Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 Linux & Mac Ports Live

Ryan Gordon's .plan file seeks to end conspiracy theories about the ports for Unreal Tournament III, as apparently he's been getting mail from folks who think Microsoft is paying to block their releases. As a form of reassurance, he offers a screenshot of UT3 for Linux and another from UT3 for MacOS.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Sep 20, 2008, 02:45 Rseman

I got this when it first came out, as much for the tools to play with as the game itself. However, I still play and enjoy UT2004 and just can't stand UT3, even after you get past the menus and into the game. Never could put my finger on it til now, but I'll have to thank theyrecomingforyou for nailing it; it's a graphically busy mess IMO.

UT was excellent, UT2K3 was a waste of money. UT2K4 was lots and lots of fun and great value for me and UT3 isn't floating my boat. So, I'll hope Epic keeps to form and the next one should be a damn fine game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Be careful what you wish for Sep 20, 2008, 00:26 Prez

Gogamer is selling UT3 for 9.99. At that price, I'm willing to put up with arguably 'consolized' multiplayer I think...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Be careful what you wish for Sep 19, 2008, 20:03 FreonTrip

I really could tear Carver's post to pieces solely by pointing out his grammar and spelling errors, especially in the second half where he gets excited. However, it's obvious that such a practice would be futile. He's clearly made up his mind.

For anyone willing to listen to a different perspective: It's true that Linux is not principally centered around video game playing. Most of Linux's strengths as a platform continue to exist in its traditional strongholds of workstation and server duty, as well as embedded systems, point-of-sale terminals, and, increasingly, mini-laptops and low-end computers. But any available applications serve only to strengthen the platform, not make it weaker. Whatever your opinion of Unreal Tournament III was, the existence of a proper port to Linux shows that the underlying operating system just doesn't matter that much.

Not sure what the flag-waving Windows nationalism was about, really. It's just not called for, let alone accurate.

8. Be careful what you wish for Sep 19, 2008, 19:03 Carver

Linux people, you should be thankful that you don't have UT3 yet, as has been mentioned, and as just about all the known gaming world already knows, UT3 sucks, it is not popular, not many people play the game as it is, so the 2 and a half people that use Linux as a gaming platform lol, Linux for gaming, ha ha, that's a good one, aren't really going to help much.

Ut3 is dead, it was still born truth be known, even most of the die hard UT'ers dumped it, most of the community mappers/modders dumped it. EPIC FAIL.

Save yourself some money, perhaps invest that money into an Operating System which doesn't severely restrict you in what games you can play, in an OS which you aren't at the mercy of developers/publishers, only getting the scraps they are kind enough to toss at you. I used Linux for 2 or 3 years, ditching it and returning to Windows was the best thing I ever done, I'll never return to Linux. Windows, it just works, and everything is made for it, it's a no brainer really.

After you get over all that crap that the Linux community fill you head with, and realize all the stuff you are missing out on, you'll never look back. Linux is supposed to be all about choice, well let me tell you, if you are a gamer and use Linux, you've got no choice.

7. Re: ... Sep 19, 2008, 16:43 4D-Boxing

Yup the menu system is a dead give away...like Bhruic said. Add to that comments by Epic or CliffyBS about how the PC version & development....

UT99 is one of my fav games of all time..but 2k7 seems to be the last real UT game. I do not expect any future version to be released to the PC.

Wonder if CLiffyBS & DSmart are related?

PS. UT3 sucks compared to previous versions but when it comes to recent games..it's the best Deathmatch option. CoD4 DM ...well ...worst spawn sytem I've ever seen. (kill..turn back..&back track & run into the same guy 90% of the tme don't do it & he'll get you from behind no vaseline)

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 16:47.

6. thanks Ryan, I'll purchase it Sep 19, 2008, 13:36 Daturan

but what's with the new graphics bloom and film effects? the game requires a $400.00 video card so it can simulate having cataracts. ; )

5. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 12:23 JaguarUSF

If anything, UT3 didn't do enough. Why were the number of game modes in UT3 half of what they were in UT 2004? Answer: console limitations killed bombing run, mutant, domination, last man standing, assault, and invasion.
And the menus are clearly console driven. How else can you explain that UT 2004 had a better system by putting more information on a single screen, designed for high-resolution displays viewed from a couple of feet away?

4. Re: ... Sep 19, 2008, 11:52 Bhruic

I'm fed up of dickheads like you claiming everything is consolised. It wasn't consolised

Yes, it was. Anyone who tried to use the menu system for 2 seconds would quickly realize that. The UI was just plain horrible for the PC (and largely remains so).

As for gameplay, they were promising huge Warfare maps - that never materialized. The reason? Memory restrictions on consoles.

3. ... Sep 19, 2008, 10:03 theyarecomingforyou

I'm fed up of dickheads like you claiming everything is consolised. It wasn't consolised, it just wasn't great. It tried to do too much - CTF, Vehicle CTF, DM, Team DM, Duel, Warfare. It was also very busy graphically, which detracted from the experience. None of the decisions stemmed from its release on other platforms, as it was a straight progression from UT2k4. The problem is an identity crisis; Epic didn't know what made the original UT so great so they kept heading in different directions, each losing some of the character that made the original.

It's like Crysis - if that had of been released on X360 then people would have claimed the regenerating health and suit powers were an example of being consolised. The point is that developers dumb down features or make bad decisions all on their own - it's not related to games being released on consoles.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

2. No subject Sep 19, 2008, 07:21 Slink

Why are they even bothering with this? UT3 failed on PC because it was consolized garbage, nothing like the UTs we've seen in the past. How will it do any better on Linux and Mac?

- - - - - -
WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

1. linux client.. Sep 19, 2008, 01:47 LittleMe

Very nice!! Thanks Epic & Ryan!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo