Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Developers On Outsourcing

An Examination of Outsourcing: The Developer Angle on Gamasutra is an enlightening article on the extent to which certain developers make use of outsourcing to help create their games, a practice that is controversial among developers, as some feel this costs western jobs. This looks at the topic from the developer's perspective, talking with folks from three companies that make use of outsourced development: Bungie cofounder Alex Seropian (now of Wideload Games), Kuju Entertainment president Jonathan Newth, and Shiraz Akmal of THQ's XDG group that manages that company's outsourcing efforts. An upcoming part two will look at this from the perspective of the developers doing this outsourced work.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. No subject Aug 8, 2008, 19:50 Tanto Edge

This is funny.
Y'know, going to Turbo Squid for a batch of car models can be called outsourcing, but hey, as long as it matches the theme, right?
Why do you think so many games are realistic in their graphical motif?

Truth is, it's a thousand times easier, quicker and cheaper to simply buy the packages of random objects you need for your game world.

The crew at Valve joked about selling published collections of the thousands of objects they created for their games.

Think about it:
Four artists each making between thirty to sixty thousand a year, cranking ten to twenty complete objects a day or one guy converting and adding collisions to sixty objects a day off of collections you bought for three hundred per 150 objects.
Business vs. Passion/Quality.

All I can say is, Half-Life 2 looks and feels a lot better than a lot of games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Outsourcing Aug 8, 2008, 18:02 Surf

Does cost American jobs, period. We as Americans will pay dearly in the near future by always going to the lowest bidder, rather than taking quality over price.

It's inevitable, we will outsource everything and our job markets will collapse eventually.

4. Re: as some feel this costs western jobs Aug 8, 2008, 12:43 Tigger

There's no 'feel' about it, my Australian Bank Programming job is in Chennai now, thanks EDS

I feel your pain, but if it wasn't for outsourcing I wouldn't have a job.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Grammer
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 12:44.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

3. Re: as some feel this costs western jobs Aug 8, 2008, 11:50 Wildone

The quality sucks. I spent as much time fixing it as I could have spent doin it myself.

2. Re: as some feel this costs western jobs Aug 8, 2008, 08:33 Flo

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103883/  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

1. as some feel this costs western jobs Aug 8, 2008, 07:39 UnderLord

There's no 'feel' about it, my Australian Bank Programming job is in Chennai now, thanks EDS

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo