Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bionic Commando & PhysX

Capcom & GRIN announce the upcoming release of Bionic Commando (not to be confused with the even more imminent release of Bionic Commando Rearmed) will include NVIDIA PhysX for cross-platform physics support:

SANTA CLARA, CA—AUGUST 11, 2008—CAPCOM Co., Ltd., GRIN Entertainment, and NVIDIA® Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the world leader in visual computing technologies, today jointly announced that CAPCOM’s upcoming Bionic Commando video game will use GPU-accelerated NVIDIA PhysX™ technology to enhance the game’s debris, smoke, dust, and weapon effects. Bionic Commando, which will be released by GRIN in early 2009, is one of many titles to take advantage of NVIDIA PhysX technology, interactive entertainment’s most pervasive physics engine.

“CAPCOM is extremely excited to work with GRIN to bring the world-class franchise of Bionic Commando into the 21st century,” said Ben Judd, producer of Bionic Commando at CAPCOM. “CAPCOM has also always been strong partners with NVIDIA and with Bionic Commando we are taking things to a new level by adding GPU-accelerated PhysX to increase the title’s realism.”

“Physics is changing the industry. We evaluated all of the commercial physics systems out there for gaming, and the choice was easy,” said Bo Andersson, CEO at GRIN Entertainment. “NVIDIA PhysX runs faster than other solutions and it works across PCs and consoles, which is important to us because Bionic Commando will ship on all major platforms. We believe PhysX will help make the game seem even more lifelike and immersive.”

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2008, 15:36 sponge

I'm for anything that increases the immersiveness of games. Not enough to buy a $200 addon card for it, but enough that I'd be interested if it's integrated in a video card.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 23:48 Beaner

The video for the game looked pretty interesting. Not the typical FPS. PhysX or not I'll give it a whirl.

12. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 20:55 WaltC

CAPCOM’s upcoming Bionic Commando video game will use GPU-accelerated NVIDIA PhysX™ technology to enhance the game’s debris, smoke, dust, and weapon effects

'Kay, there's your "physics": "enhancing the debris, smoke, dust, and weapons effects." Wowee...;) I'm afraid this is yet another condescending appeal to "3d gamers" who are thought to be seriously attracted, captivated, and seduced by lots of loud noises, bright colors, and general *crap* flying every-which-way on the screen...;) It was sort of refreshing, though, not to see "hail" mentioned here.

Yep, that's what I really have missed about 3d games prior to the advent of "nVidia PhysX technology"--a lot more debris, smoke, dust, weapons effects and *hail*--oh, yes, I'm a sucker for lots and lots of tiny white balls of ice falling from the sky in sheets so thick that I can't see ten feet ahead of me! It's nirvana, I tell you!...:D

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

11. ... Aug 11, 2008, 13:58 theyarecomingforyou

It's good to see games supporting hardware physics... it's just a shame this game looks terrible. Actually, I think Bionic Commando Rearmed looks much better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 13:54 Bhruic

GPU-accelerated NVIDIA PhysX™ technology to enhance the game’s debris, smoke, dust, and weapon effects

Great, more visuals. Wake me when they use PhysX to improve game AI - then you'll have a real story.

9. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 13:23 Krovven

http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=90092

I have no problem admitting when I make an error. Even did so in the related thread last week.

But I do have a problem with hacks like Derek Smart telling everyone how wrong they are and how right he is and won't even entertain that someone elses outlook on things could be correct too.

PS: Sorry Blue for the "personal attack" on Derek, half expected you to edit it. But from my perspective, he had it coming.

----------------------------------------------------
Civilization Revolution, Grand Theft Auto IV, GRID

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Aug 11, 13:25.

8. Amusing Thread Aug 11, 2008, 13:15 Tumbler

Heh, this is a pretty amusing thread so far.

I'm looking forward to Bionic Commando on the 360. The little movie clips impressed me, not enough to buy the game, it's a rental, but it should be a fun ride.

I think I'll be buying the Bionic Commando Rearmed XBLA game. I want to try the demo but I'm almost sold on it.

The whole battle between PhysX and Havoc seems to be leaning towards Havoc. I only say that because I see Havoc's splash screen on the front of more games.

But I haven't seen a major game on either consoles or PC's that really makes me say...HOLY SHIT...with regard to physics modeling in game. I think it's a resource hog in most cases and it's impractical to include in games unless you just have a ton of CPU to spare.

I'd love to see more physics modeling in games though. (on the scale of that crysis video that was rendered frame by frame) I think the Unreal tourny 3 patch was coming right? Anyone seen that? Physics modeling looks and sounds great, but making the games run well enough to have it built into everything is another story.

Hopefully the next gen of consoles will consider a dedicated physics chip or at least an extra core on the processor to run physics calculations.

Maybe the PS3 will develop some tools to make this possible.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 13:15  Blue 

Though i could have swore tht was not there before.. *sigh*..

Sorry, can't help you there, that note was part of this post all along.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 13:05 SamuraiSaint

ok so that does make me an idiot.

Though i could have swore tht was not there before.. *sigh*..

Hey if you are an idiot admit it.

5. Re: Nobody going to use it? Aug 11, 2008, 12:58 Krovven

The swing mechanics are exactly like the 2D NES game.

Well seeing as you about as stupid...

Did you read the news story, at all? Maybe read the part where Blue makes it very clear this is about the NEW Bionic Commando game, not Rearmed.

Apparently ass-kissing Derek Smart doesn't make you any brighter.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

4. Re: Nobody going to use it? Aug 11, 2008, 12:57 jAkUp

Wrong.

Look at the videos, there are plenty of physics effects, mainly the ragdoll physics.

3. Re: Nobody going to use it? Aug 11, 2008, 12:51 SamuraiSaint

Did you watch any of the "making of" mini documentaries on this game? The swing mechanics are exactly like the 2D NES game. There are no physics of any import at play in this game at all.

Just because some developer makes a deal with Nvidia so they can market the only feature (on paper) that makes them more interesting than the new Radeons does not actually mean that the game is *using* hardware physics for anything meaningful.

But yeah totally, You are a freakin Genius and Derek Smart is a total idiot. You get your info from a press release and Smart gets his from Developer relations and actually making a game.

Wow, I bow to your incredible intellectual capacities...

2. Nobody going to use it? Aug 11, 2008, 12:40 Krovven

So is this the part that Derek Smart tells us all that PhysX won't be used, doesn't have game support and doesn't give developers options?

I guess I'm too much of a "pompous asshole" to be right eh Derek?

Fucking hack.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

1. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 12:35 Overon

I am skeptical about the difference between physx and non physx accelerated gameplay content and its impact on performance.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo