Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Interview

Fallout 3 Interview on VideoGamer.com is a sit-down with Pete Hines at the Liepzig show to discuss Fallout 3, Bethesda Softworks' upcoming RPG sequel. They discuss living up to the original games, acknowledging the challenge of living up to the expectations of the series' vocal fanbase, the karma system, more on V.A.T.S., loot, the possibility of expansions, and more.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 4, 2008, 03:33 Wowbagger_TIP

I do agree with the NMA'ers in one respect: If you're gonna make a totally different game set in the FO universe, fine, but don't slap the FO3 label on it. 99% of the people who're gonna eat this one up won't have played FO1 or 2 anyway.
I remember trying that argument with FASA Interactive when they were busy butchering Shadowrun. Didn't work.

I wish I would have avoided the videos - now I am hardly excited about this game.....what was shown doesn't live up to what I had believed it was going to be.....
At least watching the videos didn't cost you sixty bucks

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 03:34.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 17:18 xXBatmanXx

I wish I would have avoided the videos - now I am hardly excited about this game.....what was shown doesn't live up to what I had believed it was going to be.....

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 15:55 Ecthelion

To be fair, combat wasn't completely avoidable in the original Fallout games unless you knew exactly what you were doing. It's not like you could talk your way out of random hostile encounters.
True, and I would not complain about random hostile encounters that had to be fought through. Furthermore, it's very rare for a RPG to let you play through without killing anyone. I'm not a die-hard Fallout fan, but I recognize the value of avoidable combat in a RPG. I wouldn't necessarily avoid combat myself, but I would like to have that option. In my opinion, this would be a way for Fallout 3 to stand out from the crowd of FPS-with-RPG-element games and give gamers more replay value (among other things). I don't really care about Fallout 3 having avoidable combat because the earlier games did it, but more because it's a good feature in and of itself.

Hines' comment seemed to encompass more than just random encounters, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. The statement is enough to make me question what he meant though.

5. Step One Sep 3, 2008, 15:44 Kxmode

They discuss living up to the original games

They haven't. Now that that's out of the way we can proceed forward...

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

4. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 15:38 Jerykk

I like the fact that combat is avoidable, but I'm not sure what to make of his comment that if you don't want to fight "you can have other people handle battles for you" - does this mean that battle is unavoidable, but you can hide while your minions fight for you?

To be fair, combat wasn't completely avoidable in the original Fallout games unless you knew exactly what you were doing. It's not like you could talk your way out of random hostile encounters.

3. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 15:25 Paranoid Jack

I'm pretty sure the other talking head (PR guy who I can't remember at this moment) stated early on in the PR blitz that avoiding combat was not an option.

I'll admit the last group of videos actually gave me a slight rise in interest from none to just curiosity. That's were I sit now just kind of curious to see how good or bad the game will actually turn out.

2. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 14:41 peteham

Yeah. the whole "blowing someone's leg off is hilarious! LolOlOlOL!!11"-routine is getting extremely tiresome at this point.

I don't know about this one.. I try to be more open-minded than some of the jaded loons over at NMA, but I'm beginning to fear their pessimism is fully justified. The more I read about this game, the less excited I get. VATS sounds like sh*t - pardon my French. From the looks of things, it's nothing but bullet-time with a twist. And PH stating that the game actually gets MORE tactical if you don't use it? Talk about ruined..

I do agree with the NMA'ers in one respect: If you're gonna make a totally different game set in the FO universe, fine, but don't slap the FO3 label on it. 99% of the people who're gonna eat this one up won't have played FO1 or 2 anyway.
This comment was edited on Sep 3, 14:43.

1. Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 13:52 Ecthelion

I found the part about unavoidable combat much more enlightening than the rest of the interview (which mostly consisted of "this is so fucking cool!111!!!"). I like the fact that combat is avoidable, but I'm not sure what to make of his comment that if you don't want to fight "you can have other people handle battles for you" - does this mean that battle is unavoidable, but you can hide while your minions fight for you? If so, it's misleading to say it's possible to play as a pacifist. Technically you'd be avoiding combat yourself, but a pacifist couldn't very well endorse combat by allies either.

However, I remain cautiously optimistic that combat really is avoidable. At the very least, this interview doesn't prove that it isn't, and suggests that it is. Since it appears that meaningful choices are fairly limited (apart from the Megaton quests) and the game seems to be aimed at combat-oriented characters, avoidable combat would be a nice inclusion for us RPG fans.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 13:54.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo