Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: World at War to Bust Punks

PunkBuster Online Countermeasures Announcement page has word that Call of Duty: World at War will use Even Balance's anti-cheating software: "Activision has contracted with Even Balance, Inc. to integrate PunkBuster™ Anti-Cheat software into the game Call of Duty®: World at War™ developed by Treyarch."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2008, 07:24 CommunistHamster

I have never seen a cheater in battlefield, PB seems to stop them all. What you're thinking of is "exploits", ie those things which are built into the game by bad design, examples being one-way bulletproof glass in BF1942 and clipping into buildings using vehicles in BF2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 15:49 Brainp0wa

Punkbuster is as useful as a football bat.

14. No subject Aug 19, 2008, 15:38 xXBatmanXx

PB?

"IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!"

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 13:00 zariok

2nd that... there's various locations to get "vector" based-aim bots and "charms" to allow see-through vision. Good news is that with COD4 most of the dumb dumbs left BF2/BF2142.

12. No subject Aug 19, 2008, 12:11 cronik

I want punks busted!

11. No subject Aug 19, 2008, 10:12 xXBatmanXx

**yawn**

PB doesn't work.

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 09:24 McSterls

I have however seen incredibly talented and good players accused of cheating, when all they were doing was playing to their maximum and pwning all and sundry.

I guess you haven't played the battlefield series, cheating is rampant.

9. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 09:23 InBlack

Morgan, I had that problem. I had to manually download and install PunkBuster support for COD4. Just go to their homepage, its quite simple really.

Problem fixed. Good luck!

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 09:13 Morgan19

A persistently unfixable problem with PB not allowing me to connect to 90% of servers out there, despite having a perfectly clean install, was the main reason I had to give up on CoD4 despite absolutely loving the game.

Blegh.

m19

7. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 08:15 InBlack

Obviously the developer pays something for the service, probably less than what it would cost them to implement it themselves.

The end user, pays for either one or the other

6. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 07:44 zirik

And while I really dont like PunkBuster, Im pretty sure that its a free service.

i doubt they give that service away for free. the developer licensed their technology. i paid for the software. nothing is free.

5. No subject Aug 19, 2008, 07:24 Hump

Most useless app ever.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 07:12 InBlack

While true that both PB and VAC, arent 100% proof against cheaters, I have in years of gaming seen one, yes ONE cheater on a public server. (Quake3, COD4, TF2)

I have however seen incredibly talented and good players accused of cheating, when all they were doing was playing to their maximum and pwning all and sundry.

And while I really dont like PunkBuster, Im pretty sure that its a free service.

3. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 07:09 Optimaximal

I still remember how they tried to rise the community against Valve when Gabe and company saw that PB was useless and they decided to program their own anticheat (which hasn't worked specially well either)
At least Valve have the 'threat' of permanent VAC bans and account suspensions. PB is so third-party its useless!

2. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 06:03 Paketep

And in every other game.

Just two more useless services that YOU have to have to play online and protect absolutely nothing

I still remember how they tried to rise the community against Valve when Gabe and company saw that PB was useless and they decided to program their own anticheat (which hasn't worked specially well either)

1. No subject Aug 19, 2008, 04:04 Optimaximal

Because it worked so well in CoD4...

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo