Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Carmack: "Steve Jobs Doesn't Care About Games"

The suddenly very quotable John Carmack is quoted on Eurogamer saying Steve Jobs not being a gamer is the reason Apple doesn't "deeply get" gaming, as he commented during his QuakeCon 2008 keynote. The full quote, extracted from a lengthier Q&A, gives a bit more context, while also recognizing that he's probably going to tick off the Apple honcho with his comments: "The truth is Steve Jobs doesn't care about games. This is going to be one of those things that I say something in an interview and it gets fed back to him and I'm on his s***head list for a while on that, until he needs me to do something else there. But I think that that's my general opinion. He's not a gamer."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Also quoted Aug 5, 2008, 03:54  HammerHead 

I personally don't care how "dumbed down" console ports are as I won't play them. If your claim is that the PC version will suffer as a result of console support, well, I'll reserve judgment until I see it. So far that hasn't been my experience with id games on the PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Also quoted Aug 5, 2008, 00:56 Creston

"so PC support is gonna stick around for the foreseeable future."

Yeah but porting dumbed down console shit isn't exactly "supporting the PC", now is it?

Creston

26. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2008, 23:44 Beaner

Steve Jobs is the typical example of hubris. Such potential but his attitude keeps the company from going as far as it could possibly go. He's also the reason Apple has been so slow to make Business/Enterprise friendly products.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 23:48.

25. Re: Also quoted Aug 4, 2008, 23:15  HammerHead 

Carmack "The PC? Pfffft. Fuck you, assholes!"

Nah, Carmack made it quite clear in his QuakeCon keynote that keyboard/mouse is still the only way to really play FPSes, so PC support is gonna stick around for the foreseeable future.

24. Re: ... Aug 4, 2008, 22:12 zirik

Microsoft has spent over a decade developing DirectX and working with graphics manufacturers; Apple still does fuck all.

if youre gonna slander apple at least make it accurate. the reason id software uses apple hardware and osx for development is because they support opengl and openal. dont give that directx crap from microsoft as a reason why macs suck for gaming. the tools are there but the support from apple is lacking.

23. Also quoted Aug 4, 2008, 19:56 Creston

Creston "id no longer gives a shit about PC gamers, who bought four million copies of id's last game."

Carmack "The PC? Pfffft. Fuck you, assholes!"

Creston

22. No subject Aug 4, 2008, 19:32 [VG]Reagle

Carmack is so full of himself. The fact he is such a know it all techno geek is the root cause ID can't make a real game. They are all just skinning for his engines.

And engines themselves have evolved so that no one person can code one in a year.

Therefore ID will go now where fast.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

21. No subject Aug 4, 2008, 19:07 Rosco

Well now, here's a story you sure as shit will "not" see on the front page of Digg. Nope, I would almost put money on it.

Most on Digg worship Jobs like the he's the second coming.

theyarecomingforyou
I think the point he is trying to get across is, most Mac users are the Beatnik types, and view gamers like they were Kentucky Rednecks. To a Mac user, a gamer is a lower life form. Most, not all though, I knew some that I used to play CoD and MoH with, great people they were.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 19:13.

Consoles are schwag.

20. ... Aug 4, 2008, 18:50 theyarecomingforyou

I think they are trying to keep the gamer crowd out because it would make the mac, and the apple brand, appear more nerdy and boring. I think apple has built their whole business around making products that are cool and hip and targeting people with a large disposable income.
Gaming... nerdy? The Wii has very well demonstrated that casual gaming has a huge appeal - it's actually being installed in hotels and gyms. Gaming cannot possibly make the Mac seem more "boring" - obviously the opposite is true. Also, if you look at the iPod there wasn't anything much more nerdy than converting your music to MP3 and uploading it to a portable hard-drive with a display. Your argument is simply ridiculous and delusional; an excuse to justify the Mac's terrible record for gaming.

If they're not going for the gaming crowd, then Apple needs to stop acting like they are with things like the Doom3/Rage presentations
Exactly! If Apple doesn't care about gaming then why the hell would they introduce Carmack at events to promote them? This is what annoys me about Apple fans - they dismiss Apple doing something until Apple does it and then it's suddenly cool.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: ... Aug 4, 2008, 18:40 Shineyguy

"I think apple has built their whole business around making products that are cool and hip and targeting people with a large disposable income. (18-35?) I don't think Games are "cool" enough to be welcomed into the Apple family."

The problem with that logic is that the majority of gamers are 35 years old. Therefore, that's the same demographic that Apple supposedly targets.

Regardless, Apple is only hurting themselves by not catering to gamers more. I'm sure they would make mounds more money by being an acceptable alternate platform to the PC in terms of games.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 18:41.

18. Re: ... Aug 4, 2008, 18:40 sponge

I dont' think apple is going after the gaming crowd. At all. I would go farther and say I think they are trying to keep the gamer crowd out because it would make the mac, and the apple brand, appear more nerdy and boring. I think apple has built their whole business around making products that are cool and hip and targeting people with a large disposable income. (18-35?) I don't think Games are "cool" enough to be welcomed into the Apple family.

If they're not going for the gaming crowd, then Apple needs to stop acting like they are with things like the Doom3/Rage presentations, and the EA announcement a while back.

17. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2008, 18:36 Joss

I'm a designer and I use PC. Yeah, one the white buffalo. I still have my first Mac G4 733mhz ($3,000+) sitting in the corner.

Never again Mac... sorry. Could build 2 nice gaming systems for $3K!

16. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2008, 18:06 Razor

Tanto Edge, I also live in Edmonton and came across the store in WEM. I was with my fiancée, and we both went in to take a peak to see how bad that bad could get.

The whole place had an air of douchebaggery unlike any other place I've been =P We both made the typical gaming-on-a-Mac jokes as we tried to find any in the store. SimCity 4?!? And a shitload of other antiquated titles.

The store was filled with n00bs. My fiancée is joking about how we should ask one of the salespeople about gaming on a Mac, and have him try to sell us one =P

I passed on the opportunity, but was very tempted to put a few Mac-heads in their places.

Also, I agree with Carmack.

For those that will defend Jobs, consider this: Those fucking Mac ads and how they claim that PCs are for boring stuff like spreadsheets and Macs are for fun stuff. Since when is gaming not fun, and since when are Macs a superior gaming platform? =P

The only Mac useful for gaming is one installed with Windows. And if you aren't running OSX, doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a Mac? Afterall, it's really just a dongle to run OSX.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 18:09.

15. Re: ... Aug 4, 2008, 17:54 Tumbler

But the point is you have to pay more for a Mac and it does less than a PC. Steve Jobs is simply doing a disservice to the platform by not supporting gaming, whether he is personally into it or not. It pisses me off to see Apple adverts depicting the PC are boring and nerdy when Macs are shit for gaming.

I dont' think apple is going after the gaming crowd. At all. I would go farther and say I think they are trying to keep the gamer crowd out because it would make the mac, and the apple brand, appear more nerdy and boring. I think apple has built their whole business around making products that are cool and hip and targeting people with a large disposable income. (18-35?) I don't think Games are "cool" enough to be welcomed into the Apple family.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Steve Jobs and games is... Aug 4, 2008, 17:45 NKD

...like George Bush and black people.

I was actually gonna make the Kanye West joke but I didn't think anyone would remember it. "George Bush doesn't care about black people!" Of course, why that surprised Kanye is beyond me. George Bush is a politician. Politicians, almost by definition, don't care about anyone but themselves.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 17:46.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Steve Jobs and games is... Aug 4, 2008, 17:43 kyleb

...like George Bush and black people.

12. Re: ... Aug 4, 2008, 17:37 NKD

Steve Jobs is only interested in his cultish fan club and doing hallucinogens.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. ... Aug 4, 2008, 17:36 theyarecomingforyou

Yeah...so? A lot of people don't care about games... Apple has never been very big on games. It makes perfect sense the Steve Jobs doesn't care.
But the point is you have to pay more for a Mac and it does less than a PC. Steve Jobs is simply doing a disservice to the platform by not supporting gaming, whether he is personally into it or not. It pisses me off to see Apple adverts depicting the PC are boring and nerdy when Macs are shit for gaming.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Duh Aug 4, 2008, 17:27 Tumbler

"The truth is Steve Jobs doesn't care about games. This is going to be one of those things that I say something in an interview and it gets fed back to him and I'm on his s***head list for a while on that, until he needs me to do something else there. But I think that that's my general opinion. He's not a gamer."

Yeah...so? A lot of people don't care about games... Apple has never been very big on games. It makes perfect sense the Steve Jobs doesn't care. He doesn't play them. I think enough people do care though that we're still going to see games on the iphone and a lot more going forward.

I'm very interested in the Force unleased Iphone game!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2008, 17:26 Tanto Edge

Everytime I price out a Mac, they lose a sale once I look at the PC I can buy for the same amount of money.

I recently happened upon my first Mac store, ever.
It was in West Edmonton Mall.
The amount of traffic that wandered in and out was astounding, the prices were ridiculously high, and the smell was making me physically nauseous.

Macintosh is a fine computer, but on an equivalence to PCs? I'm starting to see a nice gap forming in affordability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo