Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Khronos Hopes for More Streamlined OpenGL 3.1

The Register has a follow-up to the release of the OpenGL 3.0 specifications earlier this week (thanks Mike Martinez), and the resulting hue and cry from folks unhappy with the limited progress in the new version of the API (story). They spoke with Neil Trevett, president of OpenGL proprietor Khronos Group and VP of member company NVIDIA, who told them his consortium hopes to start the process of streamlining OpenGL with version 3.1, saying that version 3.0 lays the groundwork for this, adding his personal hopes that the new spec will be released within six months. Here's a bit:

Trevett said the re-write was simply too much to engineer at the time. OpenGL is used in massive range of scenarios and supported by AMD, Apple, Intel, Dolby, Ericsson, Panasonic, Nokia and Symbian to name just a few of the 100 Khronos members.

Trevett reckoned that while people worked on the big goal of shrinking OpenGL the delays this produced meant companies relying on the API had been unable to take advantage of latest changes in hardware.

"Games are rebuilt every generation," Trevett said. "CAD programs can't have stuff disappear at short notice."

He added that while OpenGL 3.0 isn't as streamlined as people were hoping it would be, the deprecation mechanism is a step towards that bigger goal while giving people in CAD a chance to find out what's going to disappear ahead of time, and to prepare accordingly.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Heh Aug 14, 2008, 22:33 Creston

Two years ago : Guys, guys, we hear ya! Trust us, OpenGL 3.0 will have all the shiznits you want!

Today : Guys, guys, we hear ya! Trust us, OpenGL 3.1 will have all the shizzle you can dizzle!

Six months from now : Guys, guys, OpenGL 3.2...etc.

repeat ad infinitum.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. No subject Aug 14, 2008, 21:57 Shadowcat

Frankly if the OpenGL API is in such a bad state, I think they should have taken a leaf out of Microsoft's book and forked the API properly. Games using DirectX 7 do not (in theory) break when you install DirectX 9, because DX9 contains the DX6 API, and the hardware still has drivers to support it.

They should simply have retained the existing OpenGL 2.x API, and created an independent OpenGL 3 API that does not conflict.

Existing CAD applications wouldn't suffer any ill effects, and they could have made a fresh start on a proper version 3. It seems kinda obvious, really?

6. 3.1 in 6 months? Aug 14, 2008, 16:55 raz-0

I'm sure that announcing that the spec is obsolete before it even hits paper is going to encourage solid drivers for it and development around it.

the march to irrelevancy continues.

5. Re: MMORPGHoD Aug 14, 2008, 14:34 sc4r4b

OpenGL is for PC gaming as well... because DirectX isn't on the Mac or Linux.

I think a lot of people are getting too upset over this. I for one am glad that they are thinking about CAD applications and 3D artists.

4. Re: Games vs. CAD Aug 14, 2008, 13:39 MMORPGHoD

probably, because it isn't for just CAD

OK. Let me rephrase:

Just state OpenGL is for CAD development isn't for PC game development and be done with it.

I think DirectX has no real competition

Exactly. DX10 may have been disappointing to gamers including myself, but it's at least focused on PC gaming. OpenGL isn't nor would I expect it to be in the future. And I say that as someone who was hoping to see OpenGL offer some sort of alternative to Microsoft's offerings. Not gonna happen.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 13:54.

3. Re: Games vs. CAD Aug 14, 2008, 12:10 Flo

Good thing I just started learning game development with XNA 2.0 because I think DirectX has no real competition  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

2. Re: Games vs. CAD Aug 14, 2008, 12:03 DrEvil

probably, because it isn't for just CAD

1. Games vs. CAD Aug 14, 2008, 11:41 MMORPGHoD

What I don't understand is, why are they continuing to give game developers false hope? Stop stringing them along. Just state OpenGL is for CAD development and be done with it. They aren't fooling anyone anymore.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo