Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, so today Rock Band 2 is out, and last Sunday Spore was released. This has me wondering what is the logic of a Sunday release? If it was to give players the chance to buy and play a new game over the weekend, it would make more sense to release on Saturday. And the main effect of a Sunday release would seem to be that it gives brick-and-mortar stores and digital downloads and advantage over getting games through the mail, but it's not clear to me why publishers would be motivated to create such a situation.

Curious Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Momentum missile mayhem 3.
Links: Best Parts of Crap Games.
Stories: Woman arrested for DWI after she crashes into speed sign, speed radar device.
NIN Dazzles With Lasers, LEDs and Stealth Screens. Thanks nin.
Sweet Dreams in Hard Times Add to Lottery Sales.
Science: Broccoli 'may help protect lungs'.
'Only a matter of time' before more hurricanes hit the Northeast coast. Thanks Devicer.
Hurricane Ike disrupts traffic in space.
Image: NIN The Great BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.
The Saddest Male Models In The World.
Media: Sofia Escapes!
Woman's false teeth fall out during Divorce Court.
Desert Drag Racer.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Fewtball Sep 15, 2008, 00:45 deadgoon

If Rodgers keeps this up Green Bay won't be missing Brett for long, considering how he was playing today.

Two words: John Kitna

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Fewtball Sep 15, 2008, 00:00 Cutter

Holy shitballs! Some goodamn great football today! See that Packers game? If Rodgers keeps this up Green Bay won't be missing Brett for long, considering how he was playing today. Have to say the game of the day - at least as far as I saw - was the Denver V. SD today, Jesus that was some good, classic football! Goddamn am I ever happy that football is back!

"There are parts of New York I wouldn't advise you to invade."
- Bogart as Rick in Casablanca

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: New System Sep 14, 2008, 21:23 Enahs

No one cares - as we all hate you. Freeloading hippie punk college kid.

You are just jealous because my system will be better then yours!

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. No subject Sep 14, 2008, 20:52 Dev

kxmode:
That actually makes sense. So they can get the biggest possible 1st week sales numbers.

Which incidentally is one of the main reasons why some movies hit wed or thurs, they can sometimes count those extra sales as opening weekend box numbers. (presuming you don't mean the midnight thursday movies which are actually friday since they are 12:01)

8. Suckage Sep 14, 2008, 20:49 banddirector

Well, WarPig, ready to kill yourself yet?

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.
This comment was edited on Sep 14, 20:50.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

7. Re: New System Sep 14, 2008, 20:21 xXBatmanXx

Good times.

No one cares - as we all hate you. Freeloading hippie punk college kid.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. sunday release Sep 14, 2008, 19:03 shul

my theory is that people start working on monday, and so the technical support (low level) can start patching the game if needed on monday, when the bug reports start rolling in.

5. New System Sep 14, 2008, 18:21 Enahs

I just purchased the components for my new system.

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
  • 4 gigs OCZ Gold High Performance Gaming Memory
  • Asus P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 motherboard w/ 8-Phase Power Optimized Stable Overclocking
  • Simple but nice case
  • Simple but powerful PSU
  • New SATA Hard-Drive 250GB (just need a decent hard drive with fast access, bulk storage will be on my older huge ass drives
  • Vista 64 Bit (I will be Booting Both Vista 64 and an XP)
  • Another nice LCD monitor for Dual Screen action

• I will be using my 8800GT for now in it though. My current system, everything but the 8800GT is the bottleneck. In the new system, it will be the bottleneck. The motherboard supports all the fancy new video cards and such for upgrading later.

Good times.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
    http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 18:22.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
    - W. C. Fields

4. Releasing on Sunday Sep 14, 2008, 16:55 Kxmode

Because a week technically begins with Sunday, not Monday.

-----
    http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
    Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
    DRM needs to die... now

3. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2008, 11:51 deadgoon

the gaming industry has always been a bit different than the movie/music tuesday release.

For a time you could only get a Wii at the ass-crack of dawn on Sunday if you were lucky.

2. No subject Sep 14, 2008, 11:14 JaguarUSF

The Sunday release is to ensure that every store has copies of the game on that particular date. Deliveries are made on Friday and that gives one full day to stock the shelves and get coordinated. At least that's my theory.

1. No subject Sep 14, 2008, 11:13 xXBatmanXx

Yea, not sure. I never understood why movies came out on Wed/Thur and games came out on Tuesday? WHY NOT GAME RELEASES ON FRIDAY YOU DUMBASSES!

Ugh. Bothers me to no end. And seriously - NFL Sunday. Week 2? Kids aren't going to get the tv time on a Sunday like they would on other days....

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
    Playing: New dad

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo