Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Small Left 4 Dead Delay

Leipzig 08 interview with Gabe Newell on GameKings.tv talks with Gabe Newell at the Games Convention, asking the Valve boss about progress on Left 4 Dead, getting a hands-on demo of the game. Near the very end at about the 12:30 mark, Gabe admits to a slight delay for the multiplayer zombie game, which was previously expected on November 4 (story). Since setting that date they apparently realized it was tantalizingly close to the tenth anniversary of the November 19, 1998 release of the original Half-Life (story). Thus they have pushed back the release of Left 4 Dead to November 20/third week in November to coincide with the Half-Life anniversary. Thanks Voodoo Extreme.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2008, 12:51 Ecthelion

It's MP Coop. No single player...at least not that has been mentioned ever. And yes it's free to play, but you do have to buy the game. You might want to read at least 1 preview
I've read that bots will fill in any player slots not taken by human players, so it stands to reason that it can be played by only one player. The fact that Turtle Rock made the official Counter-Strike bot makes single player even more likely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2008, 12:46 Krovven

One thing id like to know does it have a multiplayer component, and is it free?

It's MP Coop. No single player...at least not that has been mentioned ever. And yes it's free to play, but you do have to buy the game. You might want to read at least 1 preview

----------------------------------------------------
Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Civilization Revolution, GRID

PSN= Puscifer73 Trackmania= puscifer604
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesn

26. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2008, 03:52 InBlack

I have avoided L4D previews and other info as much as possible, so I can be (i hope) pleasently surprised. One thing id like to know does it have a multiplayer component, and is it free?

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 03:52.

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 23:49 Prez

Valve wouldn't be Valve if the release date wasn't missed by at least a year. I'm not holding my breath.

Still, I don't mind, because their products are usually top notch.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 19:14 kyleb

You missunderstood Shadowcat's question. If they delayed the game to coincide with anniversary of the orignal HL, why aren't the releasing it then rather than a day later?

23. Re: No subject Aug 25, 2008, 16:55 xXBatmanXx

So they realised they could delay a bit to coincide with the Half Life anniversary of November 19, and consequently decided to release it on November 20 instead. Does that make any sense to anyone? (Not that I care when it comes out, but this explanation/reasoning is just plain weird.)

Outside of selling it stand alone - they will also release it as a package deal with other titles/products with a huge price tag.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. No subject Aug 25, 2008, 16:31 Shadowcat

So they realised they could delay a bit to coincide with the Half Life anniversary of November 19, and consequently decided to release it on November 20 instead. Does that make any sense to anyone? (Not that I care when it comes out, but this explanation/reasoning is just plain weird.)

21. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 15:59 Overon

Is this the delay that will make the game fun?

Kidding!

20. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 13:58 Ecthelion

ANY? Did you play Blue Shift?
I remember that the story wasn't as good as Half Life or Opposing Force and that the game was fairly short, but I don't recall the gameplay being bad.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 13:59.

19. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 13:57 xXBatmanXx

I sure did. And I would rather REPLAY Blue Shift rather than GoW1 or 2. (played through GoW so I wasn't a bigot trashing it. :))

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

18. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 13:26 Veinman

Gears of War 1 and 2 can't even hold a fucking candle to ANY Valve product

As for me, I'm getting both. I was undecided about L4D, but the recent videos have convinced me. Gears might have to wait and become a Christmas gift though.

17. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 13:20 Krovven

if anything, L4D would suffer from being released later,

The "I dont think so" would be in reference to this part of his comment. I don't think L4D will suffer from GoW2 being out first. Some may stay on GoW2 instead of L4D, but most that do are going to be the ones I'd rather not see playing L4D anyways.

Trackmania United Forever, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Civilization Revolution, GRID

16. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 12:40 kyleb

That is his point, they will stay there rather than buying L4D.

15. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 12:16 Krovven

if anything, L4D would suffer from being released later, Now, people waiting for L4D might get GOW instead instead of vice versa.

I don't think so. People will burn through the GoW2 single player game in a day or two. That will just leave the mouth breathing, 360 "core", tourettes plagued children left playing GoW2 MP. Quite honestly, I'd rather they stay there than infesting L4D games

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 12:23.

14. Re: So? Aug 25, 2008, 11:37 Coolone

Valve can take all the time they need, I don't even care why.

13. Re: So? Aug 25, 2008, 11:14 Overon

I watched a ton of left 4 dead gameplay videos. It plays very arcade like and quick. I yearn for a more tactical "realistic" zombie survival game. Something like based on the book "the zombie survival guide." That would be so awesome.

12. Re: So? Aug 25, 2008, 10:57  Blue 

That was my impression, also.

Okay, I've added another few words that hopefully clear this up.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Re: So? Aug 25, 2008, 10:50 nin

At first I read it as if it was pushed back as not to ruin the preparations or something

That was my impression, also.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Taking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Smart Valve, Smart Aug 25, 2008, 10:44 xXBatmanXx

Translation: We at Valve Studios are smart enough not to compete with the boys at Epic and their behemoth, Gears of War 2.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thank you for the laugh of a lifetime!

Gears of War 1 and 2 can't even hold a fucking candle to ANY Valve product. They aren't even in the same fucking league! GoW is total BUSH LEAGUE!

9. Re: So? Aug 25, 2008, 10:24 BicycleRepairMan

How does the text here not make that clear?

Now that I read it again, it probably does, I guess I'm just tired and didnt realize it was pushed back to coincide with the anniversary. At first I read it as if it was pushed back as not to ruin the preparations or something, I realize now that was a bit silly interpretation.

Protect Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the hero of our time.
http://www.petitiononline.com/hirsiali/petition.html

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo