Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id: Rage May not Support Mods

Gamasutra reports that the upcoming driving action game Rage may not support user-modifications, long a hallmark of id Software releases. The topic came up in a Q&A following Tim Willits' talk at the Austin Game Developers Conference (story) in answer to a user question. The id creative director reaffirms the company's belief in user mods, pointing out he owes his own career to game modding, but says that the horsepower required to process the megatextures used in the game may make full user modifications impractical. He does say he envisions users being able to create smaller modular mods that could be slotted into the game's existing structure. On a semi-related note, during this year's QuakeCon keynote, id technical director John Carmack revealed that their upcoming online shooter Quake Live will not support modifications either (story), albeit for completely different reasons.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Megatexture may not be an excuse... Sep 18, 2008, 22:56 talmand

The reason is not that it would be difficult for mod makers to create megatexture levels but it would be impractical to distribute them. My understanding is that the things take up mad space for a level. So a decent mod with several levels would be a huge download.

But opening up the mechanics of the game to support mods on a small scale would be at least something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. The way I see it Sep 18, 2008, 19:22 z0dd

Welcome to the age of consolation.

Even though many mods were great, there was nothing more frustrating than spending all of your gaming time looking for a base (no mods) server. Maybe not having mods is a boon in disguise?

25. No subject Sep 18, 2008, 16:50 Nameless Again

Funny, didn't they say that when Quake 1 came out, nobody would want to create levels for it because it took so long to BSP it? And look what happened...

Megatexture excuse is bullshit. It's id catering to a console fanbase.

And Nuke Diggity Dogg is STILL sucking my balls! He's a trooper! Sorry guys, you'll need to get your own little bitch.

24. huh? Sep 18, 2008, 13:25 DG

My impression of Willit's quotes is simply that he thinks making fully new custom maps may be impractical.

Obviously this is going to be quite a restriction for total conversion mods, but that's very different to mods being impossible. Regardless TC mods that are even worth the bandwidth are a small % of a dying breed. Nearly all the mods I've played significantly on a FPS have been ones that do not involve maps (e.g. OSP).

"Willits said other aspects of the game will actually be easier to work with than the company's prior titles. "The description languages and the tools are a lot easier to use than the things we've done in the past," he explained"

23. Don't be an idiot Willits Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 IQ

By all means say you don't really encourage this because its probably going to run like crap, but DO NOT put in restrictions to prevent it. If its a good product people will take it out 10 years from now where the computers of thence can render it with 10000 frames pr second.

22. bye bye Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 eggsborks

Well rage is just a console port and quake live is just a quake 3 rehash,so the only reason to buy these games on pc is to mod em.
Another developer alienating their original pc fan base.

21. Re: The Dark Mod Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Creston

If you're looking for epic Doom 3 modding efforts, and you have any kind of affection for Looking Glass's "Thief", then you absolutely need to know about this one:

Thanks Shadowcat

Creston

20. Re: Doom 3 Mods? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Creston

My favorite are Last Man Standing Coop and Classic Doom, which replicated the entire first game in the Doom 3 engine. Both make the game much more fun.

Awesome, thanks man

Creston

19. Re: The Dark Mod Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 World war 3

They're killing off their original fanbase, which made Doom3 more than a complete dud.
If their game is good enough, then great for them!
If it's not, and they would have relied on the mapping and modtools for success - then they're fucked.

I have enjoyed mapping in Doom3/Quake4 in the past, but am now out of it. Still sucks they're killing this great learning tool for new developers off.

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009
_______________________ __ _

18. The Dark Mod Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Shadowcat

If you're looking for epic Doom 3 modding efforts, and you have any kind of affection for Looking Glass's "Thief", then you absolutely need to know about this one:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

17. No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 KilrathiAce

They are afraid that the usermade mods may have more gameplay than their game itself

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

16. Re: Doom 3 Mods? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Prez

Can you link to any of the really good mods for Doom 3, Prez?

My favorite are Last Man Standing Coop and Classic Doom, which replicated the entire first game in the Doom 3 engine. Both make the game much more fun.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3
http://www.moddb.com/mods/last-man-standing-coop

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 01:26.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: id = Console Bitch? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Kxmode

Its really starting to sound like one of the last great PC supporters is finally going the way of the console.

Given the current state of the economy I suspect videos games and consoles will eventually fall. However most everyone STILL needs a computer and Internet. Gamers will eventually want to play games on their computers. Guess what? All companies, like iD, clammering to jump on-board the console wagon are going to come back... and in droves. Watch.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 01:15.

14. Doom 3 Mods? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Creston

Can you link to any of the really good mods for Doom 3, Prez?

I'm kind of curious what people have come up with.

Thanks.

Creston

13. Re: id = Console Bitch? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Prez

I remember them saying that the Doom 3 engine was too complicated for modders, and yet a slew of really good mods came out for it. Granted, not the huge, epic total conversions that we saw around the quake/quake 2/quake 3 engine days, but mods were made that greatly extended the life of the game. id of all people should know that a huge factor in a PC game's success is in its modability.

Game engines are more complex than ever before, that's true. But if the mods I played made from the Source engine are any indication, today's modder is more sophisticated than ever. I really hope they rethink this.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. id = Console Bitch? Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 necrosis

Its really starting to sound like one of the last great PC supporters is finally going the way of the console.

11. Makes sense Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Creston

After all, the 360 crowd doesn't really need/want mods. So why support them?

PC? What?

Creston

10. Re: No subject Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Kxmode

What's the formula for converting horsepower to Gigahurtz?

E=A^10

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 23:09.

9. BULLSHIT Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 tuddies

I call bullshit on the megatexture excuse. Granted, nobody will probably be interested enough to make mods for this POS, but you would think Willits could come up with a better excuse.

8. Re: ... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Rosco

Anything that is even vaguely worth playing is plagued by huge delays, like Black Mesa Source

Are they even working on that anymore? Every time I look the last front page update was Christmas 2007 and there is nothing going on in the forums other then a bunch of lollygagging.

Consoles are schwag.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo