Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online FAQ

A new FAQ on the Star Trek Online Official Website offers info on Cryptic's upcoming MMORPG, covering topics like PvP, economics, your ability to take another role in addition to Captain (dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, I can't run a starship!), playing with friends, and a bit that reveals the game may support cross-platform play for PC and console players:

Will console and PC players be on the same servers?
We would like that to be the case. There is nothing technologically keeping us from making it so.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Seriously? Aug 13, 2008, 18:09 The Half Elf

Well for example Siege Warfare was in the game and 'worked'. Did it work well Again I didn't partake it in but from what I heard it didn't work as well as was intended. But the feature was in there.

As for Direct X 10 Support, sorry nowhere on my boxed copy do I see it listed. Then again being in the beta I knew for quite a while that it wasn't being shipped with the game.

Tumbler I wouldn't call it blindness, as I no longer play it (hence why I had 'play' or 'played' which is past tense). Did I enjoy parts of the game? Yep, but overall the game is very lackluster after Tortage. Will I come back to Age of Conan? Sure, if Funcom can do what it did with Anarchy Online to Age of Conan, I'll defiantly be coming back.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. schyea right Aug 13, 2008, 16:58 natx

"There is nothing technologically keeping us from making it so."

AKA - the game hasn't been written so their is nothing keeping them from making it that way. Like someone else said don't believe the hype.

Once they realize the can of worms they opened it will be shelved.

16. console Aug 13, 2008, 15:22 Kxmode

We would like that to be the case. There is nothing technologically keeping us from making it so.

Many Xbox 360s don't have a standard hard drive. PlayStation 3 shipped with a standard hard drive, but lacks the market share to justify a PS3-only MMO (3rd behind Wii and Xbox 360). Lowest common denominator basically dictates that a MMO cannot really exist on today's consoles.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

15. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 14:51 Ecthelion

Dan: Yep, wasn't it a medical ship?
Yeah, and before that she sometimes took command of the ship (when she was on watch, for example). Worf did the same thing with the Defiant. He was never shown as a full-blown Captain though, even in the future. I guess they're thinking of the Captain role and not the Captain rank. I don't think you can really say Worf became a "ship captain" when he never had command of his own ship.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 14:54.

14. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 13:07 Bhruic

All of the features that Funcom promised did in fact ship in the retail version of the game.

Really. So I'm sure you can point me to the DX10 client that was listed on the box. Oh, wait, you can't, since they haven't released one yet.

And that's only one of a long list of features that were promised that still aren't in the game.

13. Seriously? Aug 13, 2008, 12:24 Tumbler

All of the features that Funcom promised did in fact ship in the retail version of the game. Did they work as intended? From what I've heard not quite all of it did so.

You give Funcom credit for delivering features that don't work!? Are you kidding me?! That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

If the features don't work, why would you consider them something that was in the game as advertised? They might as well not be there if they don't work!

If I agreed to paint your house and went to each wall and applied one brush stroke and then left, would you be satisfied that I had painted your house but the job didn't come out as intended?!

I am laughing my ass off at your comments. This is just willful blindness. Everything is great, everything is great, everything is great. LOL.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 11:33 Mr. Tact

I believe so, but I'm not certain. It could also be referring to the actual series. Late in the series there's an episode when you find out she sometimes pulls the third shift as "Captain". It's necessary for her to keep her "bridge rating" IIRC. I also believe she is put in charge of the Enterprise in one of the Lore/Borg episodes.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 10:51 InBlack

All of the features that Funcom promised did in fact ship in the retail version of the game

You know if you really really believe in something hard enough it becomes true.

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 10:33 The Half Elf

I play AoC or played AoC? I'm not sure so why don't YOU tell ME.

All of the features that Funcom promised did in fact ship in the retail version of the game. Did they work as intended? From what I've heard not quite all of it did so.

As for cross platform MMO games, honestly I have never heard of one except maybe Final Fantasy Online allowing cross platform play.
Granted there have been several companies that have suggested it (Sony with The Agency, Cryptic with Marvel Online, and Funcom with Age of Conan), but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

I don't blame you for being bitter, I blame you for 'going off the deep end' and flailing your arms in the air and screaming 'IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!' because you decided to read something take it out of context, put your own spin on it and THEN get 'bitter'.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 10:18 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 09:07 InBlack

My mistake I had no idea that Everquest came out on the PS2, and I have never heard of Phantasy Star Online.

Do they feature cross platform play?

Oh and BTW since I know for a fact that you play Age of Conan, didnt FUNCOM promise a very big number of features
that never made it into the release?

Since when did it become acceptable for developers to outright lie to their consumers? I got burned, so dont blame me for being bitter, but for now I prefer a wait and see approach.

7. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 08:43 The Half Elf

And how many MMO's out there have cross platform play InBlack?

And I guess The PS2 version of Everquest, or Phantasy Star Online have been non-existent as well?

'Liking it to be' and 'having it be' are 2 different things. I don't know what's worse InBlack, fanboi's who hype the shit out of everything that is read out of context or the end of the world types that also read everything out of context?

6. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 08:22 InBlack

Will console and PC players be on the same servers?

Considering the fact that cross-platform play has so far had epic failure written on it in nearly every game that promised it, and the fact that I have yet to see a console MMO. Im pretty sure that particular Q&A is a complete and utter fabrication, which in turn makes me doubt the entire Q&A.

In other words: Believe the hype and you will get burned, just like with every other half-assed MMO.

5. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 08:07 Slink

Bah, you can't believe that. Never trust Q!

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

4. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 07:27 Dan =0)

Beverly Crusher was a captain of a ship? Wha...?

In the final TNG episode she is, in a "future" timeline.

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

3. Re: ... Aug 13, 2008, 07:23 Slink

From the FAQ:
Consider Jean-Luc Picard, Beverly Crusher, Worf and Kathryn Janeway. Picard was an archeologist and diplomat, Crusher was a doctor, Worf a security/tactical officer, and Janeway was a scientist. Each eventually chose a career in command and became ship captains.

[nerd]

Beverly Crusher was a captain of a ship? Wha...?

[/nerd]

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)
This comment was edited on Aug 13, 07:26.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

2. ... Aug 13, 2008, 00:52 theyarecomingforyou

I'm quite impressed with the direction of the game so far, especially considering that it's quite early into development. The art direction is very good, even if the graphics aren't revolutionary.

As for the FAQ, I think it's interesting that they haven't ruled out cross-platform gameplay (could work either way, ignoring unfounded complaints of "dumbing it down" for consoles) and haven't even decided on whether it's going to be a pay-monthly game (though it seems likely). It's also good that they're looking to have everyone playing on the same server. I absolutely love Star Trek and this has potential but I'm not going to get my hopes too high... I never got into WOW or any other MMORPG (other than Guild Wars, which doesn't really count), so it remains to be seen whether this will be any different.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. Screenshots Aug 13, 2008, 00:18 Tumbler

Looking at those screenshots of the ships in space makes me very pleased with the appearance of the game so far.

Please, please, please, for the love of god make the interface for the game look as close to those screenshots as possible. Less is more.

Please do not fill the screen with shield bars, and hull/armor bars special attacks, find some way to keep space beautiful. This was something Eve online was able to do even though they still have a ton of info on screen, but you can turn it all off.

Pirates of the Burning Sea had some amazing screenshots but then when you played the game it was monstrously ugly in comparison. Don't do that.

I want what you're showing in those screenshots. I want clean open space to gaze at.

Edit: Just watched the trailer and hot damn that looks good. I want it, now. Keep up the good work!

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 00:26.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo