Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Multiple Spore Screen Names Coming

A post by Maxis to the Spore Forums has word that they are adding the ability to have up to five screen names per Spore account, responding to one of the criticisms of the life simulation (story), though they cannot pin down an ETA for this change. They will only allow one online account per copy of the game, but another post clarifies that this change will allow players using that account to be logged in simultaneously on different computers under separate screen names. The one complication is how achievements will be handled, as they are hoping to allow separate achievements for each screen name, but to begin with, the active screen name will be the one that earns all achievements (the example give is one player logging 99 hours, signing off, then another player on the same account playing one hour and getting the 100 hour achievement). They hope to fix this with a future update. On the other hand, each screen name will have its own My Spore page and each screen name will get separate credit for any creatures created. On forum poster asked why they didn't just allow five accounts per copies of the game, and the response indicated that this would actually be far more difficult for them to implement.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Road Side Signs... Sep 20, 2008, 00:22 Prez

A smart company would have done things like ease the DRM restrictions and allow multiple sign-ins per accounts before getting their asses handed to them by the consumers. (A really smart company would have realized that DRM only serves to piss off paying customers) But hey, at least they are listening...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Road Side Signs... Sep 19, 2008, 16:31 Thermopyle

Has anyone else seen the billboards for this game along highways and stuff?

Or is just a bay area thing?

EA is losing their collective asses on this game so far.

12. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2008, 16:12 Tavillion

I'd be of the opinion that it's overpriced by about 30 bucks or so.

Oh, and that DRM like this in a simulator or proof of concept would be incredibly stupid.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 16:12.

11. Digg Sep 19, 2008, 14:53 Tumbler

Digg is linking a story that says ea has not moved their online activations up to 5 from 3 allowed. Which is still BS, but the interesting part is that htey posted their total activation numbers:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080919-ea-relents-changes-spore-drm-too-little-too-late.html

437k total activations (assuming worldwide) so far.

That is nowhere close to the 2 million they planned. Hopefully their other games will receive this kind of response as well.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2008, 14:23 The Half Elf

Gotta question... if Spore had been called a simulator or proof of concept piece of software, instead of a game, how would that affect your opinion of it?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2008, 12:42 Krovven

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Open-Water-movie-05.jpg

There is EA and Will Wright treading water...just sink already damnit.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 • Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

8. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 11:48 WyldKat

Might be too little, too late...

7. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 10:59 Dev

Yeah but read thier entire posts about this. Sounds like it could be months before this happens, since they say its a lot of work.

6. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2008, 10:34 Wowbagger_TIP

I just wish they had actually made the game interesting outside of the creature creator. All you do is hunt for parts and build your creature. I'm still waiting for the patch that makes it fun. I quit playing already. It's boring.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2008, 09:53 The Half Elf

Still waiting for them to fix the rest of the achievements that don't register, horrible funky level of detail issues and a better way to manage all the crap that's automatically downloading, that I could have sworn I turned off... twice.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 09:50 VogelAP

They're doing the right thing. Glad to see it.  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

3. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 09:36 Tumbler

It'll be nice when all this Spore BS blows over. I'm sick of hearing about it. Move along spore. I want to play games that don't try and rob me in the beginning and then get nice when it doesn't work.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 09:28 KezClone

NOW we're getting somewhere.  

1. Sigh Sep 19, 2008, 09:14 Midnight

They certainly seem to have made a lot of extra work for themselves. I wonder whether they're starting to wish that they'd followed Stardock's example...  
http://www.crimsondark.com

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo