Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spore Sales Prediction

Spore expected to sell 2 million in US in September quotes sales projections by Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets. Among the specific things he's seen in his crystal ball are US sales of 2 million copies of Spore in September and around 650K sign-ups this month for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Predication? Sep 4, 2008, 02:54 The Half Elf

Bitch I'll have you know I DO NOT HAVE A HAND BAG!

Sides if anything I'd have a Generation 1 Transformers Backpack... and matching shoes with... velcro...

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Predication? Sep 3, 2008, 23:39 Cutter

Well Cutter if you'd quit hanging out with the guys with Hello Kitty handbags maybe you'd have a different look on life?

Takes one to know one.

"I couldn't stay away. Curse your rockin' tits!"
- Gerald Broflovski

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Predication? Sep 3, 2008, 23:00 Jerykk

College students, sim freaks, micro-management types, creative types, creative types with dirty minds to name a few.

College students are too busy playing Halo or Counter-Strike to bother with Spore.

Micromanagement types would be much more interested in an actual strategy game.

Creative types already have everything they need in the Creature Creator. They don't care about the actual gameplay.

The Sims was a simulation (I use the term loosely) of relationships and domestic life. This gave it an inherent appeal to young girls and others who enjoy such trifling matters. As a game, Spore simply doesn't have that appeal.

28. the truth Sep 3, 2008, 21:15 Tumbler

This is the game industry now. Hype dictates sales, and if the sales don't live up to the hype, well then OBVIOUSLY it wasn't the game's fault! There had to have been some other reason for it.

QFT.

No demo, massive hype/advertising, embargo's on reviews, it's all just a big scam. Give us your money first, then we'll show you the game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

27. Re: 2 million... Sep 3, 2008, 20:50 Creston

but selling 2 million on the PC would be unbelievable for almost any game

Note : Not just 2 million copies total. 2 million copies IN SEPTEMBER ALONE.

Colin Sebastian, you fail at life.

Creston

26. So when it doesn't reach 2 million Sep 3, 2008, 20:48 Creston

Despite the MASSIVE amounts of money thrown at hype rather than (apparently) gameplay, EA can bitch that it's all the fault of pirates and second hand games.

Also, who the FUCK is Colin Sebastian of what the fuck ever? has this droolbag ever played a single game in his life?

This is the game industry now. Hype dictates sales, and if the sales don't live up to the hype, well then OBVIOUSLY it wasn't the game's fault! There had to have been some other reason for it.

Creston

25. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 16:48 dryden555

To my surprise too, it is indeed like an MMO in both 1. interface (once you get out of the water and onto land) and 2. in the way quests are given. The UI is a bunch of buttons with count-down timers (just like combat in WOW and Guild Wars etc) and you are hitting on these buttons to either attack or gain friends. For quests, you are traveling around a 3D landscape looking for "3 of this" or "do X activity to 5 of Y-type organisms." The landscapes are randomly generated and they look a bit generic which is unfortunate. You can tell the game was made for console graphics cards -- the landscape bitmaps and polygons are bland even on the highest settings. The creatures look great though. "fancy" graphical effects are surprisingly few, for example there don't appear to be any HDR or bloom effects at all.
This comment was edited on Sep 3, 17:11.

24. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 16:40 PHJF

I got a few hours of play in between classes today, and I wasn't very impressed... but I guess I have to reach the civilization stage first or something? I'm at the tribal stage, and so far not getting any "sandbox" feel. Other than tweaking my creature, which has little to no actual impact on the game, it plays out as base versions of existing game archetypes. To top that off, the world my little creatures inhabit is bland as all hell.

Suppose I need to play more, but right now this game is giving me a severe case of Black & White.
Wishing I had Sim City 5 instead...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 16:21 Ozmodan

Yeah right, with their horrid copy protection scheme anyone that buys this game has a few screws loose upstairs.

Once word gets out, it will seriously hurt their sales. They will be lucky to hit a million at best.

22. Re: Predication? Sep 3, 2008, 15:48 Kxmode

I don't think Spore is going to sell anywhere near as well as The Sims. The Sims sells so much because it caters specifically to a female audience, whereas Spore doesn't really cater specifically to anyone.

College students, sim freaks, micro-management types, creative types, creative types with dirty minds to name a few.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

21. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 15:05 The Half Elf

Spore plays like a MMO? How exactly? The ONLY comparison I could see is downloading people's characters off the WoW Armory and loading them into your game.

Now what would be interesting is making the planets say...50 to 100% bigger and throwing in some sort of multiplayer component.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: 2 million... Sep 3, 2008, 14:56 sponge

Uh...that would be amazing if it sold 2 million copies on only one platform. And the PC no less. When was the last time a PC game sold 2 million copies!?

2005. Battlefield 2, Civilization 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PC

19. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 14:54 Darks

News flash just in, Piracy to blame for lack of sales!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

18. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 14:06 dryden555

Spore was designed with a very hefty on-line component and with lots of room for add-ons, so if the game is any good, it could have a long shelf-life. In some gameplay respects, and for better or worse, Spore plays like an MMO, with some RTS elements in the later city stages.

17. Re: 2 million... Sep 3, 2008, 13:25 Overon

Can't wait for piracy to be blamed for something having to do with this game.

16. 2 million... Sep 3, 2008, 13:09 Tumbler

Uh...that would be amazing if it sold 2 million copies on only one platform. And the PC no less. When was the last time a PC game sold 2 million copies!?

I would guess 250k is somewhere close to what it will sell. Maybe 500k? I have no idea, but selling 2 million on the PC would be unbelievable for almost any game. I think the expansion for Wow sold less than this no? I remember it had some insane sales numbers and spore doesn't strike me as a game that has as many potential buyers as wow.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 12:41 Prez

2 million sales for any PC game is way too aggressive an expectation. EA really should know better after The Sims Online.

It is quite possible Spore will meet and even exceed those expectations, but right now it sounds like a case of EA counting chickadees before they hatch.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Predication? Sep 3, 2008, 12:33 The Half Elf

Well Cutter if you'd quit hanging out with the guys with Hello Kitty handbags maybe you'd have a different look on life?

Anyway I wonder if pre-order sales figure into his 'expectations'?

13. Re: Predication? Sep 3, 2008, 12:31 NKD

I don't think Spore is going to sell anywhere near as well as The Sims. The Sims sells so much because it caters specifically to a female audience, whereas Spore doesn't really cater specifically to anyone.

The Sims also has a familiar setting that everyone can relate to. Bizarre creatures? Meh. Maybe the Pokemon crowd will like it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. liars.... Sep 3, 2008, 12:22 Dreagon

It will probably turn a profit just on the people who will buy it but never admit it.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo