Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Evochron Renegades

The Evochron Renegades Website offers a new version of Evochron Renegades, the freeform space combat, trader and mercenary simulator. The new version 1.908 offers a number of improvements, most focused on multiplayer play. As always, the new version serves as patch for previous versions, a playable demo, or the full game, should you choose to buy a license key and unlock it.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Worth it? Sep 12, 2008, 15:09 Quboid

Interesting, thanks Aero. I must give the demo a go.

Quboid

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Worth it? Sep 12, 2008, 14:22 Shadowcat

IDS (I forget what it stands for) where your ship's onboard computers automatically handle the thrusters to make the ship fly more like one in a traditional space sim.
I'm going to guess Inertial Dampening System, going by that description.

I-War had the same kind of thing, and it worked nicely.

One of these days I'll have to try Ecochron... I keep on hearing good things about it.

3. Re: Worth it? Sep 12, 2008, 13:12 Aero

The graphics are definitely not at X3's level effects wise. They're perfectly fine though--adequate is probably the best word. The environments are generally more interesting though, you can fly through nebulae, land on planets, explore moons, asteroid fields... that sort of stuff. Gravity makes things interesting as well, of course.

Trading/Mining works pretty well, you feel like you're actually traveling because of the environments. I definitely prefer this aspect to the way it works in X3. My only gripe, and this is IMO a relatively big one, is that there aren't any dedicated cargo ships, which is kind of a shame. I'd like that. You still can hold enough to make a lot of money trading though, a *lot* of money if you find some good trade routes, particularly in the uncharted systems, and the more dangerous locations.

I prefer the combat in Evochron by far, the whole newtonian physics thing makes for much more interesting strategies. You can also enable IDS (I forget what it stands for) where your ship's onboard computers automatically handle the thrusters to make the ship fly more like one in a traditional space sim.

Evochron is much more of a lone-wolf style space sim. You can contract wing-men, but that's about it. No player fleets or building stations or anything else like that. X3 and Evochron are pretty fundamentally different games.

It's more of an apples to oranges kind of thing. Evochron isn't nearly as complicated as X3, it's closer to the traditional space-sims. I definitely couldn't give it an unqualified recommendation to someone who likes X3 for the things that X3 does well.

2. Re: Worth it? Sep 12, 2008, 12:57 Prez

I like it, but I never played the X games, so I don't know if that helps at all.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

1. Worth it? Sep 12, 2008, 12:21 Quboid

I could never get into the X games no matter how much I wanted to. How does this compare for graphics, controls, combat and trading?

Quboid

- Quboid

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo