Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced

This press release announces Carrier Command: Gaea Mission, a multiplatform remake of the 1988 action/strategy game in the works at Bohemia Interactive and Black Element Software that will incorporate a story based on the upcoming second book in the Gaea series. The Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Website is already online (thanks Tiscali Games), with media and information, and further details are promised at next week's GC Developer's Conference. Here's the announcement:

Bohemia Interactive Studio and Black Element Software announce a new multi-platform title, Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Based on the original Carrier Command released in 1988, and fully licensed and endorsed by its creators, the new game strives to deliver innovative and intense gameplay in a truly next-gen rendition. Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is currently scheduled to be released in Spring 2010 on PC and other popular platforms.

Bohemia Interactive´s CEO, Marek Spanel, explains why the company chose this natural evolution from their current line-up of realistic military shooters, including titles such as Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and ArmA: Armed Assault:

“When we first heard about the opportunity to develop a game based on the original Carrier Command, we were instantly hooked,” says Spanel. “For us, Carrier Command was not only one of the most innovative games we had ever played but it is also one of the very few games that truly influenced our gaming tastes and motivated us in our own home grown game development, which later materialized in the form of Operation Flashpoint, with similar open ended gameplay and emphasis on a deeply simulated game world.”

“Having the opportunity to create an actual Carrier Command game is not only a great honor for us, but it also allows us to take the legendary title we all love and do it justice with a truly next-gen rendition,” comments Otakar Nieder, the game’s project leader at Black Element Software.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is set in the Gaea Universe, with the story adapted from the science fiction trilogy’s second novel, due for publication in 2009. The first volume, Gaea: Beyond the Son, is currently available in hardcover from Helios Publishing.

The game’s story centers on a crew waking from their thirty-year hibernation in the middle of a war that has raged from Earth to humanity's first colony in another solar system.

“The Gaea Universe offers a realism and depth beyond the usual gaming conventions,” explains David Lagettie, Gaea Executive Producer. Writer Didi Gilson (co-author with partner Phil under the pen name P.D. Gilson) elaborates, “Gaea explores harsh consequences in our future, from dwindling natural resources to the all-too-human talent for war, and how those aggressive instincts can impact our first forays in space colonization.”

“The vivid writing and compelling characters help us set this game in a believable universe and provides a strong Sci-Fi plot for the player’s immersion,” says CEO Spanel.

More details about Carrier Command: Gaea Mission will be revealed during the upcoming Leipzig Game Convention starting 20th of August.

http://www.bistudio.com

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 23:19 Shadowcat

I still live in hope that SOMEONE will remake Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
I've been replaying that one recently. Just so you know, it runs flawlessly under DOSBox, if you have a vaguely recent CPU in your PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 16:39 Muscular Beaver

Nope, never completed it that way.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

15. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 06:34 KilgoreTrout

But did you complete the game that way? I found that almost impossible since the enemy ship didn't have to drive slowly in shallow water.

14. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 03:42 Muscular Beaver

Yeah I found out that tactic pretty quickly, but it just wasnt fun, so I simply tried to get more islands.  

- Mojo Jojo

13. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 21:02 KilgoreTrout

Totally agree on both Carrier Command and Terra Nova.

But what about Stunt Car Racer? The remake was announced some years ago but it seems like it fizzled before going gold. Pity.

Did anyone actually complete Carrier Command the way it was supposed to be played? I tried and tried, but never succeeded.

Then I discovered the winning tactic: Locating the enemy ship and kamikaze-ing it with two or three airplanes fully loaded with bombs. Worked like a charm every time.

12. CC rocked! Aug 14, 2008, 20:34 Wildone

Back in the day! Terra Nova too was extremely awesome loved that game

11. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:22 Howin

Holy crap, they better not stuff this up with a linear mission based, plot driven game. It needs to be a sandbox world.

10. No subject Aug 14, 2008, 18:38 WaltC

I played it on the Amiga, too...;) Wow, how time flies--1988. It was a lot of fun. Hope they do it justice.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

9. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 18:30 Asmodai

Bloody awesome... Another "Amiga, played it to death" person here.. =)

8. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 18:23 Xoxotl

I second that motion on Terra Nova. That was an awesome game.

Ahhh, I have such fond memories of playing Carrier Command for hours on my old Atari ST.

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

7. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 18:21 Ludomancer

Terra Nova was another phenomenal game that was largely overlooked. I spent hours on that one as well. The Tribes series of online games felt a lot like Terra Nova did, actually. That's the closest they've gotten though.

6. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 18:07 Talisorn

More remakes please!
I still live in hope that SOMEONE will remake Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri ..... or the Ultima series, but I guess EA has it's claws in that one.

5. Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 17:12 Muscular Beaver

I just hope they do it right.
I also played it to death on the Amiga.

More remakes please!

- Mojo Jojo

4. Re: Does anybody else... Aug 14, 2008, 16:38 Ludomancer

This is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it on my Amiga. Have since tried to get it to run on emulators but can't get it to work out. I hope this new one is good. There were a lot of fun things in this game.
I liked that the original had no story though, you were just left to figure things out on your own in this massive game world. I hope they don't spoil that part too much.

3. Does anybody else... Aug 14, 2008, 16:17 Mostly_Harmless

...Read the game's title as Carrier Command: Gayer Mission
A new CC game would be cool, I played the original to death on my Atari ST.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 16:27.

2. Carrier Command Aug 14, 2008, 15:42 Yakumo

Wow, I've been wondering about a modern remake of CC for at least 10 years, fantastic.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 16:23.

1. Gaea Aug 14, 2008, 15:26 Surf

Wasn't that the life force crap from the Final Fantasy Series?

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo