Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Facts

The Star Trek Online Fact Sheet on Binge Gamer (thanks N4G) anthologizes all the revelations from yesterday's unveiling of Star Trek Online at the Trek Convention in Sin City. What we know includes that players are all Star Fleet or Klingon ship captains in the game (I so wanted to be ensign redshirt) and that the game launch sooner than you think (though no stardate is specified), but a number of other revelations are outlined in the fact sheet.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. ... Aug 11, 2008, 19:05 theyarecomingforyou

This is the problem with in-breds. They have no frigging clue wtf they're talking about.
Hmmmmkay.

In your case, you're special since you never - ever - post anything worthy of response.
And all you do is promote your terrible, terrible games. You accuse Cryptic of not being able to deliver on what they have promised - a very serious accusation and ludicrous considering how little we know about the game - and then have the cheek to state that you have it "easy" with your upcoming game. Arrogance to the extreme. STO is so far beyond anything you've produced it's a laughable. When you want to quit playing the jester perhaps we can continue this discussion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 18:57 Slink

I'm pretty sure that inside your ship is going to be an instance, along with planetside. I'm sure what your bridge crew is made up of will give you bonuses during space flight, but you probably won't literally "see" them.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

23. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 15:31  dsmart 

I also imagine the planets would be instanced and would not be in the same engine/map as space. Your ship would be only a SHIP in space. Your crew etc. would simply be data in a database. No worries of collision detection/AI for virtually non existant things such as crew in space.

Wrong on all points. You might want to go back and read what exactly they've said. Then look at the trailer again. It is highly unlikely that they would have the player NPC crew as pets, then only have them available when deployed on planets. If they do that, then its rubbish already.

http://www.bingegamer.net/index.php/2008/star-trek-online-details/

From what they've said, it appears as if they want to model the ship (inside) and crew both in space (in-ship) and on planets (deployed).

You know, they have to move past the flight dynamics and control scheme first. Not to mention the space<->planetary transition.

@theyarecomingforyou

So your shitty little company can do it but a massive one with the full support of the Star Trek franchise behind it can't? Give me a break.

This is the problem with in-breds. They have no frigging clue wtf they're talking about. In your case, you're special since you never - ever - post anything worthy of response. In fact, I have no clue why I'm even responding.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 15:34.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

22. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 14:43 Cutter

Cryptic is incapable of making great games. Everytyhing they do isn't bad, but it ain't great either. They do some things exceedingly well, art direction, mechanics, et al. But the actual gameplay (read: content) itself is always mediocre at best.

Star Trek Online: Bound for Failure

Did you notice they've already screwed up the intro in the film, where the announcer says "to seek out new lifeforms". If they can't even get the canon right, what do you really expect for the game?

"I couldn't stay away. Curse your rockin' tits!"
- Gerald Broflovski

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. ... Aug 11, 2008, 14:31 theyarecomingforyou

Another MMO based on a virtually dead sci fi property. What do you think the chances of failure are?
Virtually dead? Please. There's a new film coming out next year and it's only a matter of time until we see a new series.

We have it easy with our 2010 game, KnightBlade in that we already have all the technologies (most were recently built from the ground up), expertise, worlds, feature set etc - so adding another layer (in-ship levels) was a no-brainer.
So your shitty little company can do it but a massive one with the full support of the Star Trek franchise behind it can't? Give me a break.

Yes, I took that into consideration already and it is still and insurmountable task for an MMO. Even with three of your crew, thats FOUR instanced characters per player. On a server with, say, 5000 players, thats....well, do the math.
We have no idea how it's going to work, so prophesying its failure is premature.

I'm sure that in their anxious excitement to acquire the IP, Cryptic didn't have time to fully understand the gravity of what they were getting into.
Yeah, I'm sure they scribbled their hastily written business plan on the back of a napkin and just winged the whole thing. Muppet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 14:22 Skullguise

Most MMOs allow you to summon pets. Not much difference there, the Capt and his away team = a necro and his minions. I certainly wouldn't go calling foul on that point.

I also imagine the planets would be instanced and would not be in the same engine/map as space. Your ship would be only a SHIP in space. Your crew etc. would simply be data in a database. No worries of collision detection/AI for virtually non existant things such as crew in space.

19. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2008, 13:36  dsmart 

@Hump

I would think that they would emulate the series and only use 3-6 crew members per outing (or "away-team" for you philistine Next Gen phoney's). I don't think they'll be allowing anymore than the system can handle.

Yes, I took that into consideration already and it is still and insurmountable task for an MMO. Even with three of your crew, thats FOUR instanced characters per player. On a server with, say, 5000 players, thats....well, do the math.

My guess is that they're not going to do the internal ship levels justice either because apart from it being a major undertaking, they would have to keep track of personnel in the ship and outside in the game world.

Speaking of the game world, modeling a city and open world terrain in am MMO is one thing. Doing it multi-level (indoor, external space, external planet, first person planet) is a whole ball of wax.

We have it easy with our 2010 game, KnightBlade in that we already have all the technologies (most were recently built from the ground up), expertise, worlds, feature set etc - so adding another layer (in-ship levels) was a no-brainer. But we still have to model an entire battleship with over 100 NPC crew members. In real time. Unlike our previous games wereby the NPC crew were tracked using a simple 2D interface, being there is a whole other level of complexity.

I'm looking forward to it though. They can't botch it any worse that Sony did with SWG.

Indeed

You know now that I think of it I bet CCP would do an awesome job with the IP?

Please don't joke around like that. Unless you want a severe beating.

For one thing, CCP doing something like STO would mean (a) going back to the drawing board (b) developing a seamless space<->planetary traversal engine (they still don't have a planetary engine). Then you have to add an indoor rendering engine to that.

Guys, this is no easy task. Make no mistake about it. I'm sure that in their anxious excitement to acquire the IP, Cryptic didn't have time to fully understand the gravity of what they were getting into. Once the initial excitement wears off in and reality sinks in, you will see that the game they're announcing now, will be radically different from the one they end up with.

But yeah, it would take a collosal screw up for them to come up with the likes of the SWG clusterfuck.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

18. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 13:02 space captain

Every Ship Captain (aka your character) will have a specialty, much like games like WoW have character classes. You will be able to specialize in things such as “Diplomacy”,

so apparently it is going to be part of the game - but i wonder how they implement something like that

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: STO Aug 11, 2008, 12:50 Slink

1000 players + crew = slideshow

As much as it pains me to say this, I think what they're going to have to do is make Away Missions instanced like they did with missions in CoH/CoV.

I'm pretty sure the players' ships will be they same way. They said that the default view will be behind your ship. So, if you want to walk around I assume you would just hit a button and you would load into an instance of your ship. Not as seamless as I would like, but acceptable since I think it'd be the only real way to do it.
- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)
This comment was edited on Aug 11, 12:56.

My Steam Community link:

16. Re: STO Aug 11, 2008, 12:48 WebDemon

Post rethought. Don't feed the troll. Must not feed...

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 13:19.

15. Re: CCP? Aug 11, 2008, 12:46 Slink

CCP? Yeah right. If they were behind this, they'd be sure that the fleets THEY were in were being led by the damn Enterprise itself!

- - - - - -

My Steam Community link:

14. Re: CCP? Aug 11, 2008, 12:44 mOOzilla

CCP = The Con ComPany

Don't ya love it when Valve as so full of geniuses they don't have a fail over for Steam. Everything is in the same LOCATION and its all down now due to a storm. Talk about the height of stupidity.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 12:45.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

13. CCP? Aug 11, 2008, 12:27 Techie714 ©

You know now that I think of it I bet CCP would do an awesome job with the IP?

R.I.P George Carlin 1937-2008

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12. Re: STO Aug 11, 2008, 12:25  Blue 

I would think that they would emulate the series and only use 3-6 crew members per outing...

Spock, Bones... Ensign Redshirt, meet me in the transporter room!

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 12:25.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Re: STO Aug 11, 2008, 12:18 Hump

Now I can't wait to see how they handle an MMO in which a player - and his pets - all decide to beam to a planet surface. 1000 players + crew = slide show.

I would think that they would emulate the series and only use 3-6 crew members per outing (or "away-team" for you philistine Next Gen phoney's). I don't think they'll be allowing anymore than the system can handle.

I'm looking forward to it though. They can't botch it any worse that Sony did with SWG.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. Re: STO Aug 11, 2008, 11:41  dsmart 

OK, so the player - as a capt. will have his crew (simulated like pets, LMAO!!). Right. Now I can't wait to see how they handle an MMO in which a player - and his pets - all decide to beam to a planet surface. 1000 players + crew = slide show.

And if the player's ship is a 'level', not only do they have to "move" that whole hulk through space & planets, they have to handle AI, collision detect, pathfinding, audio, networking etc - the whole time.

My guess is that before they get to year two of development, 90% of what they have now revealed, will be scrapped. Much like how Perpetual first started out with their lofty goals.

Since nobody has the experience to do something like this at Cryptic, they won't only be re-inventing the wheel, they'll be learning as they go along. This is going to be like a flight sim developer moving to develop an RPG.

I am however rooting for them though.

9. STO Aug 11, 2008, 11:34 Tumbler

Speaking at a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas tonight, Cryptic creative lead Jack Emmert failed to put a release date on Star Trek Online, but said it’s going to be sooner than you think.

He joked that the game would be out sooner than three years, and said Cryptic had the technology set up to deliver the title relatively quickly thanks to work on City of Heroes and Champions Online.

I'm wondering how long they can afford to wait at this point. With the hype they've built up around this I hope they aren't planning on going back into development for another 2+ years...

I'd love to see it come out this holiday season or shortly after, but christmas 09 is about as long as I can stand with a game like this. Any later than that and I'll just write it off as "when it gets here" stuff.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. No subject Aug 11, 2008, 11:01 Wallshadows

Why is the game aimed at all ages, this will attract immature players that will ruin the gaming experience, constant ganking, poor unrealistic ground battles *no blood with bladed weapons*, unreliable fleet members and so on
So it's like 90% of the MMO out there.

What do you think the chances of failure are?
Abdul says 32.333, repeating of course.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 11:05.

7. Re: Well See Aug 11, 2008, 10:50 Overon

Another MMO based on a virtually dead sci fi property. What do you think the chances of failure are?

6. Re: Well See Aug 11, 2008, 10:14 The Half Elf

Bullet it doesn't matter age wise who the game is aimed at, idiot children with their parents credit card WILL get into the game.

Graphics wise, I think the game looks fine with the exception of the Everquest 2 'plastic' looking models. And personally wish they would have stuck to using Perpetual's Starfleet uniforms.
And have you EVER played WoW? The ground effects looking nothing alike except for that god aweful foliage popin.

Release Date wise.. I hope they take all the time they need to make it work and be true to Star Trek. But if you actually watch the video he says 3 to 4 years. Please tell me your not stupid enough to read into fanboy rumors, instead of an official statement on it?

I guess what is sorta strange is they showed off more gameplay and talked more about STO, then they have EVER released about Champions Online, and it's coming in April.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo