep playing.

17. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 13:55 PropheT

What does UO have to do with WAR?

16. Re: More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 13:41 AnarKane

Nice... we'll see if this game lasts that long, though.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

15. More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 13:21 Paranoid Jack

Folks,

Good, bad or ugly, Mythic has always had the integrity to stand up for what we think is the right thing to do in any situation. I donít expect everyone to agree but Iíve never intentionally made a decision to hurt the community and/or our players and I donít intend to start now. For the last couple of days weíve been dealing with a very difficult and complicated situation. Sadly, there are lots of moving parts and sometimes it takes both a bit of elbow grease to get things working properly.

Hereís where we stand right now. As of this morning, we deactivated a large number of accounts and ended the Head Start for our game. At the same time, weíve been in touch with the retailers, both online and brick-and-mortar, and while we are getting great data on the number of people who will get their game today; there is still a relatively small number of people who wonít be able to get them due to shipping issues (no matter what the issues are, whose fault, etc.).

So, after a lot of conversations Iím happy to announce that over the next few hours we are going to extend the grace period for all customers of Amazon, GoGamer and the EA Store till the 22nd of September. Based on the data we have gathered, these companies account for just about all the customers that were concerned about their chance to get into the game today. Thus, if you currently have an account with us, youíll be able to get back into the game while you wait for your game to be delivered. Of course, all characters are still intact and no billing of any credit card has taken place (it couldnít, the account still has free time on it) since the accounts were simply deactivated not wiped.

We have been assured by all the brick-and-mortar retailers that they got their shipments in the stores already so if you needed to go to a store to pick up your game, the units are in stock everywhere. We will be monitoring the situation closely over the next twenty-four hours of course.

As Iíve said countless times, we will do the best we can in any situation to make it right and I hope you agree with have done so again. I thank the community for its support, especially for this rather thorny problem.

Mark

They have locked out all those still playing on the CE/SE pre-order codes. Only those who bought from e-retails will be given access in the next couple hours to continue playing with out the boxed DVD card code(s). Somewhat strange unless they noticed a huge difference between the number of pre-order codes given out and those actually ordered and/or picked up. Most companies give a week or at least five days.

14. Learning from the UO team? Sep 19, 2008, 13:01 Hanneth

Oh you'll get your content. The first map should come out in about 2.5 years after 2 really broken expansions have come out and we are on live dev team number 3.

Right after the first expansion comes out they will move offices and not much will be done for 9 months, at which point they'll put together a team that has no idea how the code works to make the second expansion while the live team starts fixing some of the bugs from the first expansion.

13. Re: Grahics are great Sep 19, 2008, 12:28 Theo

Jack (paranoid),

With Regards to AoC, no consiquence (IE ganking lowbies punishment), isnt in yet.

there is just a PvP XP system (with decay at the higher levels) and also rewards. the main things are the fixes to the engine and the general NPC behaviour.

Since i went back it does seem a lot better.

There is a lot of general Fixes and additions content between 45 and 60 is still thin, after that its pretty decent, and the stuff up to 40 is actaully now excellent (the instances have all be redone, making them much better, more fun and such).

AoC is definatly heading in the right direction, such a shame they didnt give it 2 more months dev time, its actaully pretty good now (dont get me wrong i am no fan boy there are still issues).

but yes ,definate improvement from funcom, its just a BIG shame that they screwed the pooch and now there are less players.

as for WoW exiles, well i am one, but i never really was that crazy about wow, i lead my guild thru MC, BWL and such and quit just after hitting 70 soon after BC came out.

to be frank the main reason i left was the "free epics" deal they seemed to have taken up. the PvP epic situation just devalued the EXCELLENT PvE game and thats a shame.

the stupid thing is i love pvp and play mainly pvp games, but for me WoW was always about the PvE because i dont think any game did it as well as WoW did.

the PvP in wow to me always felt like it was bolted on afterwards and ive never really liked it.

If i want PvP ill play EvE, or linage or even AoC.

/Theo.

Edit Fion, yes i thought he was talking crap as well - given that my box runs almost everything i play on max.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 12:33.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

12. Re: Grahics are great Sep 19, 2008, 12:14 Fion

Graphics are great actually, you just need a computer good enough to play them cranked through the roof and you're fine

You really really gotta squint your eyes if you can honestly call these graphics 'great.' They don't even come CLOSE to great.

Some areas are fairly imaginative (if extremely linear,) areas on the Chaos side but even then it's a real stretch.

Don't get me wrong WAR's a very solid game. But it really should have been made years ago because everything about it is 2004.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 12:15.

11. Re: Grahics are great Sep 19, 2008, 12:01 Endo

"I am curious to find out what the WoW burn-outs think. Is the game too much like WoW if you've just recently left it?"

I would be one of those, and no the game is definitely not too much like WoW. For me, this game fits right into that niche where it's just enough like other games (ie. WoW) to be familiar, but different enough to truly be something new.

There's many things I really like about the game compared to other games, one of them being how accessible and integral the PvP (or RvR) is. If you want, you can literally level doing nothing but RvR scenarios from the instant you load into the game for the first time at level 1. But if PvP ain't your cup of tea, no problem! There's plenty of varied interesting quests to keep the quester happy, and public quests from the very start as well for those who are more into large-group raiding types of content. It's all there, right from the get-go.

And then there's the classes, which all have unique twists on the common archetypes to keep you thinking a bit and make you actually use some strategy.

10. Wow Burnout Sep 19, 2008, 11:48 Mikus_Aurelius

Ok. I'm a WOW burnout and I'll bite. Here's what I've found better in each game.

WOW:
The graphics are crisper and more varied.
I get better framerates (duh, it's 4 years old).
Combat is more responsive
The interface is cleaner (Blizzardified).
There's probably more content (duh it's 4 years old).

WAR:
The entire combat system (skills and stats) designed with PvP in mind.
PvP is an integrated part of character advancement.
All the players who left WoW after 6 months (skilled players who got bored) are there.

Edit to answer the question above more directly: It's the same game with much much better integrated PvP. The tacked on BG/Arena grind was part of why I left WoW, so I like WAR.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 11:50.

9. Re: Grahics are great Sep 19, 2008, 11:39 Paranoid Jack

I second that. I'm running at 1900x1200 everything on high or max'd setting. There are rare hickups once the initial loading of the area has finished. I think they are the divides between zones. Nothing that bothers me. The graphics may not be as detailed as some other games but those games are running smaller zones or levels. This is a wide open game where you can see players far into the distance.

Try that in AoC. I had my view distances maxed in AoC and PC/NPC still pop in/out when they reach a certain distance. That was on a GTX 260/Q6600/4GB RAM. Don't get me wrong I love AoC but when your on a PvP server the last thing you want/need is some ganker popping into view limiting your response times.

Also developers know that if you make the graphics widely scalable (hence a wider range of systems can play it) your user base pools from the owners of older systems to the owners of the latest tech. It just makes sense. Making the graphics high end only limits the user base and chances of success.

Not to mention where the game has tons of character which for me helps over-come anything graphics wise. I'll always side with the game-play over graphics.

I am curious to find out what the WoW burn-outs think. Is the game too much like WoW if you've just recently left it?

Edit for AoC recent patch: Have they implemented true PvP conscequneces? Are the NPCs still popping in at thirty feet away? Or worse, are some still popping up from below ground level when you get within twenty feet of them?

Like I told them when I canceled let me know when you fix the PvP and flesh out the content above level 40. Because I would like to try it again... just not right now.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 11:45.

8. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2008, 11:30 Theo

i think thats unfair, cut features is not a beta, its a decision on the health of the game.

beta, is buggs and such. AoC was beta, its now not, its actaully getting fixed as of last patch ive finally started playing again now they have sorted most of the stuff.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 11:31.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo