Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On WAR's Rough Euro Beta Launch

Mark Jacobs' Blog has thoughts from the Mythic boss about the difficulties launching the open beta testing of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning in Europe (story), which is now underway. His initial post is mostly to decry the outcry over troubles with a beta, though this may not be completely cognizant of how beta access was dangled as a benefit of preordering. The post was subsequently updated clarifying that GOA is not without blame, saying that the game's European manager "messed up" and that it "was an ugly day," and clarifying that he does not deny the right of players to be angry. He also comments on statements by GOA's IainC: "Iíll simply say this, I do not agree with what he said, I do not support what he said and his comments were, in my opinion, way out of line." We're not sure what comments he's referencing, there's a Letter from IainC on the Warhammer Forums, but this does not seem at all inflammatory. Moving forward, Videogaming247 has received a statement from GOA saying "These issues will of course be completely fixed for the launch."

View
7. War Beta Sep 9, 2008, 12:23 Tumbler

I'm enjoying the War beta so far. I'm level 6 now and I've figured out how to find quest items/goals on the map which was my only gripe.

I love the PVP (Called RvR in the game) in this game. There are a lot of well designed features in the game that really make you feel like you're in the middle of a lot of other players. There are public quest zones, small area that a set of enemies spawn in and players compete for loot. Once the public quest ends everyone gets a shot at loot through a lottery system that divides the rewards up to different people.

There is also contested zones you can walk straight into and be flagged rvr after 10 seconds. I'm not sure what the purpose of holding these zones is but it's really nice to have pvp and pve all in the same place. No special servers, no special areas, just walk into this town and poof!, PVP!.

The Scenario's are great in my opinion. You can jump into an instanced pvp battle from just about anywhere.

Far as I can tell all the XP you earn in pvp and pve is the same. You can level up doing either one which I'm VERY happy with.

Combat in this game is a big step back from Conan. I have to say that seeing all the death animations and character animations in Conan was much better than this. But the whole experience in War is superior. I wish they'd incorporate some of the conan death animations into this game.

Combat can get a bit repetitive from what I've seen so far. I picked a Marauder (like a barbarian in conan) which is a melee character and chasing people around to fight in PvP with lag and hordes of players around isn't exactly fun... It works ok but there is some room for improvement.

I think I want to re-roll a ranged character. Seems like it's be easier to fight in pvp if you weren't trying to chase your enemy and attack at the same time. Ranged get to just pick a target and shoot fireballs.

Fury had issues with this as well. Ranged combat was much more effective because melee attacks depended on your enemies not moving to be effective. I have an attack that can slow enemies down so I can smash them adn such but it doesn't change the fact that you still have to move in all directions to keep hitting him while he can stand in place hitting me just by pressing a button.

I'm enjoying the game so far. I'm not sure why people are so pissed about the open beta not "launching" without a hitch. It's a free beta, players are supposed to expect and put up with this kind of thing.

And the Euro side is working now no? Was it a 24 hour delay? You'd think they took everyones money and delivered nothing by the posts...

I'm also impressed with the totally seemless world (so far). I've never hit a load screen, you walk straight into caves, when you reach the end of the area (on the world map) you just walk right into the next.

I haven't seen much of an economy or a trade system for players to browse other players items for sale, I'm sure it's here somewhere but it's not obvious.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 9, 11:39 No subject xXBatmanXx
  2. Sep 9, 11:53  Re: No subject Doombringer
  3. Sep 9, 12:05   Re: No subject Fion
  4. Sep 9, 12:10 No subject Pumas
  5. Sep 9, 12:13  Re: No subject Xirix
  6. Sep 9, 12:17  Re: No subject xXBatmanXx
>> 7. Sep 9, 12:23 War Beta Tumbler
  8. Sep 9, 13:12  Re: War Beta Grounded
  9. Sep 9, 13:33   Re: War Beta Xirix