Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameTap for Sale

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has word that Turner Broadcasting is seeking a buyer for GameTap, Turner's free and subscriber online game service. This revelation appeared in Turner's second quarter earning results, which also "mentioned an $18 million noncash impairment attributed to the sale of GameTap." As of now no potential buyers have been identified, but Gamasutra (thanks Mike Martinez) got the following optimistic statement from Turner: "There is considerable marketplace interest in the GameTap business and brand," said a Turner spokesperson of the pending sale. "We are considering various strategic options, but have reached no final agreement as yet. When there is a resolution, we will announce it."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 7, 2008, 13:07 Deathbishop

I agree with you 100%. Gametap probably doesn't make as much money as it could because it's really not marketed all that well. That and alot of PC gamers (especially those that frequent this site) can't stand paying a subscription fee for anything, whether it be Gametap, WoW, etc.

There is alot more potential there, like having newer games hit the service. Gametap then would be like the PC version of something like Gamefly.

I like the idea of Gametap, been subscribed since it launched and it's come a LONG way. As mentioned above, there are alot of games in the service that I would have never played otherwise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. I love GameTap Aug 6, 2008, 23:57 KezClone

I've subscribed for nearly two years now. I've found and played and enjoyed a number of games via this service I'd never have bothered checking out otherwise.

Parents out there: you can have sub-accounts (for, say, your child's computer) so your child (or whoever) can download and play games. My 5-year-old daughter has a tremendous amount of fun with all the educational games on the service. That alone is worth the 50-something bucks per year.

14. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 21:13 LG Orange Drink

Fair enough. Consider me a victim of weak marketing? Gametap and anyone else that markets games that didn't quite make it need to understand their target: gamers who will pay a bit of money for games that didn't quite make the A List.

If the folks at Gametap knew that Diablo III was just announced and that TQ was pretty darned close to what us gamers where now hankering for,they would have screamed it from the highest hills of TBS. But Mass Media doesn't get
gamers. This from a person who spent 15 years on Madison Avenue...and 25 years gaming. Argue me now rock stars.

13. No subject Aug 6, 2008, 21:01 Killer Kane

I was all ready to subscribe last week, then found out 64bit procs are not supported!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying

12. All Tapped Out? Aug 6, 2008, 20:58 ldonyo

I thought someone would have thrown 'all tapped out' up here by now for the GameTap story.  

11. No subject Aug 6, 2008, 20:32 Hump

I really enjoyed Gametap while I had it but there just isn't enough new content coming in every month to justify an ongoing subscription.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. GOG Aug 6, 2008, 19:39 Kxmode

Good Old Games is going to be cooler than GameTap.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

9. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 19:36 Deathbishop

Funny thing is, Gametap recently announced a partnership with THQ which will INCLUDES Titan Quest to the service, as well as stuff like Warhammer 40k.

Be interesting to see how it turns out. It's a great service for what it is and for 60 bucks a year, it's hard to say it's overpriced.

8. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 18:51  dsmart 

Derek, it seems I read a post by you just yesterday that predicted something like this. Something to do with McGee.

Yep

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

7. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 18:41 LG Orange Drink

Any time Ray replies I consider. I'd pay a monthly fee to play older games. I just bought Titan Quest with the expansion because I got nostalgic for Diablo. Put this in the hands of someone besided Turner and they might get my attention. Turner gets my attention with Family Guy reruns.

6. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 18:32 Lorcin

If they could merge it with metaboli they would have a serious package. The only trouble as normal is the legals and the various different publishing rights between europe and the us.  

5. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 18:18 LarryLaffer

Derek, it seems I read a post by you just yesterday that predicted something like this. Something to do with McGee.

Laffman......

4. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 17:51  dsmart 

I saw this coming from a mile away. Lot of great folks there. Hopefully they'll get to keep their jobs or find new work once the ax falls again.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 18:00.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

3. No subject Aug 6, 2008, 17:37 Skoll

I tried GameTap last week to test out American McGee's Grimm while it was free. The installation was fairly smooth. I'm not a fan of the interface. The download was fairly quick and the game played fine. All in all I found it to be a decent outlet for digital distribution. I prefer Steam, but it was ok.

The gold membership looked interesting, though. For $60 you get a years worth of premium games which included several that I would be interested in (Sam & Max, Overlord, Planescape Torment, Hitman BloodMoney, Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6 3 Gold, etc...). That same $60 would get me JUST the Sam & Max episodes from Steam. So that seems like a pretty good deal right there...

2. Re: Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 17:31 Ray Marden

Every six months or so, I may consider subscribing to GameTap, but the service just is not worth it (currently.)

I really like the idea of this service, but it needs to be expanded across the board - more games period, more services, more free/ad-enabled games, and/or the ability to have a premium account.
How hard is it to get some good RPGs? Shooters? Adventure games?
As it stands now, there are a few games I would like to play for free, but they are not worth the monthly fee. When I was subscribed, I burned through the content - I owned the few "big" games, certain genres were woefully neglected, many games just are not that good - and I could not justify the fee.

I would love to pay, say, an addition $10 a month and then have access to any game that is more than a few years old.

However, if this service just gets gobbled up and controlled by one specific publisher, I would care less. I don't want to pay more for the existing lackluser level of content and the ideal program would have content from various publishers.

Wanting to pay a nominal fee to play (older) games I never intended to purchase,
Ray

-----
That's not pollution, it's only mist.
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 6, 18:51.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

1. Speak of the Devil Aug 6, 2008, 17:22 Tumbler

Hmm, was just talking about Gametap.

I tried this service for a bit in order to play Sam and Max. I liked it but it needed more content. More new games would be great!

I'd like to see it get picked up by one of the larger publishing houses so they can start putting bigger games on there.

The main obstacle I can see with this would be the size of games. It's not as simple as streaming content like video but hopefully they can figure something out.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo