Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online Interview & Open Letter

The E3 Interview with Mythic's Adam Gershowitz talks with the Associate Art Director on Warhammer Online about the upcoming fantasy-themed MMORPG. Topics include the name change from Mythic to EA Mythic and back again, the content that was cut from the game, and details on what players should expect from the project when it launches. The conversation was recorded, so you can choose to read it or listen to it, or both, if that floats your boat. Meanwhile, there's an open letter from Mark Jacobs on the Vault Network Forums where the Mythic GM discusses today's announcement of a September 18 release date for the project. He discusses the date, subscription pricing, and when the NDA for beta testers will lift, as well as the portions reproduced below, which covers the various editions of the game, open beta testing, and how they interrelate. He also mentions a Preview Weekend, which could possibly end up including some folks who haven't already pre-purchased the game:

3) Regarding the pre-order, Collector’s Edition and the Standard Edition, I’m pleased to announce that we will be holding a special “Preview Weekend” in addition to the normal Open Beta. Those people who pre-ordered the CE will be given priority entrance into the PW. You will need to download the client (of course) from one of several download options, none of which will require any additional payment of any kind. Once the CE buyers have had their chance to register and download the client, we will allow our Closed Beta testers into the PW as well. We would like to have around 100K people load testing and playing the game so depending on how many CE purchasers sign up for this, we will invite other people into the PW as well.

4) Regarding the pre-order, Collector’s Edition and the Standard Edition, we are extending the Head Start for the pre-order CE (not the SE) buyers by at least an additional day as an added thank you for buying our CE. Just as with the PW, no additional fee will be required to play in our Head Start.

5) Regarding the pre-order, Collector’s Edition and the Standard Edition, we are pleased to announce that we will also be inviting our pre-order CE buyers into our Closed Beta test starting next week. There will still be some hardware spec requirements (but they are much lower than our current requirements) since we are still in Closed Beta but we expect that the vast majority of our PO CE buyers will meet the lowered requirements. We gotten a lot of feedback from the community on this point over the last few weeks asking for this and we are now going to make it happen.

6) Regarding the start of OB, we are still working out all the details and when we are 100% locked into a date, we will be happy to confirm it unequivocally. As the history of MMOs has shown, a bad OB can hurt both the long-term and the short-term the success of a game just as surely as a great OB can help the game succeed and we need to make sure that we are ready for OB on the day it begins.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 12:16 Fion

Same here. It is Mythic, the nerf a lot kids. Mr.Jacobs tends to cater to the powergamers too, I don't have much confidence that he knows what he is doing.

Exactly. Anyone that played DAoC more then a free trial knows how nerf happy these guys are. I mean shit they completely changed a few of the classes over the years, the first of which being my beloved Eldritch.

Their games are fun and usually release relatively complete and stable (though DAoC had virtually no worth-while RvR for several months,) but it's what they do after release that turned a LOT of people away. It's to bad because IMHO the melee gameplay is the best around. Classes are for the most part very original and fun to play (even non-melee classes.) The world design is pure genius. The audio is mind blowing. It could have been an amazing game out the gate if they didn't focus so much of their time in beta on just the 1-20 experience. Especially with a leveling curve faster then WoW.

As to AoC, I'm a huge fan of Funcom but IMHO they dropped the ball by spending far far to much time in beta polishing the 1-20 experience and far to little on anything else. I know first impression is huge, and thats why they sold over a million boxes. But when after 20 the level of quality drops off the cliff, you know theres a problem. I'm still playing, and am confident Funcom will fix the issues the game has. But my prospects of it being 'my MMOG' for the next several years are getting less and less likely. It's to bad to because I spent years in AO loving the shit out of it, but then again the industry has matured and I just cant realistically support a modern MMOG with such issues.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 12:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 07:35 InBlack

Hang on, hang on! They are charging for access to the Open Beta???

Then why the fuck is it called Open Beta??? Why would I pay money to Beta test your fucking game, if I wanted to do that Id be playing Age of Conan right now.

Anyway I heard that you can lvl up from lvl 1 to max lvl only through PvP, if that is still true, then this game has definitely potential.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 02:15 Xirix

From what I've seen they restricted the graphic settings in beta. And I'm so going to buy it.
I'm pretty convinced WAR is going to be a hit...we'll see.

7. No subject Aug 7, 2008, 01:40 D4rkKnight

Just watch one of the gameplay videos, it looks like DAoC with orcs...in other words it looks really bad, gameplay and graphics.

6. Re: From excited to bleh... Aug 6, 2008, 23:49 Ray Marden

I am extremely skeptical, but wait for the reviews and read through the hype. At this point, I suspect it is going to be the ultimate MMORPG, a PvP love-fest, or just another "Should have been, could have been" (see Conan, LotRO, etc.)

These guys have promised sooooooooooooooo much that this will either revolutionize MMOGs...or show they are full of crap. Needless to say, rushing to push it out being 100% complete with the full game so early makes me a bit suspicious. That is to say nothing of their tolerance to follow "established" MMORPG pricing and the still pending open beta...
He sounds a bit Roper-esque. Lulz.
If things don't go well, they can still easily push to corner the PvP mUnk33z or they can just sit in the "above average" field with a few of those other MMOGs.

Waiting to see,
Ray

-----
That's not pollution, it's only mist.
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

5. Re: From excited to bleh... Aug 6, 2008, 23:34 Beaner

Someone needs to speed up the MMO.

4. Re: From excited to bleh... Aug 6, 2008, 23:28 Ozmodan

Same here. It is Mythic, the nerf a lot kids. Mr.Jacobs tends to cater to the powergamers too, I don't have much confidence that he knows what he is doing. Conan kind of soured me on MMO's for the moment.

I think buying a MMO at release is somewhat like playing cards against someone who has a fixed deck.

3. Re: From excited to bleh... Aug 6, 2008, 22:56 Agent.X7

Bought a pre-order from Target today for .99 cents. Gives access to the open beta. Good way to check it out on the cheap. If you hate it, you spent less than the cost of a cup of coffee on it.

(Also have a CE pre-ordered. Going to sell it unopened if I hate the beta.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

2. Re: From excited to bleh... Aug 6, 2008, 22:55 NKD

Is this the interview that turns it into a 40k MMO?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

1. From excited to bleh... Aug 6, 2008, 22:35 JohnBirshire

I was looking forward to this game for years, but on the eve of it being released...I don't even know if I'm going to buy it.

It's partly because I was looking forward to Age of Conan for years and that ended up being rather disappointing and burning me out slightly on MMOs *more of the same*, plus the fact that we haven't heard many great things at all about Warhammer from the beta community, accompanied with the fact that there are several games coming out around the same time that I've been looking forward to, including Spore, Far Cry 2, Starcraft 2 *potentially*, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Left for Dead, and Huxley, etc etc. Taken as a whole, I went from having super high expectations to not even really being interested in Warhammer. Ah well, we'll see.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo