Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Warhead PC Specs

GameSetWatch has further details on what's being called "The Warhead PC," saying this machine designed specifically for Crysis Warhead will be officially announced next week and the PC itself should be available when Crysis Warhead ships on September 16. The system is built around an Intel E7300 CPU and an NVIDIA 9800GT graphics card, and it was designed by Crytek with the goal of being able to run their upcoming shooter sequel at 30 FPS while costing no more than $700 USD. After the box was designed, it was used to benchmark the game, and they made sure to optimize any areas where performance lagged. As to why this is all going on, they quote Crysis franchise producer Bernd Diemer saying: "EA’s not getting into the hardware business, and Crytek isn’t either. The biggest thing for us is convenience. We want to make PC gaming convenient." Thanks Mike Martinez and Kotaku.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: ... Sep 9, 2008, 03:22 Jerykk

Maybe that's why I enjoyed Crysis and Assassin's Creed while most others here did not.

Even without hype, AC would have had shallow and boring platforming, stealh and combat elements, as well as extremely formulaic missions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. ... Sep 9, 2008, 00:14 theyarecomingforyou

That is to say I avoid any and all hype completely. I read previews strictly for game features and ship dates - the rest of the fluff gets ignored.
It's more self-hype though. I see trailers of games and get excited, whether it's Oblivion or Far Cry 2, Clear Sky or Crysis. I agree that previews are meaningless, so I pay them little to no attention. The trouble with a game like Crysis is that you simply can't avoid hearing about it if you have any interest in gaming - the DX10 features, the sandbox gameplay, etc, you could hardly get away from it, particularly as many of the videos looked stunning.

I'm still happy that many games live up to the hype. I was very happy with Bioshock, Oblivion and Team Fortress 2 - all were better than I expect, though far from without flaws. But when hype is combined with a game that doesn't cut it then it works seriously against it, like Doom 3 and Crysis. I have yet to see whether Spore or Clear Sky live up to expectations.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

49. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 23:55 Prez

I find that if you are not one to buy much into hype, there is much less of a letdown when the game invariably falls short of the bar set by the hype machine. That is to say I avoid any and all hype completely. I read previews strictly for game features and ship dates - the rest of the fluff gets ignored.

Knowing and understanding that 99% of previews and marketing campaigns are either (at best) exaggerated or (at worst) patently false helps you to ignore just about everything that is said by anyone about a game. I think that this helps you enjoy a game more once it ships, because you have no real expectations about the game. Maybe that's why I enjoyed Crysis and Assassin's Creed while most others here did not. I expect that I'll enjoy Spore once i get it for the same reason.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 23:05 zirik

It's amazing how out of touch the people on Blues are with gamers. Crysis scored high because people enjoyed it, plain and simple. On the PC Gamer Podcast, Chuck Osborne (the guy who reviewed it) has been on many times defending his review, with people like Norm Chan agreeing with him.

not agreeing with the opinion of others means being an outcast? many people here in bluesnews dont like crysis for a good reason. maybe you should try forming your own opinion instead of just being a blind believer of what someone says in a podcast. pc gamer has been out of touch for a long time. they give rave reviews to products while ignoring the faults. and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that they are bankrolled by advertisers whose products they review. case in point... before vede left the editorial staff of pc gamer he made a review for HPs voodoo gaming computer. giving it high marks. then a month later he reveals he had been given a job offer (which he accepted) by HP before the article went to print. dont tell me his opinion of the product was not affected by the job offer. nobody in the right mind would say anything negative to a potential employer.

47. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 20:54 Verno

Anybody who bought a 8800gtx when they came out or the following year sure wont have to upgrade soon.

The hilarious part about the 8800GTX is that it was largely viewed as a ridiculous luxury at the time. Little did people know it would turn out to be a card with some serious longevity and value. My buddy spent $600 on one awhile back and I've spent more than that on 2-3 videocards in that same time period. Granted I don't have to upgrade but I like being pretty close to the upper mid-range in terms of performance in all the top games. I should've just bought an 8800GTX.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 20:54.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

46. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 20:28 4D-Boxing

Geez won't that false idea of having to upgrade every year to play PC games ever die....Just shop smart look at plenty of reviews...go to forums & comments sections like these etc...& sell your old hardware @ the right time!

Anybody who bought a 8800gtx when they came out or the following year sure wont have to upgrade soon.

Anyways I'll wait & see if the optimization are for real...

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 20:30.

45. ... Sep 8, 2008, 20:10 theyarecomingforyou

Crysis scored high because people enjoyed it, plain and simple.
The problem is that most reviews only made casual mention to the performance issues. So the reviews were all too happy to praise the incredible graphics but failed to factor in that most people couldn't expect that and even top end systems would struggle with high. Basically Crysis couldn't lose. The fact that it scored higher than HL2:Ep2 on MetaCritic is ludicrous (even though as part of the Orange Box Ep2 scored much higher) - the performance, voice acting, level design, atmosphere and plot in Crysis were all much weaker (I wouldn't have thought much of that was up for debate, though I could be wrong).

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

44. ... Sep 8, 2008, 20:00 theyarecomingforyou

It's amazing how out of touch the people on Blues are with gamers.
I know plenty of people that don't visit Blue's that don't like Crysis; I also know people that do. However, that doesn't stop me disliking it and it doesn't stop me questioning why it got such a high score. My experience with it means I believe it isn't worth such a score, though I have no problem with people liking it... I just disagree. It's like there are people that dislike Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2 - I strongly disagree with them but I accept that it's subjective.

It seems like Blue's News is the only hellhole where no one likes a damn thing that anyone does.
You post here and like Crysis, just like Prez. I'm happy to debate why I dislike it and why I disagree with your position but do I fault you for your opinion? Of course not. Crysis was a very hyped game with many issues (gameplay and performance) and many people expected a lot more from it, myself included - many of these people are vocal about it. None of this is any particular surprise. It's like many people bash consoles and casual games constantly - I disagree with them but I don't take offence to the whole of Bluesnews because of it.

43. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 19:52 Krovven

You contradict your statements there LMN8R as prez already pointed out.

I'd just like to point out, that those reviewers would have been more than likely told to play the game on a system with certain hardware or better.

May be harder to find now, but 10 months ago there were TONS of websites with user feedback and benchmarks outlining major tech problems with the game off the shelf.

People (kids particularly) liked this game because they were wow'd by the graphics. Hell I still show Crysis to people that want to know what high end game graphics looks like these days. If you look on MetaCritic at the user reviews that give it 10/10, most of them begin referencing the awesome graphics.

I was a defender of Crysis (despite the shitty hardware scalability)...until I got to the "Cave". Games goes downhill in a hurry from there, people have the right to their opinion, but even most people that I've spoke to that loved the game agreed that the game wasnt as good from that point on.

With the hardware issues, the lame alien sperm monsters and completely uninspired gameplay from that point on, AI issues and having a suit to cheat through the game, I'd say a 6.5 to 7.5 out of 10 would be more than fair of a score for Crysis.

I mean, some of those critic reviews state "uninspired gameplay", "I encountered a number of bugs", "does not live up to expectations"...but still score the game above 80...why? Cus they were star struck by the first half of the game and the great graphics.

"its high system requirements will also keep many players from fully enjoying it and a great first half of the single player campaign gets bogged down with its more mundane and ultimately unsatisfying second half.- 88%"

Who's cock is this guy sucking to give it 88% after comments like that?

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 • Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Sep 8, 19:54.

42. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 19:32 Prez

I don't think everyone on Blues is "out of touch". I would say that we are among a more jaded gamer crowd than your average game forum crowd here on Blues though.

I loved Crysis, and I loved Far Cry. I'm cool with the fact that most 'Bluesnewsers' didn't. Like you said, everyone's opinion is equally valid.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 19:24 elefunk

It's amazing how out of touch the people on Blues are with gamers. Crysis scored high because people enjoyed it, plain and simple. On the PC Gamer Podcast, Chuck Osborne (the guy who reviewed it) has been on many times defending his review, with people like Norm Chan agreeing with him. At the same time, on the very same podcast Gary Whitta and others completely disagreed. Amazing - different people have different opinions.

Same thing goes for major gaming forums - whether you go to IGN, 1UP, NeoGAF, or somewhere else, there are people who love the game, people who hate it, and everywhere in-between.

It seems like Blue's News is the only hellhole where no one likes a damn thing that anyone does.
This comment was edited on Sep 8, 19:26.

40. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 18:31 zirik

The biggest problem is that reviews are completely useless. Crysis scored 91 on MetaCritic and virtually all of them ignored the terrible performance issues and gameplay issues

i still cant believe crysis was given game of the year title by pc gamer. but i can understand why reviews were completely useless for crysis. EA is a huge publisher with tons of advertising influence. nobody dares tell the truth (especially video game journalists) when they're faced with retaliation and being marked as an outcast by EA.

39. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 18:25 MTechnik

yeah, does it average 30fps, or is it "no less than 30fps"? Big difference.

Heh, what am I talking about? I won't bother buying it. I've found the COD series gives me much better return for my money for FPS games.

38. ... Sep 8, 2008, 18:14 theyarecomingforyou

So is it "silky smooth" as the magazine writes, or 30 FPS?
Exactly, as I don't consider 30fps to be even close to "silky smooth". I don't like it when games like TF2 drop into the 40-50fps range during intense scenes, so Crysis playing at 30-40fps and dropping considerably lower was unacceptable for me. I'm glad that Warhead has been (supposedly) heavily optimised but my biggest complaint was the pretty terrible gameplay... it just didn't have much character to it, especially compared to games like STALKER, HL2:Ep2 and Bioshock. The changes to the multiplayer are also not significant enough to make me interested, not after playing the disastrous multiplayer beta.

The biggest problem is that reviews are completely useless. Crysis scored 91 on MetaCritic and virtually all of them ignored the terrible performance issues and gameplay issues. I wonder if they'll be providing a demo to gauge the performance improvements... though I doubt it consider how much shorter this game is meant to be.

37. No subject Sep 8, 2008, 16:51 Zarkov

So is it "silky smooth" as the magazine writes, or 30 FPS?

36. Re: I saw this PC at PAX Sep 8, 2008, 16:42 Krovven

The machine they did say (back in January 2008) would run Crysis on all High settings was a $900 system with an 8800GT.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18017

I will note that I recall there being another Cevat Yerli story with him stating a $600+ system that would run on High settings. This was in the Spring or early Summer. Lots of references to it when searching, but can't find the original story/quote, as most searches of that nature all reference Warhead.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 16:52.

35. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 16:34 zirik

Please show me, anywhere in the last 30 years, where a PC lasted 3-5 years and still be considered viable for cutting-edge gaming?

please show us a console game that can compete graphically with a pc that is equiped with an 8800gt. while current generation consoles are stuck with a 3 year old hardware technology, pc hardware especially graphics cards has refreshed at least 4 times in the same period.

34. Re: I saw this PC at PAX Sep 8, 2008, 16:30 Creston

Sorry, but no. They said their 600 dollar PC could run Crysis "silky smooth" (ie 30fps) on "High Detail".

No, it does not. I have the freaking issue of the magazine. They never specifically said high detail or any detail levels anywhere.

Okay, I checked, they did not say High. They say ALL bells and whistles turned on.

From the issue of PC Gamer :

Quote : To prove that you won't need a $10,000 ultra high-end gaming rig to enjoy Crysis Warhead's enhanced visuel effects, Crytek built its own machine capable of running the game silky smooth, WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES TURNED ON. The cost? A measly $653 (priced through newegg.com). Here's what you'll need to build on your own.

blablablalba
MSI Geforce 8600GT 512MB Videocard.

Now, if you choose to somehow believe that "All bells and whistles turned on" means 'medium spec' that's your problem. To everyone else it means maximum detail. Which means high settings on XP or very high on Vista.
(and it's funny, I just now noticed that they built that PC with Vista, so that means the DX10 version? On an 8600? Heh.)

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 16:30.

33. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 15:59 Krovven

where a PC lasted 3-5 years and still be considered viable for cutting-edge gaming?

With that said, consoles after the first 2 or 3 years can't be considered "cutting edge gaming" either. You just dont have the option of upgrading unless a new system is out.

If you buy a high end PC today, expecting 3 years of high end gaming is not unreasonable, as long as you are not a resolution whore. 1920x1080 (or even higher)...really isn't necessary. But 1360x720 or 1280x800 would be just fine.

32. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 15:44 Verno

I promise you in 18 months the next greatest thing will be out, either probably from ID or Epic knowing them, where you'll have to upgrade again to be playable or to avoid looking like last year's B list of games. It's what drove me out of PC gaming.

A GeForce 8800GTX is still a top of the line videocard and runs just about every game out into the ground. That's what, 2-3 years old now?

Things are changing in the hardware side of the industry precisely because people started moving to consoles, like you. So thanks for getting them to start fixing things

As a network admin, in the real world, managing dozens if not hundreds of computers, I'm going to say this once.

A network admin in the real world would know if he managed "dozens" or "hundreds" instead of being so vague. Setting up ICS for your sister doesn't make you a "network admin". Incidentally, you're using the wrong term for someone would maintain the computer hardware on a network - you would be an IT administrator and work in the IT department at any company worth mentioning. Network personnel work with the actual network hardware nowadays.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 15:54.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo