Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

X-COM Series on Steam

Steam announces the return of X-COM: Terror from the Deep to the online delivery service, as well as the addition of four other titles from the highly regarded UFO strategy series, X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Enforcer, X-COM: Interceptor, and X-COM: UFO Defense. The games are available separately for $4.99 USD each, or as part of their X-COM collection for $14.99 USD. During this first week of availability, they are offering an additional 10% off those prices.

View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

117. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 17:11 Krovven

That's simply not true.

Fine argue with me. I don't know the circumstances of your disputes, nor have you shared them. But there are plenty of other accounts of this taking place, and they even warn that it could be a reason for a Steam Account being disabled

From the Steam Support website...

#Payment Fraud

Any fraudulent credit card use, credit card chargebacks, or Paypal chargebacks (regardless of when the transaction occurred).

I wouldnt doubt that they will listen if you present your case and have VERY good reasons for wanting a refund, they may listen...BEFORE you reverse the charge on the CC. But they also state on their website that they do not issue refunds except for cases where it was before the product was released.

So go right ahead, dispute away. You'd be far better off doing your homework BEFORE you buy the product, than trying to deal with it afterwards and run the risk of losing your account altogether.

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

116. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 16:40 Agent.X7

You get the dough back. It's so simple.
...and you get your Steam account disabled and you lose everything you had previously purchased on Steam. Buyer beware. If you arent prepared to take the risk, dont buy it.

That's simply not true. I've disputed several games with Steam, and I still have my original account with all the games on it. I've also done it to Target (enough that the manager knows me and WILL take back games now) and Walmart. I'm sorry, but you have a responsibility to ensure the products you sell work as advertised, or you have to give at least an exchange.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

115. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 12:14 Beamer

Yifes - I think it holds up.

Old cartoons don't, in part because every aspect of them has been outdone by modern shows that demonstrate how crude and idiotic those cartoons were.

Only one game has done X-COM style gaming and bested it - JA2, and even that was very different, as soldiers were characters and not commodities.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

114. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 03:59 Yifes

So yeah anyways, back to X-Com, just a tip for any beginners to the series - don't get attached to your men. They are entirely disposable and you should expect them to die quite often and replace them. Once you accept this you will enjoy the game much more. Oh and Enforcer is terrible, just don't even load it up.

Ahhh I used to name all of my soldiers and save and reload like a madman whenever one of them died. It was always start to finish with the same squad for me... I guess I'm too used to the Jagged Alliance series and their excellent cast of unique characters.

I do intend to play the game without reloading one of these days... Although I am afraid of ruining my memories of the game. Watching Transformers when you're young and watching the same cartoons when you're in your 20s is just not the same... wish I just left those childhood memories alone...

113. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 03:25 Krovven

You get the dough back. It's so simple.

...and you get your Steam account disabled and you lose everything you had previously purchased on Steam. Buyer beware. If you arent prepared to take the risk, dont buy it.

112. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 01:05 Agent.X7

So if someone buys these, and for whatever reason just can not get them to run, he's screwed, right?
Yup, I bought that Alien Shooter game, I cant get it to run at all. Steam couldn't help, The developers couldn't help.
They wont refund it, $10 down the drain.

The other thing about steam that pisses me off, if you already own a game and then buy a package that contains that game, You don't get given a second license to give away as a gift as you do with orange box.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Always buy games with a credit card. If it doesn't work, simply attempt to return it. When the vendor refuses, dispute the charge with your credit card company. You get the dough back. It's so simple.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

111. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 21:40 Beamer

I still maintain that TFTD is worthless. Too ridiculous. Again, hunting for the last alien drives me insane. It can be bad enough in X-COM at times, but TFTD takes it to a new level. You can spend an hour playing and end up with only 15 minutes of real gaming - the other 45 are trying to find the shipping container an alien is hiding in.

UFO Defense has everything good that's in TFTD and absolutely none of the bad.

And, personally, I recommend getting attached to the little guys. Maybe wait a few missions before you bother naming them, but when you get a standout it's worth getting attached and then protecting him. Surround him with a few grunts and let them get picked off while he gets the kills and the new stats.

Well, until the psi attacks. Then cry when your commandos turn out to be mental idiots and you're forced to put them down. I occasionally cheat now and raise their psi stats. Sometimes, not always.

I've changed my play style a lot from when I was 14 (I'm 28 now, so that would make sense.) I used to name everyone. I used to revive some (but not all) of them (although I never altered stats other than psi stats.) I used to still go through dozens of soldiers, though. I'd set up two main bases (I rarely have the patience for more than one now) and a third which just bought soldiers and sold any that didn't have very good marksmanship and APs off the bat.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

110. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:50 Slaughter

So to someone who's purchased the game, what are you thoughts?
We're back to discussing the games? Lovely! Personally I have never bothered testing Enforcer and Interceptor. Hear Interceptor is worth giving a try though.

As for the others, I see it this way:
- X-COM: UFO Defense is one of THE greatest games ever made. They've managed to mix global scale strategy with small scale tactical battles in a way never done so well since. This one alone is worth the price of all five games in my opinion.
- X-COM: Terror From The Deep was the first game in the series I ever played. It's harder than UFO, but has a great atmosphere IMO. I played the demo years ago, and starting that tactical battle under water with the great scenery (for that time), fitting music and excellent turn-based tactics was instant love. The terror missions are maybe a bit too hard compared to all other missions (when you complete the first part, that is hard, you get to the second that is just as hard), and it is easy to bring "water only weapons" to land based missions, but not too much trouble. Besides those, I think it's just as good as UFO.
- Apocalypse takes some time to get into, and you may never like it. If you take your time with it however, you'll come to enjoy it I think.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think those three games are well worth the price of the 5 games.

Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)

109. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:49 Krovven

DUDE! You can get Witcher for under $30.00 now. Enhancement is free.

I'm waiting for it to hit Steam I dont mind paying full price for that game.

108. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:42 xXBatmanXx

lol. I was thinking about it myself...but was never a fan.

Already gonna drop $60 next week on NHL 09, another $50 for Far Cry 2 pre-order, another $50 for Witcher Enhanced sometime in Sept., still want to pick up Soul Calibur 4...and then even more games at the end of Sept and in Oct.

Think I'll hold off for awhile.

meh - 2-3 of those games alone is 35+. I got it. I never finished Return to Castle Wolfenstein anyway. I have probably 80%+ of those on CD that are either lost, in a box in the attic, or scratched to beat hell. So big whoop. It would take me more than 35.00 worth of time and effort to get it all together.

Drop me a note on NHL - I may get it. Going to try the demo tonight, maybe we can do a co-op league? (ah shit - nm - diff systems. DAMNIT!)

DUDE! You can get Witcher for under $30.00 now. Enhancement is free. Gogamer (didn't look) probably still has the AO version.

YUP: http://www.gogamer.com/searchresults.htm?keywords=witcher&categoryId=&x=0&y=0

//10th edit: HOLY SHIT THAT IS RELEASED NEXT WEEK? THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.
This comment was edited on Sep 5, 19:46.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

107. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:39 Krovven

lol. I was thinking about it myself...but was never a fan.

Already gonna drop $60 next week on NHL 09, another $50 for Far Cry 2 pre-order, another $50 for Witcher Enhanced sometime in Sept., still want to pick up Soul Calibur 4...and then even more games at the end of Sept and in Oct.

Think I'll hold off for awhile.

$35.99 is a great deal. Hell I thought it was worth it, and bought it at double the price.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 19:47.

106. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:32 xXBatmanXx

it comes out to like $13.54 for all 4 titles and at least 3 of them are worth a play.

5 titles. But who is counting?

mmmm pixely.

DAMN YOU STEAM! Fell for it.

Tempted to get the id super pack just to haev it all in one spot....34.99?

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.
This comment was edited on Sep 5, 19:35.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

105. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:16 Verno

Doh, I knew I forgot something

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

104. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:14 Krovven

it comes out to like $13.54 for all 4 titles and at least 3 of them are worth a play.

5 titles. But who is counting?

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 19:14.

103. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:05 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 5, 19:20.

================================================
"Whattadya wanna hear, that I'm your bitch? Fine. You came in
here, took it to me, and now I'm your bitch. Happy now?" - Creston

102. Re: Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:04 Verno

Buying the game individually is about twice as expensive and the only real dud in the pack is "Enforcer" which doesn't really deserve the X-Com name. It's basically parts thrown together from a scrapped game. Apocalypse is actually pretty decent once you get over the whole "same city" aspect and some of the more annoying bugs like the terrain affecting vehicles. Someone can shoot your vehicle, miss but your vehicle will still explode if their shot hit the terrain underneath you. It sounds like a feature but it really sucks, trust me.

Anyways it's a great value pack, it comes out to like $13.54 for all 4 titles and at least 3 of them are worth a play.

101. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 19:03 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *

100. Xcom Sep 5, 2008, 19:00 Tumbler

So...I know this is off topic but has anyone who purchased this game on steam found it to be a bad value? I'm probably only interested in playing Xcom and Xcom terror from the deep and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for which one, or ones to buy? I figure if I'm already spending $10 why not drop the other $4 and get the other 3 games offered?

So to someone who's purchased the game, what are you thoughts?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

99. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 18:53 Verno

You can't fool me, I know somewhere inside that plump, sweaty exterior lies a good heart.

98. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2008, 18:51 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo