Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, so we watched a little of the Olympics, catching some of the women's softball the other day. The USA team pitched a combined no-hitter the game we saw, and then I saw highlights from the next game, which was also a no-hitter for the Americans. The thing I'm trying to figure out is not why the no-hitters, but rather how anyone ever gets any hits in that game at all. Those ladies get the ball going over 100 km/hour from a distance of 45 feet away, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hit any of those pitches with a tennis racket, much less a bat.

No-hit Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Scope.
Link: The Insane True Stories Behind 6 Cursed Movies.
Stories: Rocky Horror movie to be remade. Let's do the time warp again!
Loyal dog guards owner for weeks after death. Thanks nin and brother19.
8-year-old guitar wiz has reason to play the blues.
Science: A 'Frankenrobot' with a biological brain. Thanks Stadius. Robocop 2?
'Seeing sound' for the deaf.
Are we science-savvy enough to make informed decisions? 11/11 on the easy quiz.
Auction: Every NES Game Now Up for Grabs on eBay.
Empty Condom Pack & a Photo of "The Tart's" Knickers. Thanks dakslf.
Hubble Completes 100,000 Orbit, Takes Yet Another Breathtaking Photo.
Motherboard Walls. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Solid Snake Gets Fingered.
Hummer Badlands: Best Avoided By Everyone On Earth.
Tour of Bob Sagets House.
Follow-ups: Bigfoot Trackers Say They've Got a Body. Thanks CiKoTiC.
The Greater the Threat, the Hotter the Chili. Thanks j.c.f.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 10:27 xXBatmanXx

But at the end, you get the cake AND the companion cube.

YOU ARE A TARD MR.ENAHS!

Yes I am, but no you do not.
Where you not listening when they said the cake is a lie? It is not a real cake, it is a trick.

Besides, you as the player end up outside of the facility, and the cake is in the bowels of the facility. So how do you get it, exactly?
Just delusions from your ordeal.

Pathetic Enahs!

The cake is NOT a lie - but it is in another castle....

(haven't you seen the vid of the cake in the facility - it is hard to get to - but it is in the same building the whole time!)

The cause of all these evils was the lust for power arising from greed and ambition; and from these passions proceeded the violence of parties once engaged in contention.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 23:25 Enahs

Fingerprints and such for security is stupid as hell.

While I like the MythBusters, they are not exactly great scientist, they where able to beat plenty of fingerprinte readers with copies of fingerprints printed on an ink jet printer!

Secondly, all kinds of companies are pushing for this kind of stuff to become the standard for security and identification. No. Hell no. There is already enough identity theft in the world. If someone does steal your fingerprint, your security has been compromised for life. Which is just stupid as hell.

Just a stupid idea all around that only belongs in movies.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 23:25.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

48. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 23:00 banddirector

No, none of you can have my fingers or toes, you sick bastards ...

The fingerprint reader is just a prompt to auto-fill in logins and passwords - - which you can still do manually if you choose. Apparently the accompanying software is supposed to encrypt files as well, but I haven't figured out how to make that part work. What I really wanted to encrypt was some .doc files, but Word has a feature for that, so all I use the fingerprint reader (so far) is for auto-fill of the fields.

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

47. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 22:36 Kxmode

3 pages and I still don't know what you guys are discussing. Maybe I'm just famished and need something to eat. Tacos? Yeah... totally! *thumbs up*

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

46. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 20:57 PHJF

But GLADOS gives you the *recipe* for the cake, so that the entire world can experience just how true the cake really is.

In this case the problem lies in definition: what is defined as *THE* cake? We are never explicitly told what cake is a lie, only that "the" cake is a lie. We can't derive any conclusions when the variable is undefined.

NO SOLUTION.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

45. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 20:02 Enahs

YOU ARE A TARD MR.ENAHS!

Yes I am, but no you do not.
Where you not listening when they said the cake is a lie? It is not a real cake, it is a trick.

Besides, you as the player end up outside of the facility, and the cake is in the bowels of the facility. So how do you get it, exactly?
Just delusions from your ordeal.

- W. C. Fields

44. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:58 The Half Elf

YOU ARE A TARD MR.ENAHS!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

43. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:40 Enahs

People said the cake is a lie. But not being able to prove the cake ever existed is not the counterpoint to proving it does exists.

Therefor, there are two theories you can conclude when playing Portal.

The cake is really a lie because you are told it is a lie.
The cake is not a lie, it is warm, soft, moist and wonderfully delicious, and was baked by a cat in a box with radiation from one atom, the baking time was about an hour half of the time; but then a crazy half human half monkey half banana stole the cake and blew it up in this "big bang" as you might call it. And so, no cake for you.

I just sorta skimmed the thread, does that about cover it?

- W. C. Fields

42. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:34 Mr. Tact

Well said, Blue. Thank you.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

41. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 16:54  Blue 

When the average numbnut uses "theory" they really mean "hypothesis".

I think this observation cuts right to the heart of the issue. From the United States National Academy of Sciences, by way of Wikipedia:

Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature that is supported by many facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

40. No subject Aug 14, 2008, 16:52 Cabezone

Ah yes my favorite "God is real". This shit is too complex without MAGIC!!!!!  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

39. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 16:49 deadgoon

If some jackass actually said to my face that Evolution is "just a theory", I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself from slapping them across the face.

Looks like the intarweps is getting a collective slap...
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/

38. Re: Science Quiz is Bullsh.. Aug 14, 2008, 16:47 deadgoon

Narf, you're crazy.

37. No subject Aug 14, 2008, 16:44 Cabezone

If some jackass actually said to my face that Evolution is "just a theory", I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself from slapping them across the face.

Some of you folks need to pick up a middle school science textbook and maybe take some notes. I think the main problem is the way the word is used in common language. When the average numbnut uses "theory" they really mean "hypothesis".

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 16:47.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

36. Re: Science Quiz is Bullsh.. Aug 14, 2008, 16:43 Narf2029

Yes, it is only theory as supported by observation and study. A theory is not a definite fact, but neither is it immediately wrong. Think of a theory as a summary - it's a lot easier to condense a theory down to one or two sentences than to explain the decades of research and study that goes into them, every time someone asks. A theory is credible because of all that research and study - if I were to theorize that the grass is green because it is full of green blood, my theory would be proven wrong as soon as I cut a blade of grass and observed that it did not bleed. After collecting all the facts from cutting up my grass, I can form a new theory and then test it. Then when those new facts are gathered, I form yet another new theory and test that, and I keep going and going until I have a theory that holds up to testing and scrutiny. There is nothing wrong with something being "just" a theory - theories are how facts are learned. "I think this is how it will work - now, let's test it and find out if I'm right."

Call me crazy, but from reading your comments you seem a lot more religious than scientific. You don't want Big Bang or Evolution discussed because they are not absolute truths - science is not the pre-existence of truth, it is the search for fact. What if I don't want God discussed because there are few/no facts to prove his existence? That would be ridiculous because who knows if or when evidence may present itself? The only way Big Bang and Evolution can reach a final state of factuality is by discussing and/or testing them, a lot. Just like any other scientific theory or principle. I wonder if discussions and rants like these occurred in the early days of thermodynamics?

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 16:46.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

35. Re: an update about logitech G9 Aug 14, 2008, 16:39 shul

Well, I guess the answer is I had MX500 :-)

Anyway, not @ home now, so I'll check for a solution later

34. Re: Science Quiz is Bullsh.. Aug 14, 2008, 16:29 deadgoon

I was thinking something more along the lines of "brain dead" or "just plain stupid", but I'll settle for "crazy."

The big bang theory. Only THEORY. did someone observe it? No. Evolution? Just a theory. Adaptation != Evolution

33. Re: Science Quiz is Bullsh.. Aug 14, 2008, 16:00 Narf2029

Fucking theory mongers, always trying to push education and intelligence on people... Years ago, we finally figured out that you could separate fact from superstition by a completely radical method: observation. You can try things, measure them, and see how they work!  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

32. Re: Science Quiz is Bullsh.. Aug 14, 2008, 15:19 Mr. Tact

Call me crazy but until you can give me DEFINITIVE proof those questions should be stricken from that test.
I was thinking something more along the lines of "brain dead" or "just plain stupid", but I'll settle for "crazy."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: re: fingerprint reader Aug 14, 2008, 15:15 deadgoon

Usually is used in combination with something else - in our case, an access card. In a computers case, usually (hopefully) a password as well.

I wouldn't trust that S for anything. Print scanners are a joke.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo