Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Revelations

The countdown on the Cryptic Studios Website has concluded with the expected revelation that the developer has taken the helm of development of Star Trek Online. The Star Trek Online Official Website is online, offering screenshots from the project, and confirming an official unveiling of the game will come at the Star Trek convention on August 10 in Las Vegas, which will be covered by a live webcast. Word is:

CRYPTIC STUDIOS LICENSES RIGHTS TO PRODUCE STAR TREK ONLINE

Trek Fans Worldwide Are Invited to MMO Gamplay Reveal at Annual Star Trek Convention August 10, 2008 or Via Live Webcast at http://www.startrekonline.com/

Los Gatos, Calif. – Cryptic Studios™, a leading developer and publisher of massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs), announced today that it has secured the global rights to develop and publish Star Trek® Online, a massively multiplayer online game based on the legendary Star Trek franchise, from CBS Consumer Products.

Cryptic will unveil the first Star Trek Online gameplay footage as well as details about this highly anticipated MMO at the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas on Sunday, August 10, 2008. Trek fans from around the globe can also view the event live via webcast at http://www.startrekonline.com/.

Interested participants can register today for the Star Trek Online webcast and to sign up for the STO community by visiting http://www.startrekonline.com/.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

19. Re: StarTrek Online Jul 28, 2008, 13:00 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I don't this this game will be very good at all. Oddly enough it doesn't have anything to do with graphics or console dumbing down. It has everything to do with the core material Star Trek. What made ST great were the stories which were in essence morality plays. They were about interesting characters that represented the issues of the time. I just don't see how they can manage to create the same level of story in the true spirit of ST while trying to stuff it into the MMO mold of 'kill 20 tribbles'...'deliver note x to capt y'...etc...etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. StarTrek Online Jul 28, 2008, 12:44 Ozmodan

The fact they are are also making this for the consoles makes me wonder. We already have seen how weak AoC turned out with the over done instancing and button mashing combat.

Not sure you can do a PC game and then put it out for consoles too and keep both crowds happy.

Seems to be the thing now a days, must be an investor requirement to also do it for consoles. It is because some idiot pundits are trying to say that the market for PC games is dying. I gave my consoles to my kids, I don't even enjoy the games on them anymore.

17. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 12:43 AnarKane

Great, another one they get to screw up. How long will it take before you have a ship full of people at Captain rank because of the number of tribbles they phasered?  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

16. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:58 random.thought

This entire website is overrun with a bunch of Tools, Nit-picking degrading scoffers, wana-be self important "i own computer" game designers and punks.

For a group of people that are oh so smart did you ever stop to think about the affect of scale on such a huge interactive space environment? (as just one point i could make)

But honestly you probably will flame this point without even having a clue as to what its about.

And you're making yourself such a fine example of how not to troll, how not to jump to conclusions, how not to be an asshole, and how to properly compose sentences and utilize Capitalization In the right Places! Good show! How many times did you have to edit that message to pound out those few measly sentences, you pompous, elitist trash? The amount of lines beneath your post suggests at least 3 times, but I wouldn't doubt it took more.

But anyway, I think the screenshots look good. Certainly on a much higher scale of quality than the previously-released (atrocious) screenshots that Perpetual vomited out while they were still on the project.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 11:59.

15. Re: Well See? Jul 28, 2008, 11:48 Xyggy

When will devs realize that developing an MMO for both PC and consoles is not a good idea? Choose one or the other and make it work (to quote Tim Gunn). There's a reason Blizzard never tried to port WoW to the consoles. Perhaps devs should pay attention to the biggest for some things. I'm all for innovation, but trying to develop an MMO for both PC and consoles is just a recipe for failure, imo.

14. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:37 MMORPGHoD

The last ST console port was Star Trek: Legacy. Not a good sign for a franchise that doesn't "dumb down" well.

13. Sounds...ok Jul 28, 2008, 11:33 Tumbler

Hmm, sounds like they are planning on adding at least the things I was concerned about. Space combat, crew training. The ground game looks better than I'd hoped and...

Powered by the Cryptic Engine, Star Trek® Online will be developed for both console and PC formats.

wait...what? Console and PC...wonderful. I doubt it is conicidence that they list console first because the only way you can design for the Console and PC is by designign for the console and porting it to the PC.

I'll look at the video they'll be posting soon but I can't see how this is going to be any different than other games that are ported to the PC...

I'd love to see the Eve Online devs get their hands on this, one big universe with the Star Trek license would be awesome.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:22 Pumas

The skeptics on BN are generally right. HG:L as an example.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

11. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:16 the_culture

This entire website is overrun with a bunch of Tools, Nit-picking degrading scoffers, wana-be self important "i own computer" game designers and punks.

For group of people that are oh so smart did you ever stop to think about the affect of scale on such a huge interactive space environment? (as just one point i cold make)

But honestly you probably will flame this point without even having a clue as to what its about.

When a developer puts an announcement like this, its intended to build awareness and hype for the product. But when releases what look like old and dated screens, very little info, and little else, then yeah, we're going to analyze it and probably be skeptical about the game.

Do some of the forum lurkers here over analyze things? Sure, but at least most here aware of the state of gaming and like to comment on it.

If you're going to bitch and moan about everything, might I direct you to a site more to your tastes: http://disney.go.com/index

10. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:11 SamuraiSaint

Is it just me, or did they not show a single picture of a starship?

Now here is an example of the many "questions" and points you all have made. Now hmmm... Why would they not show a single picture of a starship or post much detailed information at this point?

hmm... I wonder what is going down on Aug 10th.... hmmm.. can i put the two together in my mind and figure it out?

9. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:08 SamuraiSaint

For a group of people that are oh so smart did you ever stop to think about the affect of scale on such a huge interactive space environment? (as just one point i could make)

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 11:12.

8. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:07 Overon

I'm sorry but everything from the developement history, the developer change (never a good sign), to the screenshots to the information that's been published makes me extremely skeptical.

I think this is going to get flagshipped. Prove me wrong.

7. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 11:02 Ecthelion

Is it just me, or did they not show a single picture of a starship?

6. No subject Jul 28, 2008, 10:57 wtf_man

I don't think it has much chance of being any good. I mean the company basically took over a bunch of unfinished art assets and stuffed them into their own engine. We don' even know how much of those original assets were kept. The point being that there hasn't been near enough development time (from the point of takeover) to make a real good Star Trek Game.

Oh... wait...