Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Revelations

The countdown on the Cryptic Studios Website has concluded with the expected revelation that the developer has taken the helm of development of Star Trek Online. The Star Trek Online Official Website is online, offering screenshots from the project, and confirming an official unveiling of the game will come at the Star Trek convention on August 10 in Las Vegas, which will be covered by a live webcast. Word is:

CRYPTIC STUDIOS LICENSES RIGHTS TO PRODUCE STAR TREK ONLINE

Trek Fans Worldwide Are Invited to MMO Gamplay Reveal at Annual Star Trek Convention August 10, 2008 or Via Live Webcast at http://www.startrekonline.com/

Los Gatos, Calif. – Cryptic Studios™, a leading developer and publisher of massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs), announced today that it has secured the global rights to develop and publish Star Trek® Online, a massively multiplayer online game based on the legendary Star Trek franchise, from CBS Consumer Products.

Cryptic will unveil the first Star Trek Online gameplay footage as well as details about this highly anticipated MMO at the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas on Sunday, August 10, 2008. Trek fans from around the globe can also view the event live via webcast at http://www.startrekonline.com/.

Interested participants can register today for the Star Trek Online webcast and to sign up for the STO community by visiting http://www.startrekonline.com/.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

99. Re: So, about starships Jul 29, 2008, 23:30 Ecthelion

Also, is there just nothing announced except Federation and Klingon? No Romulans? Ferengi? Cardassians? Breen? Borg? Or is it set in stone that it's just Federation & Klingons?
As much as I have always liked the idea of more choices for the player's race, it's not surprising that the game will start out pretty small. The trick will be if they're able to pull in enough loyal subscribers at launch to be able to justify expanding it to something that does the license justice.

I have my doubts about the game, but it looks like they're at least smart enough to not be unrealistically ambitious. The only way I can see a MMO worthy of the Star Trek name is to start fairly small, then build up to a true Star Trek universe, with exploration, diplomacy, and combat (hopefully in that order, at least for the Federation). But even then, such a game has a long uphill climb to succeed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

98. Re: Tommorrow War Jul 29, 2008, 19:46 Kxmode

Yeah. And its being published by 1C in Russian territories.

In Russian space Spaceship tell you to fire!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

97. So, about starships Jul 29, 2008, 19:31 Creston

It sounds like everyone now gets their own starship, that you crew with NPC crewmen? And you can upgrade your ship etc, whatever, but the idea that eventually, say, a guild could get a Galaxy class starship and needed ~ 60 or 70 people to fly it is no longer in the works?

To be honest, that idea seemed pretty cool to me.

Also, is there just nothing announced except Federation and Klingon? No Romulans? Ferengi? Cardassians? Breen? Borg? Or is it set in stone that it's just Federation & Klingons?

Creston

96. Re: Tommorrow War Jul 29, 2008, 17:21  dsmart 

Tomorrow War is being developed by an eastern European developer is it not? Thus historically speaking, it has a high chance of being a diamond in the rough. A lot of potential but bugs that make it fail. Not to mention the usual starforce or some other deal breaking drm scheme.

Yeah. And its being published by 1C in Russian territories. No word yet about an English version.

Its going to be in league with the likes of The Precursors I think. They're both developed over there

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

95. Re: Tommorrow War Jul 29, 2008, 15:40 Overon

Tomorrow War is being developed by an eastern European developer is it not? Thus historically speaking, it has a high chance of being a diamond in the rough. A lot of potential but bugs that make it fail. Not to mention the usual starforce or some other deal breaking drm scheme.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 15:42.

94. Re: Tommorrow War Jul 29, 2008, 15:16 Kxmode

Edit: I removed my comment.

-----
This comment was edited on Jul 29, 15:32.

93. Re: Tommorrow War Jul 29, 2008, 14:09  dsmart 

Derek, dont take my word for it, or even the publishers, just head out to youtube check out the numerous gameplay videos.

Basically this game has seamless atmosphere to space transitioning, combat and navigation in both areas, and graphics that are well groundbraking to say the least.

I am well aware of the game as I've seen the shots, watched the movies etc. As I said in my post, there is absolutely nothing ground breaking about it.

Apart from the fact that - in this climate - they'd be lucky to sell 1000 copies. Especially since - graphics aside - there is nothing IMO that sets it apart from the current crop of space combat games.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

92. Tommorrow War Jul 29, 2008, 13:24 Tumbler

Just finished watching the tommorrow war stuff on YouTube, I'm interested in this game now. I think what did it was the flight of fighters coming down into some clouds, simple little thing, but it was gorgeous.

Going to look for this one in the future.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

91. Re: Screenshots? Jul 29, 2008, 12:37 Kxmode

what those idiotic tossers are posting abou quality, heh, they're not even engine lit.

That sentence is full of fail.

-----

90. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 11:43 grudgebearer

HellSlayer

By these standards, who are you to criticize him? At least he has some titles....

No, your logic is flawed. See I visit these forums as a consumer, Derk visits the forums as a "game developer." There is a big difference between me ragging on a game and Derk ragging on a game.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 11:45.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

89. No subject Jul 29, 2008, 11:36 KilrathiAce

I see boys are still fighting over the visuals. Gameplay is what matters here, and I have a bad feeling about actual Star Trek Online gameplay/combat details. Do they have the balls to make it really deep in strategic/tactical aspect with many rules? or will it be "shoot em up" type of deal.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

88. Re: Screenshots? Jul 29, 2008, 11:00 InBlack

Derek, dont take my word for it, or even the publishers, just head out to youtube check out the numerous gameplay videos.

Basically this game has seamless atmosphere to space transitioning, combat and navigation in both areas, and graphics that are well groundbraking to say the least.

I have a nifty blue line!

87. Re: Screenshots? Jul 29, 2008, 07:41  dsmart 

Flame smart all you want but those last screenshots he showed of his upcoming galactic command game are cool.

And contrary to what those idiotic tossers are posting abou quality, heh, they're not even engine lit. Thats just the stock MAX ambient lighting. They're purely the levels as screen captured directly from MAX.

We built the entire ship from the inside out and directly from the schematics you see in the shots. The entire ship. Not just one level.

In my previous Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games, you had an entire cap ship being crewed by capable NPC personnel - and you tracked them via a computer system called PERSCAN and gave them orders via another computer, TACTICAL.

In KnightBlade, I take it one step further. They're all in 3D since the entire game takes place inside and outside the ship. So as the commander, you can walk around the bridge (control the ship from there), walk into engineering and interact with your engineers, walk (or take a turbo-shaft) to the flight deck, hop in a fighter, fly out of the carrier etc.

All I did was enhance my previous technologies and brought the whole thing into full 3D with zero compromises - now that computers are powerful enough to handle it. In fact, the PC version is SM 3.0 only.

I'm not one take the shortcut and those who constantly buy my games - and thus keep me in business all these, what? Nineteen years (!), know this. Thats why, well, they keep buying them. Sure I have a small install base compared to other game genres but it sure is big enough to keep us operating. So after all, isn't that all that matters?

Most of those screenshots look suspiciously like concept art, or at best some 'game' geometry mixed with concept art (and some additional painting on top).

The only one that's readily identifiable as an in-game screenshot is the one with the giant mushrooms.

NONE of them look or feel like something out of a Star Trek game. None of them look better than things I've seen from other space games recently or even EVE Online for a more direct comparison.

All in all, not a stellar way to announce this game.

Exactly. But don't say it too loudly our you'll just get flamed. But since you're not Derek Smart, probably not.

Surprised no one's mentioned it, the game "Tomorrow War" is coming out this fall (in English), is going to wipe the floor with any and all space combat sims out there.

Seriously? By whose yardstick exactly? I don't think so.

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/the-tomorrow-war/overview

86. Re: Screenshots? Jul 29, 2008, 06:02 InBlack

Surprised no one's mentioned it, the game "Tomorrow War" is coming out this fall (in English), is going to wipe the floor with any and all space combat sims out there.

If they make ST:Online anything like that (which I doubt very, very much) it will rule.

Anyway as much as I like complicated and engaging sims that require time and dedication to learn and master, this kind of gameplay doesnt really pan out that well in any kind of MMO format, even EvE has realtively simple click on target - fire guns gameplay mechanics (not talking about the very deep tactical ship and fleet mechanics)

I have a nifty blue line!

85. Re: Screenshots? Jul 29, 2008, 03:54 The Half Elf

Honestly I'm happy it was 'saved', and glad that Cryptic is doing it over what Perpetual was going to do with it.

But from what I can tell in the space screen shots, is it looks mostly like a 'showcase' zone. But what does concern me is the orbital stations all around the planet. Are they the equivalent of the docking rings in Freelancer (which I hated)?

The planetside shots look way to... cartoony, and way to much Champions Online.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

84. Screenshots? Jul 29, 2008, 03:26 Ruffiana

Most of those screenshots look suspiciously like concept art, or at best some 'game' geometry mixed with concept art (and some additional painting on top).

The only one that's readily identifiable as an in-game screenshot is the one with the giant mushrooms.

NONE of them look or feel like something out of a Star Trek game. None of them look better than things I've seen from other space games recently or even EVE Online for a more direct comparison.

All in all, not a stellar way to announce this game.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 03:29.

83. No subject Jul 29, 2008, 02:32 HellSlayer

If he is going to sling mud he needs to clean up his own first. When you put out a game that looks as bad as his do, you have no room to criticize.

By these standards, who are you to criticize him? At least he has some titles....:)

If you would die tomorrow...what then? John 3:16
God gave man dominion--the pains you see are because of our decisions--not His!

o0

82. Re: ... Jul 28, 2008, 23:26 Kosumo

... That was, fucking funny.

thanks theyarecomingforyou

81. ... Jul 28, 2008, 23:13 theyarecomingforyou

Then this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!! Absolute genius! That made my day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

80. Re: DSmart Jul 28, 2008, 22:59 nin

I think this is my favorite screen yet: http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gcES/08-02-20/PHOTO009.PNG

At first I thought my LCD monitor was melting from the inside... then I realized it was supposed to look like that.

Damn... that's just fugly.

Yet funny as hell!

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo