Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spore - One Account Per Household

The EA Forums have a confirmation that only one account can be created in Spore per purchased copy, in spite of the game's manual saying otherwise, an issue first reported here last week (story). According to Violet from EA, the manual for the just-released life simulation has a misprint: "That section in the manual was a misprint and will be corrected in future printings of the manual. There is one Spore registration/account per game/serial code so you are correct in that you cannot make multiple accounts at this time." She does say she will raise this topic with the powers that be: "I have sent your guys' feedback to the game team though since I can understand the desire to share a game on a system that you entire family uses." Thanks Consumerist/Digg/Ant.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. What you said you wanted to do is possib May 19, 2009, 19:45 Shadowdienastie

You can do this if you have separate computers. You just cant play online at the same time. Everything you choose to share will pop up in her game too. Just buy one copy and install the same copy on both computers or simply take turns playing. You can create multiple games <worlds> in one galaxy if you have one computer or if installed on two computers you each will have your own galaxy but all "shared" content will upload to each others games because you both will share an online tag. Me and my boyfriend do this both ways. I have my game on three diff computers. I almost didnt buy it for the same reason you didnt. But the game surprised me about how much the ratings and threads like this said it couldnt do and turns out....it can. anyway if you dont like take it put a nick in the disk with a razor and take it back to the store as defective.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. EA Sep 13, 2008, 00:47 Kxmode

If the box says EA stay the fuck away. nuff said

lEAve

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now

57. Violet Sep 13, 2008, 00:33 Kxmode

"That section in the manual was a misprint and will be corrected in future printings of the manual."

Don't bother. The combination of DRM-free torrents with weak ratings on Amazon is going to send Spore in bargin bins soon.

EA you suck

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
DRM needs to die... now
This comment was edited on Sep 13, 00:34.

56. Not buying spore then Sep 12, 2008, 21:57 IQ

Say after me EA nazies: DRM is wrong

Now repeat it.

55. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2008, 20:30 Prez

Thank you, and as mentioned by someone else you can only create 3 different universes. I'd also like to add its not like people couldn't adapt, share and ration the installs number of creatures or universe, it's a matter of why the hell should they have to?

Precisely. For me personally it is more of a matter of taking issue with EA's apparent disdain for its customers rather than the inconvenience.

Count me as a a lost sale as well. I was planning on buying this so my daughter and I could each create our own worlds and creatures and compare them. There are so few quality games with which a dad can bond with his young children these days that I was genuinely looking forward to Spore. Here's a game that looked like I would enjoy it at least somewhat and one I can share with my daughter. I was really looking forward to seeing what kind of creatures would spawn from the mind of an eight-year old. Then the news about the DRM hit, and while my anticipation was dampened somewhat, I was still committed to buying it, only now I was going to wait either until the activation BS was patched out or cracked. But the one account per license nixed it completely. Again the inconvenience, while no small matter, is really beside the point. I have no wish in helping make a game published by a company with such blatant disdain and distrust for its customers successful.

I will not be buying this now, at least not until it's a $10 bargain bin title. How many more potential customers are doing the same? That's a question EA ought to ponder long and hard.

(Huh huh, he said "long and hard ", huh huh...)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2008, 20:02 Pigeon

This means people are forced to share the same set of achievements and unlocks

Thank you, and as mentioned by someone else you can only create 3 different universes. I'd also like to add its not like people couldn't adapt, share and ration the installs number of creatures or universe, it's a matter of why the hell should they have to?

With all the touting about how the game is about using unlimited imagination they're sure quick to slap limits on everything.

And it has nothing to do with piracy. The only link I can see to this and piracy is to be able to validate that the copy being played was bought, but there's no reason they have to tie game ownership to user accounts. I'm assuming the game comes with one of those 100 digit CD keys, why can't ownership be tied to that and then let the people who bought it make as many accounts as they want? Then in a typical family of 4 everyone can have their own account, have their own sets of universes their own achievements etc etc, and EA still gets its minimal assurances the game wasn't pirated.

Why not have an ownership account and player accounts that can be tied to that? The only reason I can think of is so they can make more money off families or other multiple person households.

As for the other posting on EA replying to DRM concerns. A complete load of bull. Gee I'm really happy you think you've meet the needs of those 50% of people that fall nicely into the bell curve you undoubtedly used to figure out such a lame brained idea of what customer needs were. How kind of them to say, this'll be good for half the people and tough tacos for the rest.

When somebody makes a claim like that in the scientific or academic world they're expected to at the very least produce their data and give a complete description of their methodology including what statistical analysis they've used. In the business world you claim you've done all that, say it turned out just how you predicted and refuse to share any information on how you came to that conclusion. So please excuse those of us who remain extremely skeptical in the face of EA's claims when they won't reveal a shred of evidence.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 20:02.

53. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2008, 19:26 Krovven

I've installed it on more then one system

And now you only have 1 install left. Lucky you.

It's not like you can't use the online features on your other installs.

??? Please read what people are saying below. ACCOUNT, NOT INSTALL. You cannot create more than one ACCOUNT. You can only create a single account whether you install it on 1, 2 or 3 PC's. This means people are forced to share the same set of achievements and unlocks. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MULTIPLE INSTALLS OR MULTIPLE USERS AT THE SAME TIME OR EVEN ON MULTIPLE PC's.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 • Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

52. No subject Sep 12, 2008, 19:07 Entr0py24

I'm thinking some of you may misunderstand what the limits are on the game. I've installed it on more then one system, and played it online on more then one system. It's not like you can't use the online features on your other installs.

The only limit is that you can't play online on multiple systems SIMULTANEOUSLY on the same account. But they could take turns. Or even play at the same time with one of them offline. Something that would be impossible on most PC games without cracking them, due to disk checks.

Ruffiana: You can have as many creatures and games as you want. It's not like an MMO game where you have limited character slots.

51. Re: One account means what? Sep 12, 2008, 18:02 MindStalkerReturned

Ok, I don't own a copy, but gonna answer anyways.
An account gets you an account on spore.com, it also lets you run the game.
With your one account you can create 3 universes which don't effect each other. BUT your account has only one accomplishments list, meaning once you complete an accomplishment its unlocked for all other universes as well.

50. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 18:01 Krovven

http://kotaku.com/5049212/amazon-deletes-all-spore-customer-reviews-blames-site-glitch

Site glitch my ass!

Although it has now been restored to the 2216 reviews that it was at earlier instead of the 2000 or so it had right after they restored.

49. One account means what? Sep 12, 2008, 17:45 Ruffiana

Help me out here, those of you who actually own a copy of the game. What does only having one account mean for a family? Can you still have multiple creatures/games going on or does one account mean you get one creature and one game at a time?

48. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 17:38 Krovven

edit: And now we're back? 2016 one star reviews?

I swear, those weren't there when I posted earlier...

They weren't. The reviews were removed...looks like now it's been trimmed down to maybe cut out spam on the reviews, as there was over 2200 earlier before removal.

47. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 17:34 Quboid

she said "Why? That's stupid!"
Marry her. Now.

also...
In summary, f*ck y**, EA.
Thank you censoring such a terrible 3 letter word

Quboid
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 17:35.

- Quboid

46. No subject Sep 12, 2008, 17:28 Bone43

If the box says EA stay the fuck away. nuff said

45. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 17:27 Ray Marden

That is my situation...in a way. Originally, I was extremely excited about Spore, but I had grown a bit less interested in it as of late. However, it was still on my radar a bit.

Just a few days ago, my girlfriend stumbled onto the Spore website from somewhere/something (either word of mouth or some banner,) she asked me what it was, I had her download the creature creator, etc. She had quite a bit of fun with it and we were going to purchase it - a single copy - this weekend. Yeah, there would be a hassle of having to play on the same computer, but that way we could both get what we wanted from it and we did not need to both have our own indivudual copy of the game.

But now? We will not be purchasing the game at all. I was already a bit tired of Spore and more than fed up with EA, but even my girlfriend does not want the game anymore. I told her the situation and she said "Why? That's stupid!"

So now EA lost a purchase over something that had nothing to do with piracy or multiple installs. And any chance of the game utterly blowing us out of the water and making us purchase a second copy of the game, one for each of us, is now gone.

In summary, f*ck y**, EA.

Even when they do bother to "fix" this, I will not be purchasing this game. It is my way to fight against this ongoing customer abuse and sheer incompetence.
Seriously, does anybody at EA have a clue?
Wishing Wright would grow a backbone,
Ray

-----
Let me be the one to give credit where due: Current employees of Mythic are jerks.
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

44. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 17:21 Quboid

I'm seeing 2016 1* reviews too. Maybe Amazon re-caved and realised they screwed the pooch. Too late?

Quboid

- Quboid

43. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 17:12 nin

I can't imagine the pissed off masses not immediately leaving bad reviews as soon as the old ones were wiped.

I'll be writing another tonight...

edit: And now we're back? 2016 one star reviews?

I swear, those weren't there when I posted earlier...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 17:13.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 17:07 Prez

I was really interested in how the game would review in PC Gamer, as the EIC, Kirsten Salvatore has been drooling over it for months, if not years.

She spent a good deal complaining about it, and went so far as to state that it isn't a game at all, but a toy. Points for honesty there. Of course, points are lost for going against the magazine's own review policy about giving a write-up about any DRM in the title they are reviewing. And the the inexplicable 91% score after all of the documented problems with it.

I have always been forgiving of PC Gamer because I always gave them the benefit of the doubt on their reviews, even when I disagreed, because they seemed to be based on genuine opinion and not some pre-conceived notion about what a game should score based on the amount of hype it received. I accepted the fact that the reviewers there are unapologetic fanboys of PC gaming, and that their reviews would reflect as much.

But starting around the time Hellgate got an 'excellent' rating from them, it started to seem like the scores were being assigned based on either how well-hyped a game was, or how badly they wanted to like the game rather how good it actually was.

It's gotten so that any and all game reviews are completely invalid for any number of reasons. It's almost impossible to determine beforehand how good a game really is, because every review is written by 1) A blind, idealistic fanboy 2) A game jackal who hates everything except Fallout and Ultima 3) A corporate shill who values ad dollars more than journalistic integrity.

It's a damn shame.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Amazon - thank you Sep 12, 2008, 17:03 Quboid

The shit is hitting the fan. Amazon caving is big news, big enough so it might reach the clueless masses who need to boycott before anyone will listen. It's waaaaay too early to tell but Amazon may have done us a huge favour by highlighting that we're all being progressively raped deeper and deeper with each release. Darkest before the dawn?

Quboid

- Quboid

40. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 16:42 Krovven

Looks like Amazon caved and removed all reviews...

Wow that only happened in the last couple of hours. I looked earlier today and it was over 2200 reviews.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo