Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned a tooth was bothering me recently, but the pain went away not long after. I have a dentist appointment today to see what it is, and I'm hoping it's nothing. That's not to say I'm not 99% sure I need a root canal, I just figure it can't hurt to hope for the best (Well, I suppose the best would be for him to drill into it and find a diamond, but you know what I mean).

Hopeful Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Elements. Thanks Digg.
Link: The 5 Most Baffling Spin-Offs in Television History.
Science: Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution.
Image: If Space Invaders Was Real (Animated Image). Thanks Digg.
Media: Shacklers Revenge. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Root Canal Sep 16, 2008, 15:31 Bronco

This is true. You need a machine from which to stream the media, or copy the media to the console first.

For the streaming, I use a piece of software called TVersity. It sits on a laptop connected to my network that also doubles as my media server. PS3 plays divx/xvid, avi, mpeg, other stuff (those are the only ones I worry about) and works a treat.

Hmm.

Ideally what I'm looking for is a wireless network adapter that would just grab the streamed audio from my main PC and output the audio(digital output preferred but not necessary) to my receiver.

I don't care for lots of bells and whistles - I just want to be able to create some simple playlists for my wife to hit when she is in the mood to listen to music in the house or out by the pool.

I guess I'll blow $90 and get the Linksys adapter and see how it works.

Thanks for the input!

-TPFKAS2S
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Root Canal Sep 16, 2008, 11:41 complicity

Complicity says the PS3 streams media
This is true. You need a machine from which to stream the media, or copy the media to the console first.

For the streaming, I use a piece of software called TVersity. It sits on a laptop connected to my network that also doubles as my media server. PS3 plays divx/xvid, avi, mpeg, other stuff (those are the only ones I worry about) and works a treat.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

23. Re: Root Canal Sep 16, 2008, 11:37 nin

Hmmm. I've been debating getting a PS3 for the Blu-ray as I don't have a player yet - and from what I read 6 months ago the PS3 was not a bad choice for a Blu-ray player all things considered.

The Xbox would also only cover one of the two locations...

Complicity says the PS3 streams media, let me see if I can get him to post here...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"
This comment was edited on Sep 16, 11:38.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Root Canal Sep 16, 2008, 11:35 Bronco

An Xbox arcade model? It has media sharing and you setup the share on the PC...

Hmmm. I've been debating getting a PS3 for the Blu-ray as I don't have a player yet - and from what I read 6 months ago the PS3 was not a bad choice for a Blu-ray player all things considered.

The Xbox would also only cover one of the two locations...

-TPFKAS2S

21. Re: Root Canal Sep 16, 2008, 10:57 nin

I don't really need to stream video right now although jpegs would be nice. Although I really don't want to spend more than $200.00 total for both locations...

An Xbox arcade model? It has media sharing and you setup the share on the PC...

And hey, it's $200!

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Root Canal Sep 16, 2008, 10:41 Bronco

Streaming how Bronco? I mean, can you not just hook up an audio out to an audio in port on the home theater system?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

The PC that is holding all of the audio sits in one room, I have two receivers I'd like to broadcast the audio to - one is in the room below so I guess I could run audio cables down to it...

The other is on the same floor but other side of the house.

I found this thing:

http://www.buy.com/prod/linksys-wireless-g-music-bridge-1-x-rj-45-10-100base-tx-wi-fi-linksys/q/loc/101/202191046.html

And this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/d-link-dsm-320-wireless-media-player-802-11g-audio-photo-video/q/loc/101/10363277.html

I don't really need to stream video right now although jpegs would be nice. Although I really don't want to spend more than $200.00 total for both locations...

-TPFKAS2S

19. Church of England Sep 16, 2008, 01:44 Kxmode

They must have played Spore and thought "Beckham!* That Darwin guy was right."

*substituting the Lord's name

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

18. Re: Charles Darwin Sep 15, 2008, 23:46 osage no onna

reason would dictate that it's adaptation and not evolution or intelligent design

That's a puzzling thing to say. What's your definition of evolution, pray?

17. Re: Vista gaming Sep 15, 2008, 18:07 Krovven

Especially UAC at first

Since I'm the only user on this computer...it got turned off immediately

Otherwise it's just folders resetting their view all the time

No different from XP Explorer doing the same. Make the changes you want to say the root of C drive, go into Folder Options and Apply to All Folders. Also make sure you have "Remember individual folder settings" turned on. Maybe turn it off, then back on and Apply. Now if you goto the folders for Music, Pictures, etc, and make specific layout changes there, it "should" remember them. It's not perfect, but better than the default.

and explorer having a "back" instead of an "up one level" button.

I'm going to check something when I get home tonight, also would solve my Refresh button issue. Will post in a few hours.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 18:15.

16. Re: Vista gaming Sep 15, 2008, 18:07 Krovven

x64 Vista, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe MB, 2gig Mushkin ram, 8800 GTS 512mb, SB Audigy 2 ZS.

15. Re: Vista gaming Sep 15, 2008, 17:52 DG

I'm on Vista x64 for several months now, not had any problems yet, though mine has SP1 on the DVD.

There are a few annoyances. Especially UAC at first, but after a while it rarely pops up - I would now consider it a big plus except that malware can bypass it anyway.

Otherwise it's just folders resetting their view all the time (anyone have a fix that doesn't involve the registry? I'd prefer thumbs for pics and List for everything else) and explorer having a "back" instead of an "up one level" button.

Visa 64bit, Core2 E8400, 4gb ram, 9800gtx 256mb.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 17:52.

14. Re: 4:22am Sep 15, 2008, 17:34 Kosumo

Gee Quboid, are you my neigbour or something, I had been blasting that album a fair bit last week.

I just hope Blues dogs don't get put to bed between two bits of bread.

R.I.P. Richard Wright, of Pink Floyd who past away to the great gig in the sky today.

13. Re: Vista gaming Sep 15, 2008, 17:00 shul

Keep the update going, sounds interesting (I am using XP/Fedora on my machine but I have a DX10 compatible card and would very much like to know if I should upgrade to Vista)

Is it 32bit Vista? What is your spec?

12. No subject Sep 15, 2008, 16:54 xXBatmanXx

WHAT DID I MISS? WHAT DID I MISS?

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Root Canal Sep 15, 2008, 16:08 Krovven

maybe you should have paid for windows, then. SP1 is regarded as the patch that finally makes Vista not suck.

WTF are you talking about?

a) It's a legit version of Vista. Where you got the idea it's pirated is beyond me. Just your own ignorance I guess.

b) Do you even know how the Vista Update works? It gave a laundry list of 30 or so updates, didnt look at them just downloaded and installed. Check Windows Update after reboot, 1 update required. Install Reboot, Windows Update...no updates. Now, if you don't hit Scan For Updates until you do get more updates listed (took 2 scans for it to show up), then you think it's done. Then SP1 comes up, and then even after that I had to scan a few more times to get the last 2 or 3 updates.

I dont really know what you planned to accomplish with the crap you spewed.

Hell did you even see that the problem with instability was caused by me pre-maturely installing video and sound drivers before all the Vista patches had finished being installed? Or did you just read the first two paragraphs and automatically (and incorrectly) assume that I pirated Vista?

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 16:28.

10. Re: Root Canal Sep 15, 2008, 14:25 PHJF

Then it suddenly starts installing SP1 (what the hell did I just install then?)...anyways it borked my system

maybe you should have paid for windows, then. SP1 is regarded as the patch that finally makes Vista not suck.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Root Canal Sep 15, 2008, 14:20 Enahs

Streaming how Bronco? I mean, can you not just hook up an audio out to an audio in port on the home theater system?

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Charles Darwin Sep 15, 2008, 14:05 deadgoon

reason would dictate that it's adaptation and not evolution or intelligent design.

7. Vista gaming Sep 15, 2008, 13:49 Krovven

So this past weekend I picked up a Seagate 1 TB hard drive for $130

Decided to give Vista another try after about a year or more since I last gave it a try. The last time failed miserably as Logitech didn't have Vista drivers for my mouse/keyboard, Creative's drivers for sound were garbage, and nVidia was still working on problems with their drivers, Steam wasn't supporting Vista at the time and in general games ran very poorly, up to 30% worse than under XP, and I only had an 8600 GT which didnt help run Vista much.

Install went nice and smooth, however I did run into a hiccup as Windows Update doesn't show you a full list of what there is to update, instead it tells you what you can install now. After that group of updates is installed you have to keep going in and hitting Refresh to get more updates (even if it tells you there is none, which is a lie). So I had started installing stuff, drivers for video & sound, etc. Then it suddenly starts installing SP1 (what the hell did I just install then?)...anyways it borked my system...had to reinstall.

So this time I made sure to keep checking Windows Update over and over before I installed any software or any other drivers.

There were some problems with the Creative sound drivers conflicting with nVidia's drivers (apparently a known conflict that has caused many a user a headache). The system was running sluggish at first, but after updating to the newest Creative drivers it runs very smooth indeed.

I actually prefer Vista's Windows Explorer to the XP version, but there are a few things I'd like to change, but don't know if I can in Vista. Anyone know how to customize Windows Explorer toolbar? I want to put a Refresh button as I have always done with XP.

I checked out a handful of games, particularly Crysis and Company of Heroes (as they are both Dx10). Both ran pretty much the same as they did in XP, but noticeably looked better, particularly the enviro effects such as haze, fog and smoke.

Thus far I have not come across any deal breaking problems that would make me go running back to my XP install...overall everything is looking very good.

6. No subject Sep 15, 2008, 13:26 Mr. Tact

DRM is KING, obviously.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer