Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Expansion Interview

EVE Online interview on MMORPG.COM is a video interview with CCP associate producer Arend Stuhrmann about the EVE Online expansion they plan to launch next month. He discusses the player-oriented approach to the add-on, as it will incorporated a number of requests from the community. He goes on to discuss the following add-in, codenamed "Midas," which will offer lots of new content, and will focus on science and industry. Hopefully as video interviews grow more prevalent, content providers will invest in external microphones, because the audio quality of the answers is awful (while the camcorder mic picks up the questions quite clearly). Thanks Eurogamer.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2008, 09:49 BubbleMage

The main attraction of EVE is smashing other people's sand castles either through pvp or scamming. Everything else is usually mundane, boring, and takes a long time.

This is the most succinct and accurate description of EVE that I've ever seen. Nevertheless, I feel the need to expound...

Basically, if you're a natural bully, you'll love the game. If, however, you typically play well with others, say 'please' and 'thank you', and generally act like a civilized human being, there's nothing in EVE for you. It's a paradise for immature lack-wits and people who've failed at life. Oh, it's gorgeous and looks very tempting, and it had me fooled for a few weeks, but it's a caramel-covered rotten apple. EVE isn't high space opera, it's Fight Club for retards.

Short version: Don't waste your time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2008, 09:11 InBlack

....same here. It simply takes too long to train the high skills necessary for the really awesome ships....(t2 ships)

Even the ammount of credits needed is quite daunting to aquire, but its not that big of a deal as the skill training is.

That and the fact that you need to be friends with someone from CCP to get into a good corp, is what finnaly put me off the game.

BTW I still feel this is the best MMO on the market, it just requires too much time to get into properly.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 09:13.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 20:52 Kxmode

Granted the game has some great stories of Corporate Espionage, etc, but overall I would settle for a more, scaled back system that would let you really get into the game faster.

This is why I stopped playing.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 20:53.

19. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 19:16 The Half Elf

I guess my issue with Eve is you have to basically pay for months of service to 1) get skills trained 2) really get into the meat of the game.

Granted the game has some great stories of Corporate Espionage, etc, but overall I would settle for a more, scaled back system that would let you really get into the game faster.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 18:46 Slink

I downloaded this on a whim from Steam, and I have to admit that I'm addicted. I can see it getting stale but for right now it's keeping me entertained.

- - - - - -
WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

17. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 18:15 Kxmode

if you stay in civilised space and don't join up to go to war your pretty much 99% safe.

Yes. Additionally you can filter out regions with low security on the jump-nav. It will take you longer to reach your destination but you'll arrive there in one piece.

-----
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 18:18.

16. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 15:33 Burrito of Peace

I just got in to Eve about 6 weeks ago after having tried it on a trial account two, maybe three years ago.

I now absolutely love what Eve has to offer during my current playthrough.

I like the fact that death has a real and genuine consequence. Sorry, being resurrected and/or running back to your body is not a consequence, it's hand holding for people to scared to face up to the big, bad world.

I love the fact that a couple of weeks ago, I was cruising through space with a buddy and we got our ships shot out from underneath us by a pirate corp. Luckily, we weren't podded to Hell (although I had a good clone and insurance). We called in the rest of the family corp, went back and did some revenge killing in zero sec.

I dislike when people call players who are pirates "antisocial thugs". Piracy is very much an important part of the game play and world of Eve. I say that as someone who is not a pirate, has no interest in being a pirate and has lost three ships to pirates.

In some ways, Eve reminds me of space, herself. She's beautiful and breathtaking, but she will kill you swiftly if you are not mindful of your ships, environment and location.

15. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 15:33 Lactose The Intolerant

The main attraction of EVE is smashing other people's sand castles either through pvp or scamming. Everything else is usually mundane, boring, and takes a long time.

14. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 15:21 Pottsey

"oh yeah that sounds like loads of fun"
It means if you wonder outside civilised space into a war zone at the wrong time you might just get blown up. Yes it is lots of fun, no I am 100% safe where ever I go even if it's a warzone.

If you stay in civilised space and don't join up to go to war your pretty much 99% safe.

13. No subject Aug 28, 2008, 15:16 dubfanatic

I can't believe people still pay these scumbags.

If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you could get attacked by roaming corporations; EVE's equivalent of guilds.

oh yeah that sounds like loads of fun
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 15:17.

12. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 14:55 Kxmode

Cool factors

1. Learning skills occurs in server time. So if something-something rank 2 takes eight hours to learn that's eight hours whether or not you're logged in.

2. The entire game is PVP. What keeps the hordes from roaming rampant is the level of security in a region. Security ranges from 0.0 (meaning there is no security) to 1.0 (the sector is fully secure). When you jump into 0.0 - 0.4 regions you can get attacked by players and hostiles. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you could get attacked by roaming corporations; EVE's equivalent of guilds.

-----
This comment was edited on Aug 28, 15:01.

11. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 14:43 AnarKane

t_c: I've been playing it for a little more than two weeks myself. I'm lucky in that I'm on vacation this week, so I can devote more time to it. But it's not a requirement, by any means. I'm not one of the PvP crowd myself, but I've been having fun running missions and mining, with the occasional side venture into manufacturing. So there's something there for everyone, but the PvP element is there, and it's quite prevalent, especially when you go into anything below 0.5 space.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

10. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 14:42 Pottsey

If your into PvE don't do endless level 4 missions those are just generic missions. Look into Cosmos areas of space with agents in space. Those are more unique missions there are also ruins, exploring, scanning e.c.t

9. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 13:48 the_culture

Thanks for the advice, I'm considering it. For those who may not be interested in PvP, is the game still fun? Can I still go out and explore, find planets, build my ship up, etc.?

If the game is geared towards PvP, then I'm not interested.

8. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 12:43 Pottsey

"between the new GFX, new ships, factional warfare, new FW missions aplenty there has been content, problem with eve is not all the content fits to certain people."
What new GFX? that was last year. 4 basic T1 cruisers and FW that's all we had all year. That's the size of a small content patch not an expansion. They added FW for low sec, pretty much nothing for high sec and nothing for zero sec.

Unless you want to do some PvP in low sec next to nothing was added to the game for a very long time. True expansions should have a mix of content for various people.
Focusing expansions on one small group is silly as it means most players end up going 12+ months without content.
FW its self isn't that much content. We normally get x10 more content then this.

7. Im holding out for Aug 28, 2008, 12:28 mOOzilla

Star Trek Online.  
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

6. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 11:54 Theo

between the new GFX, new ships, factional warfare, new FW missions aplenty there has been content, problem with eve is not all the content fits to certain people.

for example we are getting this industry patch in december, prolly have loads of changes and content in, but wont matter a jot to me cause i dont do anything that does not mean YARR or boom.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 11:55.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

5. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 11:36 Pottsey

I much as I love Eve that was not an expansion. It barely counts as a small contact patch. I want to know what CCP are playing at we have had almost zero new content this year.

"I tried Eve. Nice game, but you have to be a student, unemployed, or rich and idle to really get into it, and sadly I am none of those.".
That's a load of rubbish because the skills train when your offline you dont have to spend hours grinding like other MMORPG's. I play a few hours here and there, you don't need tons of time.

4. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 11:06 Theo

i wouldnt really call this a expansion, there is a bunch of trinity 1.2 stuff comming, but this isnt really a major release.

as for learning to play the game, yes skills help, but in PvP all that matters is a good head and the ability to follow orders.

2 days ago i took a 2 week old player out, took 30 mins for him to learn how to use a warp scrammer and then he got some kills with us.

he was totally over the moon, we got back after going on out with no losses, and the fact remains that without that 2 week old newb, we wouldnt have got ANY kills because we assigned him to warp scramble the enemys.

PvE is different of course, skills are the most important thing there cause eve pve is ZZZzzzzz

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

3. Re: No subject Aug 28, 2008, 10:58 sir

I tried Eve. Nice game, but you have to be a student, unemployed, or rich and idle to really get into it, and sadly I am none of those.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo