Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online Beta Opens

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Website has news that the beta test for Mythic's imminent MMORPG is now open to all applicants in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore. According to the Warhammer Online Beta Page they have received nearly 900,000 applications so far, and word is: "The Open Beta will be level capped and content restricted. You will be allowed to choose any of the game's 20 unique careers and advance through rank 20. You will also be free to explore and battle across Tiers 1 and 2 of each army's homeland. Please note that any characters created during the Open Beta will NOT carry over into the live game as they will be wiped from the servers." Thanks Massively. Update: Though it says "open beta," this is currently still only available for closed beta participants and preorder customers at this time. Also, The European Warhammer Online Website has word that registration for European applicants is temporarily unavailable due to server maintenance. Thanks Ant.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: THIS IS NOT AN OPEN BETA Sep 12, 2008, 21:28 Yifes

And yet Mythic lies again. You must have pre-ordered the game or be a Fileplanet subscriber in order to get a beta key and the client. So, no, it's not an open beta.

Mythic has always stated that Open beta means that the NDA would be dropped, not that everyone can play for free.

Your wild accusations make you sound like a moron.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. No Credit Card? I'm Impressed! Sep 8, 2008, 21:18 Paranoid Jack

Ant, I forgot about that. If you have no credit card you are stuck purchasing at the very least a game-card for a month to get the subscription going? Or do they not require credit cards anymore?

I thought they had moved away from the credit card is necessary business model. But maybe I'm thinking of that browser based MMO I tried recently...

Either way. If you wait and there's not a constantly growing subscriber base they will eventually give out seven or ten day trails. Which isn't enough time to try everything but enough time to decide if you like the game enough to buy a copy and a game-card.

I've logged dozens of hours already. Lost track. So I know I like it enough to at least buy it and most likely play it for three months or so.

Takes a lot longer to level. Unlike AoC where you can level three times within a few hours if you know how to work it.

I made it to level 21 or 22 before a wipe a month or so back. I'd guess it took me about two weeks but I wasn't taking days off work and only stayed up late a few nights. Not to mention the servers were constantly going up and down while they worked on them.

Damn, I'm envious! Wish I could say I had no credit cards or at least the debt that usually goes with them. Never thought about the subscription issues that it would cause though.

One good thing for us Closed Beta testers... bad thing for the general public. If they went totally Open Beta it would be pandemonium. It's bad enough now with more than a hundred thousand people trying to get their game on.

I sure hope they learn from it. Blizzard didn't. It was hell the first two months or more after release. This time I am going to pick the worst name server and hope it fills up last or never...

63. THIS IS NOT AN OPEN BETA Sep 8, 2008, 16:12 Cutter

And yet Mythic lies again. You must have pre-ordered the game or be a Fileplanet subscriber in order to get a beta key and the client. So, no, it's not an open beta. Basically anyone that has keys and is giving them away is charging for them. That's not an open beta.

I was going to try this game, but too bad for Mythic, you fucked up. Way to make a WoW killer when you don't even let people try your game, assholes, lol!

Anyway, I just got into the Wrath beta and it's sweet.

"I couldn't stay away. Curse your rockin' tits!"
- Gerald Broflovski

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

62. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 08:33 Shineyguy

Who says you have to be subscribing in that time that you wait 3 months.

Or even in the first place, why would you buy it release day to play it 3 months later, wouldn't it be better to WAIT to buy it if you're not going to play it right away?

I don't know, maybe I'm talking out my ass....

61. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 04:25 Krovven

You'll just get burned every time unless you give the requisite 3 months. Yeah it sucks, but that's just how it is.

$50 for the game, 3 months subscription $45. You just paid almost $100 to be a beta tester. Vote with your wallet.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 • Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

60. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 04:15 NKD

Uninstalled. Interest lost. Someone wake me when an MMO has a smooth launch and has a good non-buggy game.

Stop playing them at launch maybe? You'll just get burned every time unless you give the requisite 3 months. Yeah it sucks, but that's just how it is.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

59. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 04:10 Krovven

WAR hasn't actually launched yet. So maybe reserving judgment until it actually does launch may be prudent.

Miss the point much? If they havent got their shit together by now, they aren't going to for launch in a week. You dont fix this kind of thing in a week. Every MMO has proved that.

58. Re: Great Even Though They Are Hammered Sep 8, 2008, 03:23 Ant

Paranoid Jack: But then we will have to buy the full game and give our credit card (which I don't have).  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

57. No subject Sep 8, 2008, 03:14 Pumas

You know Dagok....WAR hasn't actually launched yet. So maybe reserving judgment until it actually does launch may be prudent.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

56. Great Even Though They Are Hammered Sep 8, 2008, 02:43 Paranoid Jack

If you want to avoid the hassle just wait a month. No more issues with everyone trying to get in at the same time. And those with very short attention spans will have gone back to whatever they prefer.

I've tested 2/3 of the classes to at least level six and yes they all play fairly different. I'm enjoying it even though this Semi Open Beta is stressing the servers to the max. I've had ten times more CTD and server connection issues than the Closed Beta.

And if you're waiting for a highly anticipated MMO to have a smooth launch you'll be waiting a long long time. This game is great. I expect the first month or two to be a very bumpy start. Servers are not cheap they won't buy more than they think they'll need so the guess work is going to cause us all head-aches come launch.

55. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 01:09 Brubold

@NiteX

Buggier than AoC beta? Not even close. Spent plenty of time in both and WAR isn't nearly as bad. Also they seem to have just about completely stopped the CTD issue as I played with a full warband in RvR earlier today for a few hours. Not one person had a CTD.

Hard to get in a server? Granted when the queue first popped up for me it would give some insane timer to get in but after the first few seconds it would drop down to <1 minute. I've been playing on of the most populated servers too (Crag Mere or however it's spelled).

54. Re: 9/8/2008 3 AM CET from GOA's CEO--Europe Sep 8, 2008, 00:50 Pigeon

Someone wake me when an MMO has a smooth launch and has a good non-buggy game.

Have a nice long nap there Rip Van Winkle

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 00:50.

53. Re: 9/8/2008 3 AM CET from GOA's CEO--Europe Sep 8, 2008, 00:30 Krovven

Just walked in the door, went over the WAR Europe website to see what Ant had posted below.

I'm sorry, but are they truly this fucking surprised?

So less than a week ago they took down the authentication servers to implement a new system. This new system only just came online today, the same day that the Open Beta was to begin. Closed beta was apparently having trouble handling the load.

Have these people learned absolutely NOTHING from all of the fucked up MMO launches over the last 6 or so years?

Uninstalled. Interest lost. Someone wake me when an MMO has a smooth launch and has a good non-buggy game.

52. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 00:23 Kamakazie

Anyone in beta or the preview weekend knows all 20 of their 'unique careers' boils down to the same boring Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Tank or Healer archetypes with little difference

Did you even play with any of the classes? I'm actually very impressed with how no class mirrors another one.

51. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2008, 00:06 Talisorn

Anyone in beta or the preview weekend knows all 20 of their 'unique careers' boils down to the same boring Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Tank or Healer archetypes with little difference.
I suppose if you REALLY want to boil it down, it's all really just one class. One that kills things. No difference ...

/sarcasm off

Fion. Are you playing the same game I am? Sure the basic roles are the same, but even within those roles, they all play completely differently.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 00:08.

50. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2008, 23:18 Yifes

Anyone in beta or the preview weekend knows all 20 of their 'unique careers' boils down to the same boring Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, Tank or Healer archetypes with little difference.

To be fair, each of the classes within the same archetype plays quite differently. Some examples:

Melee DPS: Witch hunter and White lion(pet class) are both melee dps but they're nothing alike.

Ranged DPS: Bright wizard (pure glass cannon dps) is quite different than shadow warrior (skirmish, shorter range kiter), and is much different from the engineer (area control, defensive turrets)

The tanks are also quite different, with unique mechanics such as the Chosen's aura twisting or the ironbreaker's defensive oath friend abilities. Considering that the PVP tank is itself a unique concept in MMOs, this archetype alone gives WAR more class variety than other MMOs.

The most variety is in the healers. From melee dps oriented with some healing on the side, to ranged dps/healer hybrid, to the more traditional group buffer/main healer.

There is quite a bit of variety, but at the lower levels, without all of the skills, the classes can be a bit similar. It seems like your complaint stems from your lack of experience, particularly with higher leveled characters.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 23:30.

49. Re: 2 cents Sep 7, 2008, 23:09 Tumbler

Well, I played it for about 5 hours today and enjoyed it. Pretty much what I was looking for. A more PvP oriented WoW-like MMO. There were a lot of design desicions that I think are great - very little down-time and grinding.

This was basically my experience as well, played for an hour or 2. I got to level 4. I liked the "scenario's" which are basically pvp battles you can join which are fairly fun. You are teleported to some other area, where a team of other playres face off against your team which is mostly just a group of whoever else is on the list to play.

It's convenient to play in the battles as well, you just press the scenario button, (next to the mini map) and select the scenario you want to play, it puts you in a que and you get to keep playing as usual and the game lets you know when your scenario is starting. (about 5 min) If you got yourself into a quest you can opt out and wait for the next match or just abort all together. It's a great balance in my opinion, I'm looking forward to playing some more.

I wouldn't say I'm impressed with the game yet, but I'm not disappointed. Not one bit. I really like the idea of pvp right from the beginning.

The quests in the beginning were nothing special, go here, kill that, or go here, double click that. Hopefully there will be better missions going forward. The graphics seem acceptable, the beginning area is pretty ugly, but the town of thornton (or something) seemed a lot better. I found something called a public quest you could go on which I assume is an easy way for players to group and go on larger harder missions. I will have to try that later.

The one complaint I have is the lack of waypoints on the minimap or arrows telling you where to go. The missions I've gotten so far mention where to go but there aren't any arrows telling you how to get there or dots on the map to let you know something you need is nearby.

It may be intentional to make the experience a bit less simplistic but I don't think it's a good fit. I liked how conan did it, you'd have an arrow and a large bubble that your goals would be within, didn't tell you exactly where everything was, but it let you know you were in the right place.

I can live with that if that is the only thing I have issue with in the game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

48. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2008, 21:55 xXBatmanXx

How many of the classes did you guys play in the beta? I mean that's one of the things I keep hearing from people who have extensively played the game is that the classes actually don't mirror each other perfectly. So ya they are fairly unique because the play styles are different. For example, compare a Black Orc to a Chaos Chosen. Yes they are certain tanking abilities that are similar (i.e. Hold The Line, Guard, etc) but their play styles and tactics vary due to their racial and class abilities (i.e. Chosen Auras).

They are taking the number of armies x number of classes x number of factions.

SO divide by 2 and that is actually what there is.....which, actually, there are only 4.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. 9/8/2008 3 AM CET from GOA's CEO--Europe Sep 7, 2008, 21:41 Ant

http://www.war-europe.com/#/news/?id_news=en113&lang=en

Dear all,

I rarely address players directly, but I wanted to write you as too few of you have been able to access the open beta today.

As my team explained in the previous post, although we have opened the servers and corrected numerous issues during the last 24 hours but we have not yet solved the issue of saturated Open Beta key activations that we’re currently experiencing. I am sincerely sorry for this, and I understand all the frustration the situation has spawned.

Today was a dark day. We expected a massive influx of players, but reality was even harsher.
I personally commit that we will communicate to you as clearly as possible on the resolution of these current issues. My goal is to give Warhammer Online the success it deserves. Be ensured that all GOA teams, with Mythic’s support, are working hard to bring you the best possible game experience.

Best regards,
Ghislaine Le Rhun
GOA CEO

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 21:42.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

46. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2008, 21:41 Gentle Nova

Anyone in beta or the preview weekend knows all 20 of their 'unique careers' boils down to the same boring

How many of the classes did you guys play in the beta? I mean that's one of the things I keep hearing from people who have extensively played the game is that the classes actually don't mirror each other perfectly. So ya they are fairly unique because the play styles are different. For example, compare a Black Orc to a Chaos Chosen. Yes they are certain tanking abilities that are similar (i.e. Hold The Line, Guard, etc) but their play styles and tactics vary due to their racial and class abilities (i.e. Chosen Auras).

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo