Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ATI DirectX 10.1 Support & Demo

AMD Works with Leading Developers to Drive High Performance DirectX 10.1 Gaming announces a push by ATI to promote DirectX 10.1 gaming on their hardware, saying "Only AMD graphics offer top-to-bottom DirectX 10.1 support: the ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 series and the new ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 series." AMD/ATI has been working directly with some developers on DirectX 10.1 support for titles such as Battleforge, Stormrise, and Cloud 9, which "all exploit DirectX 10.1 for advanced gaming performance and visual realism." Additionally, for those with appropriate hardware, the ATI Developer Website offers a new ATI Radeon HD 3000-series real-time "Ping Pong" demo, saying: "the demo shows off a new lighting technique known as real-time global illumination, together with a scalable physics simulation optimized for multi-core systems. It's also interactive - move around the room and see how many ping pong balls you can maneuver into the goals!"

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 18:03 4D-Boxing

current generation cards will not be able to handle games that are released two years from now.

Not trying to be an @ss but the 8800GTX was released back in November 2006 and it will play games released in November 2008 & IMHO in November 2009. The ATI 9700pro I think it was played well for at least 2 years back when I had one.

Despite all that you make a very good comment...200 series cards are not worth the price of admission same for the ATI 4800 series. The new Cards are useless unless you play at 1920x1200 with 4x AA & 16x AF & up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 17:50 NKD

DirectX 10.1 offers no visual improvements over DirectX 10. In fact the only thing that would be apparent to end-users is a small boost in performance when using Anti-Aliasing, if properly implemented.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 16:48 zirik

i gave up buying current generation cards that support next generation graphics tech. games usually take 2 years to catch up with new versions of direct x. current generation cards will not be able to handle games that are released two years from now.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 16:50.

14. Re: Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 16:39 PropheT

I never understand why nvidia and ati market support for API versions to consumers. "If you don't buy one of our video cards every single year, you won't be able to experience a significant decrease in performance for an unnoticable increase in image quality!"

The only people who should care that much about API versions are the programmers who write code with them.

So...video card manufacturers shouldn't market that their cards support the latest and greatest graphics innovations in the market? Isn't that one of the major reasons someone would buy their cards?

13. Re: Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 15:13 Ecthelion

I use 7.12 because the 8.X series has been complete crap.
It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th most recent revision of the 8.x series that ATI finally enabled driver-level pillarboxing support for widescreen monitors (at least over a DVI connection; I think VGA may have worked for a while now). It's a very nice feature for those of us with standard widescreen monitors that don't have built-in support for pillarboxing (which apparently only comes with insanely expensive widescreen monitors), and who like playing older games that don't properly support widescreen resolutions.

Here's some info on pillarboxing, if you don't know what I mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillarboxing.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Image_Scaling
Look at the "Aspect Scaling" bullet under the "Image Scaling" section.

12. Re: Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 14:51 Kajetan

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 14:51.

11. Re: Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 14:26 A51Abductee

I'm still looking for a justification for DX10, besides Microsoft's need to sell a new operating system.

When STALKER: Clear Sky is available less than 2 weeks from now, with full DX10 support included out of the box (are you listening, Funcom?), it should be all the justification that most of us need.

10. Re: Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 13:12 AnarKane

They won't retro this one onto the 7.12 drivers, so I won't bother. (I use 7.12 because the 8.X series has been complete crap.)  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

9. Whatever... Aug 25, 2008, 13:08 Umbragen

I'm still looking for a justification for DX10, besides Microsoft's need to sell a new operating system.

8. Re: ... Aug 25, 2008, 12:49 kyleb

They'll probably just skip it like they basicly did with PS1.4 and then SM2, leaving the standards with little developer support.

7. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 12:44 HIGH_PING

I never understand why nvidia and ati market support for API versions to consumers. "If you don't buy one of our video cards every single year, you won't be able to experience a significant decrease in performance for an unnoticable increase in image quality!"

The only people who should care that much about API versions are the programmers who write code with them.

6. Re: ... Aug 25, 2008, 12:33 Jonny5

From what I understand DX11 is backwarss compatible with 10.1 so doestn Nvidia HAVE to eventually at least go 10.1

5. ... Aug 25, 2008, 11:44 theyarecomingforyou

Hardly surprising considering how nVidia completely dropped the ball on the 10.1 spec. Battleforge looks reasonable but ATi is going to need a lot bigger games than these if they want to get anywhere.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. When I think awesome graphics... Aug 25, 2008, 11:10 Will W

The first thing to come to mind is Ping-Pong.

3. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 11:04 shaggedout

Wait until DirectX 10.2 comes out. Then they'll be screwed. Oh yes..

2. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 10:37 Joss

Seriously. They're just clambering over each other now.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 10:39.

1. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 09:47 InBlack

Gimme gimme hype hype!

I have a nifty blue line!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo