Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Arvoch Conflict

The Arvoch Conflict Website now features a new version 1.828 of this space combat simulator. Word is: "The focus of this update is an all-new multiplayer system designed for better router support and improved performance." As usual the update serves as a trial version as well as an update for older versions. Here's the detail on the multiplayer changes: "The new multiplayer system lets players join without having to manually forward ports on most routers and connecting is much faster. The game's instructions and the FAQ provide additional information on using the new multiplayer mode."

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: No subject Aug 4, 2008, 22:58 Shadowcat

And that's a reasonable answer. Cheers.

I was of course presuming that most of the download size was taken up by external assets.

I do still think that 25MB is on the large side for dial-up users, but given your explanation I can certainly understand the significant advantages of releasing updates in this fashion (or perhaps, the significant issues with doing it any other way!)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2008, 17:13  SFSW 

That'a a fair question. The main reason is largely because of the game's procedural design (what makes it so small). Just about all of its content is self-contained (much of it in code, not external media), almost everything is compacted into the same binary, so patching the game requires patching that file. The benefits seem to greatly outweigh any download time drawbacks, I've received virtually no complaints about this method over the last 4-5 years or so. Plus, the download for the game is smaller than many 'patches' offered for other games, 25 MB is minimal even for a patch and almost unheard for a game demo, let alone a full game. The hard drive space saving and download time benefits for downloading the entire game do add up, you don't have to save a huge installer, plus any patch installers, just one (very small) file, one download, one installation any time you want to install the game or update it.
This comment was edited on Aug 3, 18:13.

2. No subject Aug 3, 2008, 08:03 Shadowcat

As usual the update serves as a trial version as well as an update for older versions
I realise that 25MB is small by comparison to many things nowadays, but I don't understand why a company would ever refrain from taking reasonable steps to reduce bandwidth use. Downloading the entire game every time a new version comes out must be a massive PITA for dial-up users. Why not release a patch?

1. ... Aug 2, 2008, 10:35 grudgebearer

Where's DerkSmart? We need his input on this game.  

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo