Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: chrome Sep 4, 2008, 01:00 Kxmode

Do you have something against programmers developing efficient applications?

Shoddy code doesn't matter? Just throw more hardware at it?

Sounds like AoC.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. The real reason Chrome is faster Sep 3, 2008, 23:47 indiv

Chrome seems so much faster for some sites because Google did an amazing job on their Javascript engine. Run some benchmarks between it and your favorite browser, and you'll be amazed.

(Run them on your current browser first, and then on Chrome)

http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
http://code.google.com/apis/v8/run.html

You can expect Firefox to catch up fairly quickly seeing how they're both open source and all.

27. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 20:34 CreamyBlood

If this is even something that you remotely think matters....get more RAM.

Do you have something against programmers developing efficient applications?

Shoddy code doesn't matter? Just throw more hardware at it?

26. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 17:30 xXBatmanXx

Forgot to mention, played through Kane and Lynch this weekend (it was ok - not worth the playthrough) and almost finished with Army of Two (another let down).

Both have enjoyable elements, but it seems the game execution was hurried in each. Army of Two is just Gears of War v1.5

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: Google Chrome Sep 3, 2008, 16:03 deadgoon

Hmm - flash sites are working good. tabbed browsing over 3 tabs is cool...

I'm even running on vista business without issue.

24. Re: Google Chrome Sep 3, 2008, 15:49 banddirector

Chrome looks good, as well as Firefox, but I'm such a Microsoft whore I can't bring myself to try anything else ...

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

23. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 15:22 BicycleRepairMan

"What do atheists yell during sex?"

Colbert borrowed this from Bill Hicks..

btw, Hicks is right, its "Chemical Chance!, Chemical Chance!"

Protect Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the hero of our time.
http://www.petitiononline.com/hirsiali/petition.html

22. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 15:01 zirik

Anyone else find that the scroll wheel will only scroll the page down, but not up, when using Chrome?

scrolling works both directions for me but flash pages are not fully functional. audio support seems to need a lot of work.

21. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 14:55 DG

Maybe I misinterpreted "Seems a lot lighter on its feet", I was responding to that. I also assumed (possibly supported by Chrome using Android's Webkit) one of the main reasons for Chrome going light on features and putting such an emphasis on speed is for ultra-mobile devices. Memory can be very small on those and adding more prohibitive.

20. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 14:15 Cabezone

A very quick test shows it using more RAM when more than 3 tabs are open

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

19. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 14:07 xXBatmanXx

Anyone else find that the scroll wheel will only scroll the page down, but not up, when using Chrome?

"It's a feature....not a bug"

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

18. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 13:39 JM

17. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 13:00 DG

I'm not seeing much point in switching. A very quick test shows it using more RAM when more than 3 tabs are open, and the difference gets increasingly bigger after that (YMMV). I like that it's sandboxed, but that's about it. FF has Adblock and password manager, both are deal-breakers.

Oh and it's another one for installing GoogleUpdate.exe, which doesn't uninstall with it and reinstalls itself if you try it manually. I don't know why Google insists on having an update app run as a process from startup anyway, can't the app just check when I load it?

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 13:00.

16. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 11:51 Jim

What they've done with the interface is interesting too. It really is a better implementation of what Microsoft did with IE7.

The page is really prominent. Toolbars and window headers are minimal. Even the status bar is just an auto-hiding pop-up. It feels really clean.

The thumbnail history of frequently visited sites it provides when opening a new tab is already working its way into my habits.

It still has a couple of rough spots (I miss smooth scrolling and the ability to turn off underlined links) but so far I like it. I'm using it in place of FF at work now.

Jim

15. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 11:50 Wowbagger_TIP

I just read its open source, so Ill wait till someone releases a version that removes all the ads, popups, assorted google spam and of course the infamous or should I say anti-constitutional "tracking", thank you very much.
Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for that, as well as equivalents for some other plugins that I use with Firefox.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 10:32 xXBatmanXx

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA
http://www.videosift.com/video/Better-Know-a-Lobby-Atheism

"A pole and a hole"

and

"What do atheists yell during sex?"

COMEDY GOLD JERRY!

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 10:39.

13. No subject Sep 3, 2008, 09:21 dryden555

there are a couple of excellent firefox add-ins that will keep me using that browser.

12. Re: chrome Sep 3, 2008, 08:27 InBlack

You can opt out of tracking when you install it.

Just installed it. Its decent but it tends to hesitate at times.

I just read its open source, so Ill wait till someone releases a version that removes all the ads, popups, assorted google spam and of course the infamous or should I say anti-constitutional "tracking", thank you very much.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Google Chrome Sep 3, 2008, 08:11 Enahs

People talk about the cleanness, but in FireFox I put everything (Buttons, Menus, URL and Search bar) all on one line. Very clean.

Not that I am saying do not try it, it is just nothing special yet.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

10. Re: Google Chrome Sep 3, 2008, 08:09 Enahs

o call this revolutionary is an understatement. Its takes a Google to make it happen. all I can say is expect multi-threaded browsers to become the paradigm.

I.E. 8 is Multi-threaded. Opera played around with Multi-Threading in 1994. Firefox is implementing multi-threading...

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo