Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Divine Divinity 2: Ego Draconis Revealed

The Larian Studios Website officially announces Divine Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (thanks Gamer's Hell), though they already revealed the name of the Divine Divinity sequel in teasing it would be unveiled at the Leipzig Games Convention (story), which begins August 20. They point the way to Computer and Video Games where there are some screenshots and a video along with some brief thoughts on the project, and to an article about the RPG sequel on Tom's Games that's far more extensive, but is in French. They also offer to let folks try out the game, but this requires being in the vicinity of Oudenaarde (Belgium). Update: A Divine Divinity 2 teaser website is now live, and wile there's nothing much there right now, it points the way to the Larian Studios forums, which have a new Divinity 2 section.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2008, 07:36 dryden555

Hey Spacey, sorry not to see your missive. You're a bit cranky.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 07:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 13:59 Tomas

DD was a pretty fun game. A few bugs (my main game the first time got "stuck" and I did give up before the end) but I really enjoyed it up until the show stopper. It's definitely not as polished as say Diablo 2, but it's got a lot more meat to it. I'm pretty sure you can pick it up in a bargain bin for under 10 bucks which is a pretty good deal if you like RPGs.

24. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 11:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow. Wonder how I managed to miss DD... Looks pretty cool to me. Gonna go grab the demo and see if I like it...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 11:25 rist3903

Capital idea.

22. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 11:22 space captain

see, Blue has his monocle on right

now lets go powder our noses and play some violin

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 09:26  Blue 

yes but there already was a sequel to DD and it was an unfortunate bugfest. Called Beyond Divinity.

This may be splitting hairs, but I don't think that was considered a true Divine Divinity sequel. Beyond Divinity used the same engine as DD and was characterized as an RPG set in the same universe, which probably makes it closer to a standalone expansion than a sequel.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 09:20 space captain

No one here at Blue's seems to mention that a sequel already exists. Avoid Beyond Divinity if you can.

hey sherlock, i mentioned it in the very first comment on here

its elementary, dude

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 07:50 InBlack

If they make Divine Divinity 2 a complete cRPG, with customisable classes it will definitely be quite promising.

If on the other hand they stick you with one character, or one class (like in the Witcher) I will give it a pass, as that is something I dont like to see in RPGs.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 06:58 dryden555

yes but there already was a sequel to DD and it was an unfortunate bugfest. Called Beyond Divinity. I should know I bought it after enjoying DD quite a bit. Even if the bugs were fixed, some very poor gameplay changes were made versus the first game. No one here at Blue's seems to mention that a sequel already exists. Avoid Beyond Divinity if you can.

17. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 04:27 Ludomancer

Divine Divinity always reminded me more of Ultima 7, with the NPCs having their own schedules, a free-roaming world, day/night cycles, lots of places to poke your nose into. They marketed it as a Diablo clone and I never really understood why other than it was the only other most recent, similar game.
Either way, always felt calling it Diablo actually did it an injustice, as Divinity is much more of an RPG, whereas Diablo is just an action game with leveling, really.

16. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 04:10 space captain

thats what im sayin tho - its not a hack-n-slash game.. its just that the combat plays out like that (kinda, you only click once to start swinging sword, but arrows and fireballs are clickity click)..

DD is a full-on RPG - completely different than Diablo in scope and implementation, which was more of an action game with RPG elements for your character

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: just play it Aug 8, 2008, 03:58 InBlack

Ive seen this game ages ago on a friends computer, and I remember that it somehow looked a bit weird. I dunno. Diablo 1 and 2 looked natural to me, and in DD the art style was more....how do I put it, fairy tale like? Yeah exactly its a bit more high fantasy than Diablo1, 2. That was kind of offputting, along with the fact that it was single player only, hack and slash games should have multiplayer components by default. Oh and the loot dropped like crazy if I remember correctly.

Maybe I will give it a go...hmmm...

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 03:58.

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: just play it Aug 8, 2008, 03:20 PHJF

ohhh.... and holy crapballs at those screenshots. They've gone all 3D on us!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: just play it Aug 8, 2008, 03:17 PHJF

I've put a ton of time into DD. Gameplay as the sole factor, it's exactly like Diablo. 2D Isometric dungeon crawling, blasting arrows and fireballs and hacking at shit with a sword until you level up and get phat loot.

It differs from Diablo in that:

It's a (NON RANDOM) giant non-linear world and you can go wherever you please at any time.

It has no online play.

There are no predefined character classes: you can put skills into anything from any tree.

It is from Europe, so it shouldn't be a shock that the game has some pretty glaring QA issues and problems with production. But as far as hack n' slash games go, DD was a very good one. It also had startlingly appropriate music. It had a very good sandbox feel to it, as I found myself wandering around Morrowind-style uncovering crazy sidequests and things.

Beyond Divinity, the followup, was pretty universally panned, forsaking most all the positive aspects of its predecessor.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. just play it Aug 8, 2008, 02:36 space captain

its like diablo in a couple of ways, i guess.. the only really big one that comes to mind is the Loot system - which is very much like diablo.. the character advancement system is also vaguely similiar - but all classes can learn all skills/traits/powers etc... you can be a battle mage or a thiefly warrior, etc. etc.

iirc the dungeons/crypts/etc. are generated randomly with each new game (as in the whole story) - could be wrong on that

occaisionally you get swarmed by enemies, and it can feel diablo-ish

other than that it is completely NOT like diablo.. its got tons of side quests, dialog reminds me of Baldurs Gate (IMO a very satisfying system).. you can use and combine objects (cooking recipes, potions, etc.) like the old Ultima games

also the characters react to you in a believable way, for the most part.. if they see you steal, they will try to bust you - if they dont, they wont know .. things like this

IMHO the best isometric RPG since Arcanum

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 02:33 Cram

Jerykk -- Yes, DD did. But understand that DD came out way before the Witcher did, so that moral choice system is not as advanced as the Witchers. DD2, however, seems to be insane with the moral choice system.

10. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 02:31 Jerykk

I liked The Witcher because it had lots of ambiguous moral choices with long-term consequences. Does DD have those?

9. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 02:21 Cram

That's really hard to answer. Yes and no. It's similar to Diablo, yet completely different in so many ways. I honestly can not give you a more specific answer. Maybe Space Captain can?

Edit: I'll try. Divine Divinity:

Similarities:

Hack'n'slash Dungeon Crawler
Random Loot System

Pros:

-Better story
-Prettier graphics (better than D1 and D2)
-Music and sound, far superior IMO to D1 and D2
-WAY larger explorable world compared to D1 and D2 (combined)
-To beat DD, it actually takes more than 2-4 hrs (time it takes to beat D2 from scratch). I'd estimate 30-40hrs.
-More like The Witcher than Diablo, overall.

Cons:

- When I played it through a couple times in 2003, there were a few bugs that slowed things down, crashing etc.
- Minor spoiler: very final area of the game rather anti-climactic.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 02:29.

8. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 02:13 Jerykk

you havent played DD so im sure you know exactly what its like

Hence the question: I've never played Divine Divinity before. Is it like Diablo?

7. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 02:09 space captain

you havent played DD so im sure you know exactly what its like

in other words: play the shit first

Go forth, and kill!

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo