Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Space Siege Demo

As promised, the playable demo for Space Siege is now available, offering a sample of the science-fiction action/RPG. The 935 MB download is available on NVIDIA's nZone and mirrored on ActionTrip, AtomicGamer, AusGamers, ComputerGames.ro, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Strategy Informer.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Fun, but not good enough. Jul 31, 2008, 03:07 Ant

It reminded me of Alien Swarm mod for UT2003(?). I didn't like the controls either.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 12:48 Sammael

I hope they are making Diablo 3 WASD because click to move is just way to retro and not in a good way. I was hoping this was going to be a improvement on Hellgate not a backwards step.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 16:42.

47. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2008, 09:14 InBlack

Actually, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were adding WASD to Diablo 3 because so many people requested that last time.

I remember reading somewhere that there are people on Mars, and that George W. Bush is actually a giant man-eating Lizzard from another dimension.

Just because you read it somewhere doesnt make it true.

Although the jury is still out on the G.W. issue...

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 09:16.

I have a nifty blue line!

46. I thought.. Jul 29, 2008, 23:58 Darkhand Brackstone

I thought this was going to be like Dungeon Siege in space, I know that sounds bad but really that's what I wanted.

Necromancer = Robot AI Expert
Mage/Healer = Some sort of Engineer
Warrior = Soldier

etc. etc.

With all the item collecting and all that.

There is NO item collecting. This feels like a Shooter more than anything and a bad shooter at that. *sigh* I won't be picking those up.

45. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 23:00 PHJF

With the whole "cybernetics and guns" thing, this sounds a LOT like Restricted Area, and that game was ttterrriibbblleee.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 22:36 Overon

"This is not my type of game or my type of genre."

Then why are you commenting? Who the fuck cares about your opinion if you don't even like the genre or game type? Seriously, STFU.
Yeah you are right. My type of game is a good game that is so lame. And my type of genre is unlike the shallow clickfest action genre.

P.S. Why do they even bother making you hit the h key so you can replenish your health instantly. Why go to the trouble. Just make it automatic, if you got health kit and you are almost dead have it automatically use it.

43. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 22:25 ledhead1969

"This is not my type of game or my type of genre."

Then why are you commenting? Who the fuck cares about your opinion if you don't even like the genre or game type? Seriously, STFU.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 22:26.

42. lag and lacking gameplay Jul 29, 2008, 22:13 Blueshrike

Just beat the demo. I have a decent system that has little trouble with most games even today (7900gt overclocked), and at 1280x1024 the mouse control was severely lagging. Then I do what I don't normally, scaled it back down to 1024x768, and low settings on a couple of choices... and it seemed fine.

Until lots of things on the screen. Then it lagged again. For a graphically simple game like this, to lag like this is inexcusable. All it means to me is slopping programming.

This is not to say anything about gameplay. I found the controls lacking, the camera angles constraining, and the general combat gameplay dated. The RPG upgrade system seems like it might work pretty well, but those other things are too great for me to overcome.

Passing, and am less enthused about Demigod now, but I'll at least give them some credit for releasing a demo. With the things that matter most (general gameplay/controls) it just lacks.

41. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 21:45 Agent.X7

what is it with you people and WASD for a game like this!

are you going to avoid Diablo3 for the same reason?

Actually, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were adding WASD to Diablo 3 because so many people requested that last time.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

40. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 21:21 Ray Marden

Yes, if Diablo 3 plays the same.

However, I'd be willing to bet that Diablo 3 will have a faster pace, superior camera system, less cramped areas, won't focus on gun combat, allow for more character movement, broader abilities, etc.

As the game is now, if nothing else was improved, WASD movement would make this a better game.
The extra zoomed in camera does not work as well for these small areas.
Hoping this is the last GPG game in this genre,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

39. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 21:10 manic half

what is it with you people and WASD for a game like this!

are you going to avoid Diablo3 for the same reason?

38. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 20:42 Overon

The control scheme is horrible with the left mouse used for movement and right mouse button for shooting. No WASD support for movement. Would it kill them to all WASD for movement?

It's a shallow game with shallow gameplay. The graphics are average yet I have a core 2 6600 with 2 GB of ram and a 8800 gt and the animation seems to stutter at places at 1680x1050.

The story feels dinky with low production values and extremely repetitive with a console design philosphy ie save rooms where you can heal, save, and use your parts "buy" equipment and upgrades.

Plus the demo is extremely short.

This is not my type of game or my type of genre.

37. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 20:37 Fuzzmatang

Here's a disturbing thought from Chris Taylor:

He also made the point that modern game design has moved away from creating ways of punishing players to developing a model that rewards them as regularly as possible. This means eradicating the old "game over" screens, removing manual save/load systems, and allowing regeneration points that allow players to carry on where they were even when they've died. All of the above will apply to Space Siege.

Sadly, that's true though. Look at the death system in Bioshock and Prey (although Prey's was kind of cool). Oh, but you were going to Quickload anyways, right?

Hell, Dungeon Siege was a game that played itself and making challenge-less games seems like the next logical move for him.

36. No subject Jul 29, 2008, 20:24 Nate

Definite console feel. I hate clicking to move too. You kinda get to pick up loot but paying money to upgrade your character stats feels blah.

I don't see this as any improvement over Dungeon Siege.

35. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 20:23 Darks

There are armor sets but not like you would expect in a normal RPG, they are more of Cybernetic parts or implants that you will ultimately decide if using them and losing some of your humanity or using other items that may not allow you to use per say a Gatling gun because it’s too heavy to carry because you did not decide to use a cybernetic arm. In the demo there was a set of cybernetic legs that when used allowed you to move faster. The game will be full of things like this ultimately it will be up to the player how much cybernetics he uses. Personally I love the demo the game play is smooth and the combat was fun, anyone who cares to compare Diablo to this is nuts, the 2 games are similar in terms of its RPG but combat and story are all different. The story so far as we know it is the earth was attached and pretty much wiped out this was one of the only human ships to escape with the last remnants of humanity. But the attacking aliens gave chase to the ship and are now trying to destroy what’s left of the humans. This is where you come in and try to rid the ship of the invading Aliens.

Some I have read are complaining about the story or the plot, well I can’t see how anyone can come to any proper conclusion about the story from only a 20 mins demo. Personally I m looking forward to the game and will be buying a copy. Coop will be a lot of fun and really how many games out there these days offer coop?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

34. Meh Jul 29, 2008, 20:19 Hump

It seems rather sparse compared to Dungeon Siege. Its not "bad" by any means its just that it feels like it needs something else to round out the experience.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

33. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 17:21 sir

The reviews on here are pretty mixed. For my part, I enjoyed the demo and will probably pick up the game at retail. However, I can understand why some people might not like it - it's a streamlined action-RPG lite even by DS standards, so the best thing to do if you're in two minds is to try the demo for yourself.

32. No subject Jul 29, 2008, 16:49 Coolone

I actually enjoyed the demo. I know I'd really enjoy this game while playing coop with my friends.

31. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 16:30 Jonny5

Great graphics in my opinion, Fun game play. I wont buy it But I loved the demo.

30. No subject Jul 29, 2008, 16:28 Mac

Really Really unimpressed with the demo. I loved Dungeon Siege, but this just feels like a Shadowgrounds rip off and just not as good. Cancelled pre-order.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo