Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Buffy MMOG Revealed, Firefly MMOG Delayed

A pair of related reports come out of the Virtual Worlds Expo that's just getting underway today: Gamer's Daily News reports plans for an MMOG based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, though this will be part of "Multiverse Places," a new social virtual world on The Multiverse Network, and the Buffy game carries the unusual description of being "a fully immersive 3D environment or as a Flash-based 2D game, where both types of players can interact." There is related bad news for Joss Whedon fans, as they also report that the focus on this project has taken some momentum from Multiverse's plans for a Firefly MMOG. They say that Whedon and Fox feel the Buffy property has more potential, and is getting more attention at this time, and it is not clear what sort of timeframe they are now projecting for the Firefly game.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: I can see a Buffy MMO... Sep 4, 2008, 04:49 Kxmode

The MMO industry is almost turning into an MMO itself. Big on graphics (money), light on game play (ROI), and hyped as the newest game for investors to play.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: I can see a Buffy MMO... Sep 3, 2008, 23:37 Cutter

Retards. I swear I can't wait for ALL of them to go out of business so that the signal to noise ratio is reduced even more.

Pot? The kettle is calling.

"I couldn't stay away. Curse your rockin' tits!"
- Gerald Broflovski

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: I can see a Buffy MMO... Sep 3, 2008, 21:03 CreamyBlood

I don't know why their dead. As I just mentioned in another thread, both Freespace 2 and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident were a lot of fun for me.

16. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 19:41 Sleep

Jumpgate will save the Firefly mmpog. Once that is shown to be a success, everyone will want a piece of that action and Firefly has great buy in from its fans.

15. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 19:33 Xero

This will be FREE right?

Currently playing: Skyrim

14. Re: I can see a Buffy MMO... Sep 3, 2008, 17:20  dsmart 

You guys don't get it. The Firefly MMO is dead. Why? Because the space combat genre is dead. At least according to publishers.

Plus why bother with all the high end tech stuff required for something like Firefly when you can just regurgitate the same old rubbish in the form of a Bubby MMO?

Retards. I swear I can't wait for ALL of them to go out of business so that the signal to noise ratio is reduced even more.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 17:21.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

13. Re: I can see a Buffy MMO... Sep 3, 2008, 15:38 Wowbagger_TIP

What I don't see how they could make it interesting without trampling all over White Wolf's IP.
Wouldn't be too hard really. The worlds are different, and most of the vamp lore precedes White Wolf, so they don't really have a monopoly on it. Buffyverse deals with a lot more than just vamps and werewolves. In fact, those are almost minor players most of the time.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: yeah Sep 3, 2008, 12:58 NKD

What I don't see how they could make it interesting without trampling all over White Wolf's IP.

Speaking of that, why is there not a real Vampire MMO in the works? I bet it would be insanely popular if done right. Nowhere near WoW levels, but I bet it could hold down 200-300k subs.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: yeah Sep 3, 2008, 12:48 Prez

Firefly was an awesome series - the best I've seen in the last 10 years. Had FOX execs not killed it in the crib through a long series of disastrous decisions, it might have had a chance at being as popular as it deserved to be.

A Firefly MMOG sounds ridiculous - how can you simulate the brilliant and witty dialog between amazingly deep characters that personified the show in a massively multiplayer environment?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: yeah Sep 3, 2008, 12:29 The Half Elf

They killed Wash, no more Firefly for me

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: yeah Sep 3, 2008, 11:40 NKD

Dont think what these people want to make qualifies as an "MMO".

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. yeah Sep 3, 2008, 11:26 Wowbagger_TIP

At this point there's not ever going to be another attempt to do Firefly as a TV show again. At least not with the same actors and storyline. They've all moved on, and Joss has several other projects going which would make it impossible for him to do it anyway. I'm hoping that his next show (Dollhouse) will fare better than Firefly. Games and comics are probably the only places we'll see any more being done with these titles.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 11:06 BubbleMage

i'd hate for them to mow down a great show by creating a crappy game

No worries; the crappy movie already did a bang-up job of destroying the mystique of the series. An MMO can't possibly do any worse.

6. I can see a Buffy MMO... Sep 3, 2008, 10:51 Umbragen

What I don't see how they could make it interesting without trampling all over White Wolf's IP. That's assuming they WANT to make it interesting to people outside the Buffy-fan clique, ya know, like gamers.

A Firefly MMO, though, practically writes itself. But I don't know if they could get enough subs to even maintain the servers - judging from past Firefly performances anyway. Mighty risky.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 10:55.

5. Re: ... Sep 3, 2008, 10:18 Grounded

Keep delaying that Firefly MMO please. No one wants to play it anyway

4. ... Sep 3, 2008, 10:05 theyarecomingforyou

Firefly is definitely a better idea than Buffy. I'd love to see a return of the series or at least another film - I can't believe it's so under appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 09:55 osage no onna

They say that Whedon and Fox feel the Buffy property has more potential

Yeah, ten years ago. I'd be very surprised to learn that there are many people who still care about that old show - beyond simple nostalgia - whereas Firefly actually has some pretty dedicated fans.

2. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 09:25 InBlack

Well Fuck me, Buffy the Vampire Slayer MMO!!!! Jesus H. Christ.

Someone needs to hit the reset button.....

I have a nifty blue line!

1. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 09:20 strich

it's good to see that the fandom of firefly won't die as it was such a great show, but i'd hate for them to mow down a great show by creating a crappy game just to keep it going. wheedon just needs to put aside his issues and take the show to another network like scifi where it'll be quickly accepted and encouraged.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo