Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Deals

Valve's Steam Service is now accepting preorders for Crysis Warhead, as they will be carrying the shooter prequel. They are also now offering the original Crysis, as well as a bundle of Crysis now and Warhead when it is released. Steam News also has this weekend's sale, offering "indie hits" Gumboy and Gumboy Tournament for $4.99 (regularly $29.98) when purchased together in celebration of the 10 year anniversary of Cinemax. Finally, Steam also announces that if you preorder Introversion's Multiwinia: Survival of the Flattest before September 19, you'll get Darwinia now for free.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. ... Sep 13, 2008, 21:58 theyarecomingforyou

They've been working on the Steam client recently and one of the fixes related to the fragmentation of game files. It's always been a feature but it was never really used - after the update is wanted me to defrag TF2 but I think that was the only one.

There's a new Steam client beta (accessible under Settings) that's probably worth trying - I've been in the past half dozen or so and never come across any issues, plus you get to check out all the changes before everyone else.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: ... Sep 13, 2008, 17:38 xXBatmanXx

as the Steam client doesn't seem particularly well equipped for lots of games

I don't do a lot of deleting and re-installing of steam games - so they remain pretty unchanged....yesterday I was getting steam "defrag" errors within steam. Every game I was trying to fire up it wanted me to defrag that game file first. wtf?

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. ... Sep 13, 2008, 17:10 theyarecomingforyou

Wow - at this rate, the weekends are going to pack my Steam account full of damn near every game!
I know what you mean. I've got nearly 70 games on Steam, all of which are currently installed. Managing them is getting a bit awkward, as the Steam client doesn't seem particularly well equipped for lots of games - I wish you could arrange games in folders, like Favourites works currently. Not only that but it installs all games in the same location with no way of changing if you run out of space. My Steam folder is currently over 70GB and Clear Sky and Crysis Warhead haven't even started preloading yet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

24. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 12:16 Killer Kane

Ummm, Cinemax has been around for like, 28 years

23. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 11:24 Bucky

I'm assuming that is not the Uncensored Import Enhanced Edition.

Correct. According to some forum posts by Stardock people the publisher has limited them to the NA release of the Enhanced Edition; the publisher is also the one responsible for limiting the territories that it can be sold in.

For $27 though....it was too good to pass up.

22. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 10:32 MMORPGHoD

Order it off Impulse instead - same 10% discount, but then you can get an additional 20% off using this coupon code: SURVEY-2008

$27 for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

I'm assuming that is not the Uncensored Import Enhanced Edition.

21. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 10:13 xXBatmanXx

Wow - at this rate, the weekends are going to pack my Steam account full of damn near every game!

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 07:49 Shadowcat

Does no one here care about Gumboy and his Crazy Adventures?
Gumboy Crazy Adventures is good fun. Gumboy Tournament sounds very different, and I haven't really been interested, but for $5 I might be persuaded, despite my dislike of Steam.

If you don't have either than $5 is an absolute steal.

Crazy Adventures is a bit weird in that the goals of the tutorial levels (of which there are many) bear absolutely no similarity to the goals of the 'real' levels. It's more like the tutorial is a bonus game type. The proper levels have some absolutely gorgeous graphics and sound, and can be a bit magical at times. Fairly unique, beautifully presented, and definitely worth the asking price.

19. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 05:59 KilrathiAce

Steam makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

18. Re: Sep 13, 2008, 05:36 Rseman

gamersgate.com does sell to Australians and also has The Witcher. However, it's a title only available to Nth America. So, yeah, I guess it's a publisher thing.

17. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 04:21 AhrimaaN

Impulse doesn't sell The Witcher to Australians. How unfair is that. Me smells price fixing bullshit a la Ubisoft going on.

16. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 04:00 Reckless

It'll still have DRM, didn't Bioshock have Securom it on Steam like its physical offering?

For those who expect it, Steam is not meant to be cheaper than retail outlets. In fact a whole lot of [nearly new] stuff ends up being more expensive as retail discount titles to shift stock. Weekend sales can be good (I nearly bought the id superpack as I hadn't ever played the Q2 missions packs) but really these sales (especially of older titles) just show how much cash is made on SKUs that would have otherwise been in a bargain bin!

I'm a 'physical CD person' so my comments reflect my acceptance but dislike of Steam (or any other digital service).

15. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2008, 02:13 Elf Shot The Food

Does no one here care about Gumboy and his Crazy Adventures?

I picked up the $4.99 package with both games. It's not bad, sort of like an offbeat variation on Sonic the Hedgehog with attractive hand-painted art.

14. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 01:34 banddirector

I loved Crysis, and I pre-ordered Warhead direct from EA. I got it for $25 a month or so ago ....

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

13. No subject Sep 13, 2008, 01:20 DangerDog

I think Far Cry 2 is going to be dissapointing, they claim 80 hours of gameplay - I kind of doubt they went to the trouble of creating 80 hours of unique missions for the game, going to wait for the user reviews to kick in on this one.

12. Shit Sep 13, 2008, 01:18 Creston

I didn't think it'd be on Steam so I just pre-ordered it at Lamestop. Sigh.

That 28 bucks for the Witcher is very tempting...

Creston

11. Re: Polish with English Subtitles? Sep 13, 2008, 01:11 Fion

I'm a big fan of steam as it often doesn't include the DRM stuff, but who knows when it comes to EA.

I 'may' be Warhead. I did enjoy Crysis, especially some of the stuff with the aliens towards the end.

But I'm looking forward to Farcry 2 much more so

10. Polish with English Subtitles? Sep 12, 2008, 23:48 Paranoid Jack

I can't wait to replay it with the added content, the restored cut dialog, and the extra polish. Plus playing it with Polish voice acting and English subtitles should be great. I hope it's possible. I read it was.

Edit: The Witcher that is.
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 23:50.

9. Re: Sep 12, 2008, 23:46 Rseman

Hey! no complaining about the no discount for you buying Crysis through Steam. In Australia we have three options for buying it:

Option 1 - Crysis Warhead $29.99

Option 2 - Crysis Complete Pack $89.98

Complete pack includes Crysis valued at $59.99 and Warhead valued at $29.99.

Option 3 - Crysis Complete Pack $94.98

Complete pack includes Crysis valued at $59.99 and Warhead valued at $29.00.

Individual Price for both - $89.98

Package Price Cost to you - $94.98

What a deal!

Already have Crysis but Warhead via Steam is around $20.00 less than it will be here so I'll grab it.

8. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2008, 23:36 Bucky

Order it off Impulse instead - same 10% discount, but then you can get an additional 20% off using this coupon code: SURVEY-2008

$27 for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Forgot about the survey code. Plus, no worries about an offline mode not working since Impulse is not required to be running when the game is launched--unlike Steam, which still has issues when there's a connection problem.

Purchased. Now gimme! Been waiting for this game for awhile now.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo