Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: What you talking about Willis? Jul 30, 2008, 12:09 phinn

@Paranoid Jack

Actually yea, I do think PS3 will ever have a profitable year. Because they already *announced* a profitable year this year: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53906

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. No subject Jul 30, 2008, 11:48 xXBatmanXx

woooooohooooooooooooo!

PS3 vs 360 pissin match!

I came here looking for the "Hey, aren't those Madden screenshots from Madden 06-08?"

I leave disappointed.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. Re: What you talking about Willis? Jul 30, 2008, 09:33 Repeat Offender

So it figures they have a higher "brick" rate since their users are playing so much more

Boy, someone sure is out of touch with the facts. The 360 has a 30% brick rate, not because it is more popular and played more, it's because it was rushed to market and poorly engineered. End of story.

My opinion is a good majority of the issues are an owner caused problem. I see it at least once a week while working on peoples DSL lines. The kids or teens have a 360 and they handle it like it's an iPod. I wish I had ten dollars for every kid I've told "it's not a good idea to move your 360 while powered up, with a game inside, and/or while playing it".

Seriously, are you new to the internet? Even a cursory glance around the various forums should make it more than obvious to you that this is not a result of "user error". This is a well known problem to which Microsoft has admitted fault. And even if what you said was true, why don't we see similar issues with the PS3 and the Wii? Are stupid kids unique to the 360? Actually, spending 5 minutes on XBL seems to indicate that maybe they are.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 09:42.

22. Re: Price Jul 30, 2008, 00:06 Krovven

I love how Sony fans conveniently ignore Xbox Live, something Sony has absolutely nothing to compare.

Nobody has ignored XBL. Pointless even said that Sony wasn't far behind, but mainly because of XBL, and I think you'd find few that disagree that XBL is the 360's saving glory. XBL is the ONLY reason I have any interest in buying a 360, but only when the system gets better and the price drops.

something Sony has absolutely nothing to compare.

Ohhh so you are just a typical ignorant 360 fanboy...I get it. You probably haven't even seen the redesigned PSN Store or the new XMB functions? We all get that Home is still MIA, and it sucks, but its coming (2D and 3D versions). Quite frankly the current Live interface just blows, hopefully they do better with the rumored redesign. Of what I saw from E3, the design of the new Live features sucks too, so I'm not hopefull.

Xbox paid through the nose for their exclusives

Exactly. Sony has vocally stated that they are not doing that. Their goal is to be profitable, they've been saying this for awhile. Microsoft has had to throw HUGE money at people to get them to not develop for other platforms, including the PC (another argument altogether).

Final Fantasy is going to be on 360 & PS3, PS3 is still the lead platform and will be exclusive on the PS3 in Japan. The japanese version for the PS3 will be completed before the 360 and NA PS3 versions are even started.

Ultimately it really shouldn't be any surprise to anyone that big third party titles that were once exclusive are going multi-platform. It's been said over and over in the last two years. Developers and publishers simply cannot afford to only sell their games on one platform, it just doesn't economically make sense with the costs of business these days.

Now, within a single generation, MS, which I suspected would have been happy to simply take a minority chunk of market share

Yea they haven't earned that market share by making a good product, like Sony did with the PS1 and PS2. They got the market share by jumping the gun a year early to beat everyone to the market. That was their plan, and they did it, but also made a faulty feature shorted product. They then threw around tens of millions of dollars to bribe developers to go 360 exclusive, even when their competition hadn't released their new hardware. Basically MS was trying to keep games off the PS2, rather than the PS3 at that point. Developers are simply not going to ignore massive amounts of money that will basically pay for the budget up front.

I mean, try to understand how incredibly dominant Sony was at that point ... In that regard, I'm not sure that how Sony could frame that as a success.

I think you are the one that needs to understand...Sony has 3 very successful gaming systems on the market right now. The 360 just gained a big market share in the US, but was still competing with the PS2, and was up until the beginning of this year. Now the PS3 has been outselling the 360 in the US, Europe and Asia.

360 is a successful system, and Microsoft will continue to build on that. They are both still getting their asses whooped by the Wii.

----------------------------------------------------
Civilization Revolution, Grand Theft Auto IV, GRID

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Jul 30, 00:22.

21. What you talking about Willis? Jul 29, 2008, 23:53 Paranoid Jack

"The 360 has a 30% brick rate and you consider that "a much better console". Hahahahaha!!!"

This might not make sense to some but I think it's a factor... look at who has sold the most games. The 360 has sold more games than both the PS3 and the Wii combined. So it figures they have a higher "brick" rate since their users are playing so much more... plus playing DVDs. If Sony had more units and more games the PS3 owners wouldn't be playing more movies than games and thus would be putting more stress on their units by doing so.

I keep hearing this high failure rate shit for the 360 but my unit was bought day one and continues to work just fine. My opinion is a good majority of the issues are an owner caused problem. I see it at least once a week while working on peoples DSL lines. The kids or teens have a 360 and they handle it like it's an iPod. I wish I had ten dollars for every kid I've told "it's not a good idea to move your 360 while powered up, with a game inside, and/or while playing it".

A kid just this Monday moved his and instantly got the red ring of death. I told him to power it down and say a pray. When it booted up ok I told him never move the console while the game is playing and lay it on the side since it's on carpet and can easily be tipped.

" 360 may be the "now", but the PS3 is the future. 360 has too many limitations that are going to give it a tough road in the next few years."

That's why the 360 (the actual console) is having a profitable year? Do you think the PS3 will ever have a profitable year?

"360 fanboys are hilarious."

And before you get your panties in more of a bunch than they already are put your Sony banner down and read your posts with an open mind. Funny you calling somebody/anybody else a fanboy. And just for the record I plan on buying a PS3 soon. For the BluRay of course. Not for the games though LBP looks like a cool concept which should make a good family get together type game that will break away from the race games we usually play.

Again, to each his own. I just like playing games, good games. I don't care what system it is on. I just spent another $275 on a video card replacement. So I can afford the console if it's got anything worth buying it for... in my opinion.

Of course if we didn't have all this mine is better than yours shit the forums would be much more quiet.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 23:59.

20. Re: Price Jul 29, 2008, 23:53 phinn

Square "jump shipped"? Uh no. You Microsoft fanboys have your E3 announcement, i'll give you that. But they certainly didn't. For one it's still exclusive in Japan, not that that matters much. And secondly, PS3 is still it's primary dev platform. Not to mention they confirmed the seqeuel FF-XIII Versus to be PS3 only, along with The Last Remnant and another unconfirmed title was announced to be coming to PS3 as well all from them.

PS3 is the arguably the best console now, it's selling well, has all the best games and lots of exclusives, free online gaming, blu-ray, and they *never* fail. Sony makes quality shit, and its a great console.

And as for comments on sales... PS3 has 14.5 million, Xbox has 20 million. Fine, but one has been out for 1 1/2 years and the other 2 1/2 years. When you factor that in the sales per month are much higher for PS3.

19. Re: Price Jul 29, 2008, 22:20 MachineMk2

I love how Sony fans conveniently ignore Xbox Live, something Sony has absolutely nothing to compare.

And wow, Blu-Ray players are sure gee-whiz neat. But between downloadable HD movies, pay-per-view, and several HD channels, I just don't feel a gaping hole in my HD life.

Did Sony fans learn nothing at E3? Why do you think Square jumped ship? Why wasn't Sony able to make some sort of announcement about SOMETHING to plug that sucking chest wound? Don't worry, they're rhetorical. Sony's scrambling for something to make their console special...or, they don't care because it's just a vehicle for Blu-Ray (which it is).

It's sad when the biggest release on the horizon is a virtual simulation of other dejected PS3 owners hanging out together.

Now, I'm not saying PS3 is a bad console, it's not. It certainly is competitive. But let's look at the big picture: Sony was running the table with PS2. I mean, try to understand how incredibly dominant Sony was at that point. Nobody even thought about not selling a game on a PS2. Xbox paid through the nose for their exclusives, some good (Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell, Halo (:p), KOTOR) but struggled to gain any market share.

Then, it all changed. Now, within a single generation, MS, which I suspected would have been happy to simply take a minority chunk of market share, has been more successful than they could have hoped. In that regard, I'm not sure that how Sony could frame that as a success.

Similarly, buying a PS3 will further Blu-Ray, but it's not doing gaming, or gamers, any favors.

18. Re: Price Jul 29, 2008, 18:15 Krovven

$399>$299

And for the difference in price you get far more. Blu-Ray player anyone? DVD Upscaler anyone? Cheapest stand-alone Blue-Ray player is around $300 these days.

If all you care about is playing games on whatever tv hardware you have at home, the 360 is going to cater to gamers, and not many others.

However if you want a Blu-Ray player, and a gaming system, and an all around multi-media machine that will be compatible with most of your existing devices, then the PS3 is it.

If you already have either/or, then it's going to be up to the individual to choose whether the exclusives are worth it to them, and if the machine has other capabilities making it worthwhile.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

17. Re: Price Jul 29, 2008, 18:11 Halo

Wow I thought I left the Joystiq.com forums behind when I started coming back here. Guess I was wrong, hopefully we can talk about different religions, and presidential candidates next!

16. Price Jul 29, 2008, 17:21 Tumbler

80GB MGS PS3: $500. You get the system, a top game, a voucher for a PSN title, a Blu-ray player, 80GB HDD, built-in wireless (WiFi), and a controller.

For the Elite 360: $430. You get the console, controller, 120GB HDD, and headset. Add another $100 for wireless connectivity, $60 for a top game. Its now $600.

Is it 2006 again?

Because $399 for the premium system at that time was lower than $499 and $599 that the PS3 launched at. And today the lowest cost PS3 is $399 I believe and the 360 Premium is $299...

$399>$299

And so...that is why it's less expensive. Because $299 is less than $399, sorry but that is just the way it is.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 17:03 the_culture

It's more expensive, it has fewer games on average coming out each month (based on my perception), the exclusive content released so far has been inconsistent and has yet to distinguish the real advantages of the system, and you're friends probably have Xbox's... so it's a tough sell to get people to buy a PS3.

You people really need to stop using personal preferences as bullets points. You sound just like that bonehead Don Matrick.

• It's more expensive
  • . Is it really? Let's take the 80GB MGS PS3: $500. You get the system, a top game, a voucher for a PSN title, a Blu-ray player, 80GB HDD, built-in wireless (WiFi), and a controller.

For the Elite 360: $430. You get the console, controller, 120GB HDD, and headset. Add another $100 for wireless connectivity, $60 for a top game. Its now $600.

• Inconsistent exclusive content
  • . Personal opinion.

• Fewer games released each month
  • . Are you referring to titles you would play or sheer numbers? Because if its just the number, then yes, you are right. However that doesn't matter if they are titles that are not interesting.

• PS3 not promoting its features
  • . You are absolutely right about that.

• All my friends have 360s
  • . I suppose it depends on the friends you have. Me personally, all my friends have PS3s... at least the ones I like.

EDIT: typo fix
    This comment was edited on Jul 29, 17:05.

14. Bad System Jul 29, 2008, 16:42 Tumbler

360 fanboys are hilarious. You'd have to be just plain stupid and ignorant to think that the PS3 is a bad system, or has bad games, or has nothing more going for it than a Blu-Ray drive.

And in response to this I think Sony Fans misunderstand the issue if they think the PS3 is perceived as a bad system. It's not. I think everyone knows it's a good system, but it's competing with a great system. And since it came out so much later I think a majority of gamers look at it as a vehicle for playing exclusive Sony games instead of a full console that plays everything.

We already have a console that plays everything else, the only real reason I see to buy a Ps3 is for the exclusive content...which to me is not worth $400+.

I do want a PS3 if that makes any sense, but I can put a price on how much I want it and sadly that is about $250 right now. I have plenty of other games to play and I'm content to miss out on the PS3 experience if the price is above $250. (But I will say that when Resistance comes out if it still looks as good as it did at E3 and Killzone 2 looks great also that dollar value is going up...)

13. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 16:29 Tumbler

Nobody is denying that the 360 has a great attach rate, but it also has a full year head start. 360 may be the "now", but the PS3 is the future. 360 has too many limitations that are going to give it a tough road in the next few years.

Now why does this sound so familiar...it's like I've heard that before...from somewhere...just can't place it.

The PS3 and the 360 are the "now". The PS3 is not going to suddenly become some super console that does things that it doesn't do now.

The exclusive content on the PS3 will continue to shine but when you step back and look at the consumers point of view it's still a long shot buying a PS3.

It's more expensive, it has fewer games on average coming out each month (based on my perception), the exclusive content released so far has been inconsistent and has yet to distinguish the real advantages of the system, and you're friends probably have Xbox's... so it's a tough sell to get people to buy a PS3.

From the developers side the sales numbers are a huge deal. Try explaining to me, as if I was a developer, why developing a game for the PS3 exclusively is worth it when it's going to sell less than 1/2 of what the same game would on the 360?

That example I used of NCAA isn't meant to be a one stop shop for my argument. It's a game that will appeal to each side and a developer looking to make a game is going to be faced with a choice, is it profitable to make this game on the PS3? No developer has to ask that question on the 360, they already know it will work there, but they have to say, "Will it be worth it on the PS3?"

12. The Conduit wins awards... Jul 29, 2008, 16:29 PointlesS

* Best Wii Game of E3 (IGN.com)
    * Best Wii Shooter of E3 (IGN.com)
    * Best Graphics Technology on Wii (IGN.com)
    * Best Wii Game of E3 (Gametrailers.com)

aren't all these awards just from winning by default? besides that black and white looking game (forget the name) there wasn't really anything else out there

11. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 16:26 PointlesS

having just bought a ps3 (also own a 360 and wii...system neutral now woo!) I'm pretty satisfied with it...it's exclusives are just as good as the 360...just beat uncharted (which is awesome)...and I'm really enjoying mgs4 and warhawk...it had a rough launch and not so good followup...but things are shaping up really good so far...with some good games on the horizon along with home (assuming they can get the thing out the door) there's going to be some great competition this christmas...while the 360 remains my console of choice (mainly because of xbl) the ps3 isn't that far behind...

10. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 16:10 Krovven

Sony will continue to struggle with their console

Yea, cus their sales in 2008 sure looks like they are struggling.

360 fanboys are hilarious. You'd have to be just plain stupid and ignorant to think that the PS3 is a bad system, or has bad games, or has nothing more going for it than a Blu-Ray drive.

At some point I may still get a 360, if the price is right and they make some hardware changes. Until that day, the PS3 feature set and specs has been worth every penny I payed for it, especially lately with PSN really getting going with content.

Exclusive games
    Exclusive PSN games
    Excellent cross-platform games
    Blu-Ray (best blu-ray player on the market)
    720 & 1080 native
    Amazing DVD upscale quality
    Bluetooth
    Motion control controllers
    Music player
    Video player
    Interchangable USB devices, rather than some proprietary hardware
    Upgradable hard drive

...the list goes on.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

9. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 16:05 the_culture

Well the problem with the ps3, it is much harder to code games for it. The console developers would much rather code for the xbox. Hence in my opinion, the PS3 is going to be bypassed by many game developers.

And yet Infinity Ward had no troubles with COD4 and EA Tiburon has the PS3 version of Madden as their lead SKU.

8. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 15:49 Krovven

Takes NCAA 2009 sales (reported on VGchartz.com)
    PS3 - 124,663
    360 - 290,627

Your entire argument is based off of sales for 1 lame college sports game?

You are an idiot.

Nobody is denying that the 360 has a great attach rate, but it also has a full year head start. 360 may be the "now", but the PS3 is the future. 360 has too many limitations that are going to give it a tough road in the next few years.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

7. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 15:43 Repeat Offender

The only thing the ps3 has going for it is the blue-ray drive. So if that is such a big deal for you, go for it. Other than that, the Xbox is a much better console in my opinion.

Blu-ray is the only thing going for the PS3? So build quality doesn't count for anything, huh? The 360 has a 30% brick rate and you consider that "a much better console". Hahahahaha!!!

6. Re: EA- PS3 Red Alert 3 Cancellation Jul 29, 2008, 15:37 Ozmodan

Well the problem with the ps3, it is much harder to code games for it. The console developers would much rather code for the xbox. Hence in my opinion, the PS3 is going to be bypassed by many game developers.

The only thing the ps3 has going for it is the blue-ray drive. So if that is such a big deal for you, go for it. Other than that, the Xbox is a much better console in my opinion.

Anyone trying to say that there are more PS3 games coming out than Xbox games is wearing blinders. Quite the opposite. Sony will continue to struggle with their console, especially since their low end box won't play PS2 titles, that leaves a lot of people out in the cold.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo