Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Good Old Games Beta Next Week

GOG.com, the home of Good Old Games, announces plans to launch beta testing of the service on Monday September 8, saying that anyone who signs up between now and September 7 will gain access to the test. Good Old Games will offer older games with full XP and Vista compatibility and no DRM, and here's word on how the test will work: "The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.comís Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you havenít signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action."

View
13. Re: Important question: Sep 3, 2008, 17:06 Shadowcat

So, which Interplay game to get?
Anyone without "Giants: Citizen Kabuto" needs to rectify the matter asap.

I see a bunch of games on top picture but is that really all?! I was looking forward to Tie Fighter (best game ever!!!!) and the X-com series, the original mind you. Any word if thoose games will be there?
Based on their stated aims, I can pretty much guarantee that GOG would love to offer those games, but they can only sell what they have the rights to sell.

Frankly I'd be (very pleasantly) surprised if either of those titles were available through GOG, at least on launch.

But here's the thing... The way I see it, if GOG is successful, it can only grow, and over time more and more of the games we loved will be licensed to them to sell. If GOG dies, this can't happen.

I hope that they surprise the hell out of me with their initial offerings, but I'm also looking to the future and thinking about the sort of catalogue they might have in time, if gamers support them now, so I know I'm going to do some shopping there regardless.

I would suggest that everyone do likewise, if you also feel strongly that a site selling games unencumbered by DRM of any kind is a hugely important step forward. Let's not let this fail.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 3, 11:36 No subject nin
  2. Sep 3, 11:49  Re: No subject xXBatmanXx
  3. Sep 3, 11:52   Re: No subject nin
  4. Sep 3, 12:18    Re: No subject xXBatmanXx
  5. Sep 3, 13:08     Re: No subject Fion
  6. Sep 3, 13:29 No subject Ecthelion
  7. Sep 3, 13:59 Important question: [THA] Hamst3r
  9. Sep 3, 14:05  Re: Important question: nin
  10. Sep 3, 15:43   Re: Important question: [THA] Hamst3r
  11. Sep 3, 15:58    Re: Important question: nin