Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky in NA Next Week

GSC Game World announces September 15 as the new North American release date for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, after the shooter prequel was delayed from its planned September 5 release (story), reportedly due to the absence of CD keys in the package. GSC also says "The digital download release date has not yet been determined," but Valve made an announcement on Friday (story) likewise saying the Steam edition of Clear Sky is due on September 15.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: ... Sep 10, 2008, 04:03 Hpankin

Dagok, I've used quite a few mods for SoC so I might be able to help you get a better experience out of the game. The only time SoC crashed to desktop for me was when I altered some ltx files without knowing exactly how they affected others.

If you want to get decent armor without altering game files:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhP_cqC-w0

If all you want is a fair encumbrance limit, a good gun, and great armor...then look no further than the Jin-roh mod (the one I use to "run & gun" while still enjoying the stock storyline). It says the mod is only for version 1.001 of the game but that's hogwash. I run it very well on 1.005. After it's installed, you've got to buy both the gun and the armor from the trader. Plus, you'll notice the trader's got everything in the game for sale. hehe:
http://stalker.filefront.com/file/JinRoh_MOD;77730

And here's another link that may be helpful to ya:
http://www.webalice.it/requena/game/stalker/stalker.htm

Good luck, Stalker!

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 04:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: ... Sep 9, 2008, 14:47 Krovven

Last time I was playing I was about 10 hrs in (then lost my saves). I had done all the stuff in the first 3 or 4 zones, and had progressed through a handful of missions after the town with the bartender (sorry cant recall names). I had 4 100+ Endurance artifacts that I'd swap out when I needed to travel. I had 2 rifles, 1 AK, and forget the name of the other, kinda looks like a CAR that I can remember, I think both were "special". I had put a sniper scope on one and another scope (but not as good) on the other.

By comparison, I really don't know how these weapons stack up against others later in the game. But you know that railyard between the beginning camp and the town with the bartender? I'd be up in the window trying to take down the bandits guarding the tunnel...missing by 10 feet with carefully aimed shots and had to take them on in close combat...only to have them respawn once I zone through the tunnel, do my business and come back...so I'd zone into 10 guys on top of me. Just fucking annoying.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

27. ... Sep 9, 2008, 14:30 theyarecomingforyou

I'm going to give this game one last shot, un-modded, try and persevere despite the weapon inaccuracies, the incredibly low weight limit, the unindicated timed quests, etc.
I've played through it a couple of times unmodded and found it great. The weight limit annoyed me at first but basically it's not too bad - stock up on one primary weapon, lots of ammo (500 rounds), health (25 med kits, 50 bandages), a few items of food, artifacts and your armour and that's plenty. I usually weigh around 47-50, though if you get some top endurance artifacts you can run weighing up to 60kg (there's a good one, +106 endurance, in the first underground area by the lightning). The great thing is you always come across loads of ammo and health when you kill people. The weapon accuracy is chronic when you first start but is fine when you get your first proper machine gun. The timed quests, however, simply make no sense... I don't understand why they did that.

The biggest thing with STALKER is you can't just approach it like HL2 or Crysis - balancing your weight and health is very important. It's not perfect but I really enjoyed many of the RPG-like aspects and inventory management. I can understand how it can piss people off, though - it did when I first played it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

26. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 12:44 Krovven

I spent a couple hours trying things out on STALKER-SHOC last night. Downloaded the game through Steam, got the serial # from the Registry, got an ISO of the game, reinstalled using my serial #, updated to 1.0006, tested the game and a save...worked fine.

Not using any downloaded mods, I went to the STALKER mod wiki, and followed the instructions for modifying my own Weight Limit, which I already knew how to do anyways, but figured I'd follow instructions anyways. Made the changes (really minor), loaded the game, works fine, saved the game, quit the game, loaded back up, loaded the save...just as it's about to go into the game...CRASH to desktop.

Basically I can't even make a couple of text edits in the config files without the game crashing let alone install any mods and have them work. Under Steam or stand-alone install.
This is not a small problem either. Browsing for a solution to this problem...TONS of other people have the same problems, and nobody (that I could find) knows an answer.

I'm going to give this game one last shot, un-modded, try and persevere despite the weapon inaccuracies, the incredibly low weight limit, the unindicated timed quests, etc. But I'm really tired of having to jump through so many hoops to enjoy a game. It shouldn't be this difficult.

25. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2008, 12:12 Hpankin

After reading the many criticisms on the GSC message board (which is suspiciously down for "maintenance"), I've canceled my Amazon preorder. Apparently, there were many crashes to desktop, some BSODs, and many many bugs (like the unmanned fixed gun bug).

It breaks my heart too because I've always said Shadow of Chernobyl was the greatest single-player PC gaming experience I'd ever had, a claim I still make.

24. Re: Difficulty Sep 9, 2008, 00:06 Prez

Agreed. It's funny how fragmented the Tribes community is. Those who played T1 hated T2 and T:V. Those who started with T2 loved it but hated T:V. And those who started with T:V don't have a clue.

I'm still waiting for the mod that ports the original Starsiege Tribes gameplay into the Tribes Vengeance engine. Honestly, I never figured out why I liked Tribes so much - I absolutely sucked ass at it.

Speaking of mods, I'll wait for modders to fix what needs fixing in Clear Sky then pick it up.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 00:06.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. No subject Sep 8, 2008, 22:46 xXBatmanXx

??? They are going to try and compete with Witcher Enhanced? good luck with that one.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. ... Sep 8, 2008, 20:31 theyarecomingforyou

Someone the other day mentioned there was a work around to the difference in Steam version to Retail version of the original STALKER.
That would have been me. I only found out because it was posted briefly on the Steam forums (until it was deleted). Basically, you need to get your CD-key from the registry; I'm using Vista64, so it's:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > GSC Game World > STALKER-SHOC > InstallCDKEY

Then you simply install with a pirated ISO, enter the key and you're good to go, apparently. I never tried it myself but common sense says it can't fail. Apparently a similar thing can be done with Clear Sky if you preorder on Steam, so there's no need to wait until the 15th.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

21. No subject Sep 8, 2008, 20:13 Karl_L

I'm loving Clear Sky, but there are 2 things that really suck.

The A.I has some new features like looking around corners and ducking behind objects, and its prone to a lot of bugs.

Mounted enemy machine guns that keep shooting at you even when there is no one manning it. And you cannot destroy them.

20. Re: Difficulty Sep 8, 2008, 19:09 Krovven

Someone the other day mentioned there was a work around to the difference in Steam version to Retail version of the original STALKER.

Can someone please post a link to the instructions for this?
I will search later tonight at home if it hasnt been posted by then.

Thinking this may help with the mods corrupting the save files when I tried to play last month.

19. Re: Difficulty Sep 8, 2008, 18:40 Asmodai

The difficulty is what I like about Stalker...

Playing the first one on hard was fricking hard even if you knew where everything was and where the sweet spot over iron sights ended up being.

The only downside of the original Stalker was from the entry in to Chernobyl where it became "crap shooter on rails".

If the "review" (I prefer to call it "bitch and moan") re: the difficulty level is accurate, I'm guessing I'll enjoy it.

ps. A guy on my ISP forums posted a pic 2 days ago of the copy of Stalker he picked up at the local EB. Apparently the "cd key" issue isn't worldwide.. = \

18. Clear Sky is just better Sep 8, 2008, 18:31 Rhialto

If you can read french, there is a new review that gives it a fair score, unlike some previews last week (all by the same group of individuals). His only grip is about grenades which are used too often and are deadly because it's hard to shoot from a good disance due to not so good preciasion of weapon and when you get closer (50 meters) then you have to deal with grenades.

http://www.nofrag.com/2008/sep/08/29479/

17. Re: Difficulty Sep 8, 2008, 18:07 Jerykk

If you look around Blues, plenty of longtime hardcore PC gamers have bought themselves a console to subsidize their PC gaming.

Traitors.

Tribes 2 SUCKED HAIRY BALLS compared to the first Tribes.

Agreed. It's funny how fragmented the Tribes community is. Those who played T1 hated T2 and T:V. Those who started with T2 loved it but hated T:V. And those who started with T:V don't have a clue.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 18:20.

16. Re: WTF does it mean? Sep 8, 2008, 17:55 Krovven

Tribes 2

Tribes 2 is your reference? Tribes 2 SUCKED HAIRY BALLS compared to the first Tribes. It was buggy as shit at launch and movement was slow as hell (when Tribes was a fast paced game). I returned it to EB 2 days after buying it on launch day (back when you could return games).

Minorities and computers don't mix, consoles are their entry into the computer arena. Don't believe me? ...where I get questions like "What is a right click?" and "Where is the Any key?" daily.

Talk about ignorant, racist and just plain damn stupid.

15. Re: Difficulty Sep 8, 2008, 17:42 osage no onna

Consoles are dumbed down for people, look at the audience and who's buying the consoles. Kids, minorities, people that never had a "computer".

I'm fairly certain you'd be a minority where I live. Does that mean I can be condescending at you? That word probably shouldn't be on your list

On topic: I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and the reviews have been a bit disheartening, but I'm still confident that I'll enjoy it. Much of it sounds like things that patches will fix, and much the rest can be modded out.

14. Re: WTF does it mean? Sep 8, 2008, 17:25 Dreagon

Minorities and computers don't mix, consoles are their entry into the computer arena. Don't believe me? Come work at some of my clients in Oakland and Hayward where I get questions like "What is a right click?" and "Where is the Any key?" daily.

Dude, lets just leave the race angle out of it. Yes, cross platform games are dumbed down due to the console crowd, but you lose that important message in a louder statement of bigotry. Lowest common denominator means exactly that, the lowest common denominator of a LOT of different ages, groups, and audiences.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 17:26.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

13. WTF does it mean? Sep 8, 2008, 17:21 Surf

@Dagok

It means that games are deliberately being dumbed down to hit the lowest common denominator. You ever think a full blown game like Tribes 2 would ever hit a console system? And don't even think about linking me to the console version, I am talking about the PC version.

Minorities and computers don't mix, consoles are their entry into the computer arena. Don't believe me? Come work at some of my clients in Oakland and Hayward where I get questions like "What is a right click?" and "Where is the Any key?" daily.

12. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 16:38 Krovven

and would also like to point out that the reviewer was obviously playing an unpatched version of the game.

So what? Games are reviewed in the state they are released in. The game was out for a couple weeks in some areas, before the patch came out.

11. Re: Difficulty Sep 8, 2008, 16:34 Krovven

Consoles are dumbed down for people, look at the audience and who's buying the consoles. Kids, minorities, people that never had a "computer".

That's quite the ignorant & uninformed generalization there. And WTF do minorities have anything to with gaming?

If you look around Blues, plenty of longtime hardcore PC gamers have bought themselves a console to subsidize their PC gaming. They aren't kids and they have always had a PC.

10. ... Sep 8, 2008, 16:32 theyarecomingforyou

While I don't mind difficulty, I do think that being forced to surrender my weapons to random bandits is pretty bad design.
That was an issue that concerned me to. It has since been patched to allow you to get them back.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo