Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WAR Early Access Detailed

Eurogamer has details on the early access preorder customers will get to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Mythic's upcoming Warhammer-inspired MMORPG. According to their report, those who preordered the Collector's Edition can get started leveling up their characters on September 14, a four day head start on the game's September 18 launch date, while those who preorder the standard edition can join on September 15, for a three day leg up.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Explain, please? Sep 2, 2008, 18:18 NKD

Fibro pretty much covered it, that was my experience as well.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Explain, please? Sep 2, 2008, 15:53 Fibrocyte

PvE in WAR is very bad, Jack - sorry to say it. The mobs are completely stupid, often running backwards towards you - often not approaching you at all as your plink them from a distance (no lag involved) - often not being able to be hit by you even when they're right in your face. The very basic things are still broken as of the preview weekend. They say these things were regressions from a recent patch, but I played 1 year ago in closed beta and 2 months ago in closed beta and it is always the same.

Regarding PVP, it is going to fail due to sluggish boring combat unless they fix that. There's plenty of posts regarding this on warhammeralliance.com to read.

WAR has some great things in it, but when they basics fall short like they do presently, it's hard to justify paying a penny. I very well may try WAR several months from now, but I know I won't be playing at release.

24. Re: No subject Sep 2, 2008, 15:36 g_mann

"WOW 1.5....?

It's more like the other way around..dude."

Sorry.....

1.5 WOW

23. Explain, please? Sep 2, 2008, 12:44 Paranoid Jack

"Its PvE is barely functional. It's a PvP-centric game. I think you'll be disappointed. Hell, I was LOOKING for a PvP-centric game and was disappointed."

Barely functional? What game did you play... or are you going by somebody else's opinion? WAR has plenty of PVE quests and exploration. Not to mention the tons of things to do listed inside the Tome. It may not have WoW PVE content but WoW has been out for four years. Besides WoW was 80% or more PVE when I was playing years ago. WAR is more like 60-40 from what I've seen.

And if you were looking for a PvP centric game why were you disappointed? WAR has some of the best PvP content to date in my opinion.

Is it a matter of taste? Would you mind... give some detail why you felt the way you did?

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 13:32.

22. No subject Sep 2, 2008, 05:18 Shadowcat

Can I get an official pronunciation guide for "WOAORMMORPG"?

21. Re: No subject Sep 2, 2008, 01:29 NKD

I guarantee you players are NOT going to stay with WOW because their friends and family are playing. I have hundreds of examples from my own guild. We've had members leave to go play AoC, WAR, and other MMOs. They have lots of friends in WoW. They left because WOW wasn't doing it for them anymore.

I didn't say nobody leaves. Obviously people do, but there aren't going to be mass exodus where hundreds of thousands leave and never return. People obviously come and go for many reasons, but there is going to be a natural resistance to giving up a large time investment.

I don't mean to be condescending, but a lot of casuals hop MMOs every couple months, never happy with any MMO.

Look at AOC. People ran over there like it was the Messiah. But almost all of them kept their existing accounts just in case, and after the first month just under 40% subscribed their account beyond the free 30 days. That's terrible retention. I'd be surprised if we ever see another subscriber number from Funcom, because in another couple months it's going to be down around 200,000 subs like EQ1 and EQ2.

All those people started playing whatever MMO they were playing before, or started waiting for Warhammer or whatever MMO is coming out next after that.

When subscriber numbers were more available, they showed us that when a new MMO came out, there is not a huge drop in subscribers to other MMOs. If they were declining, they continued to decline at the rate they were before.

Or, maybe all of their friends are also switching over. Me and my friends have invested hundreds of hours into WoW, reached the pinnacle of gear and progression, and yet we can't wait to start playing Warhammer, and have no intention of going back.

If your guild is interested in gear and progression, may I ask why you're all going to Warhammer just before an expansion and new raid content? Its PvE is barely functional. It's a PvP-centric game. I think you'll be disappointed. Hell, I was LOOKING for a PvP-centric game and was disappointed.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 01:31.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. No subject Sep 2, 2008, 01:06 HellSlayer

Whoever did the art for this game....sucked!

If you would die tomorrow...what then? John 3:16
God gave man dominion--the pains you see are because of our decisions--not His!

o0

19. Re: "critical mass" Sep 2, 2008, 01:04 Taggle

Or, maybe all of their friends are also switching over. Me and my friends have invested hundreds of hours into WoW, reached the pinnacle of gear and progression, and yet we can't wait to start playing Warhammer, and have no intention of going back.

I know plenty of *entire guilds* in the same situation. Will they go back to WoW? Some will, but if Warhammer can keep even half of the WoW people that end up trying it, it'll be incredibly successful. Keep in mind that retention really comes down to the quality of the game, but that is another story.

18. Re: Open beta? Sep 2, 2008, 01:04 Kxmode

@NKD

I guarantee you players are NOT going to stay with WOW because their friends and family are playing. I have hundreds of examples from my own guild. We've had members leave to go play AoC, WAR, and other MMOs. They have lots of friends in WoW. They left because WOW wasn't doing it for them anymore.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

17. Re: Open beta? Sep 2, 2008, 00:13 NKD

The way people look at the whole "Oh noes WoW killar!!" thing is totally off base.

WoW is more like Myspace than it is an MMO. Many people cannot leave WoW and go somewhere else that their friends dont play anymore than they can delete their Myspace and go make an account on some competing site that their friends dont use.

It's sort of hit "critical mass" where if you're an MMO player, it's likely you have friends or family already playing an MMO, and you won't be moving.

Most of the people who quit X MMO to go play Y MMO are people who do not make friends, are MMO outcasts, or never invested much time into their existing MMO. A few people honestly switch over, but end up right back where they started when they miss their friends, their gear, or the game they went to isn't the utter perfection they expected.

16. Re: Open beta? Sep 1, 2008, 23:51 Warskull

I don't know if I will like this game or not, but is there a way for me to check it out without buying the game? Did open PUBLIC beta occur yet? Thanks in advance.

It will start the 7th, anyone who has a pre-order is let in plus a limited number of first come first serve slots. With the way the preview weekend went I doubt those slots will last very long.

You could pre-order from a gamestop, get the code, and then never go back and pick it up (if you don't like it) if they run out of open beta slots. Basically a $10 trial run.

15. Open beta? Sep 1, 2008, 23:26 Ant

I don't know if I will like this game or not, but is there a way for me to check it out without buying the game? Did open PUBLIC beta occur yet? Thanks in advance.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. ... Sep 1, 2008, 22:11 theyarecomingforyou

The only thing that would even cause a flesh wound to WoW is a Starcraft MMO.
I don't know why so many people seem to get excited at that idea. I'm much more excited about those trying something new, like Star Trek Online - the universe is so rich (much richer than most others, though Warhammer and Star Wars are both also very strong). I still haven't seen enough to justify paying monthly for a game, though. I'm much more interested in Guild Wars 2.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

13. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 21:13 Kxmode

Or Warhammer 40,000 Online... which is on the way.

-----

12. World of Starcraft? Sep 1, 2008, 20:32 Paranoid Jack

Not sure how well that would work. I know the Koreans would simply love it but Starcraft wasn't that great for me. I like the old Warcraft games much better.

Either way I am anxious to see what their next MMO project is. Since rumor has it it's been in the works for quite some time now.

I'll most likely get WotLK but not sure if it will be at launch or months later. Still looking forward to it even though I'll most likely get bored with WoW again within a month or two.

As far as WAR goes I am still going through with-drawls. I am excited and can't wait for release day.

11. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 20:29 wtf_man

Won't ever buy another Mythic game, let alone another "Wow-Art-Style" one... Mythic peed in my Cheerios one too many times in DAoC. That company is king of the nerf-bat, even to this day. (And no... I'm not talking about PvP and an "I-Win" button... I played on "PvE only" Gaharis)

Good luck to those who like that kind of stuff.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 20:31.

10. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 19:07 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 18:32 Talisorn

Perhaps, but let's see who reigns supreme. Then everyone will know which world is more liked.
Why does everyone expect the "next great game" to be a WoW killer. Nothing will kill WoW, especially when so many people have so much time invested in their characters. Hell there are people who refuse to leave EQ1 for the same reasons. *sheesh*

The fact is that WAR is a good game ... and I don't say that lightly. It's one of the few MMO betas I've felt good about since the WoW beta. All others I've gladly said "have potential" and inevitably they don't live up to that potential. So what it's worth (from someone whose been gaming since the late '70s ... but take that as you will), I simply have "a good feeling" about this one.

8. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 17:13 Kxmode

Perhaps, but let's see who reigns supreme. Then everyone will know which world is more liked.

-----
This comment was edited on Sep 1, 17:15.

7. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2008, 16:23 MrTA

Dude you need to get your facts in order. Blizzard has stated themselves several times that their Warcraft games (which wow is based on) is based on the warhammer world. Blizzard actually tried to work out a deal to make wow a licend Games workshop game with the warhammer world back in the days.

So if anything wow is more like war 1,5 or maybe 2.0 including wotlk....

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo